Visit site
✟10,999.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
The chant is the Beatitudes by the Valaam monks, there's a video with Russian subtitles on youtube as well. I'd like to know what the icon at 2:44 is. I thought the Father was never supposed to be depicted?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmiDev34LgQ

Upvote 0

laconicstudent

Sep 25, 2009
✟16,224.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
The chant is the Beatitudes by the Valaam monks, there's a video with Russian subtitles on youtube as well. I'd like to know what the icon at 2:44 is. I thought the Father was never supposed to be depicted?

Thanks, and yeah, that icon there gave me pause as well....

Hmmm, well, I guess it is reasonable to assume the maker of the video didn't realize that and accidentally used an image that he liked instead o a proper icon? That's what seems most likely.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Khaleas

Also known as Jenn the Finn :)
Feb 2, 2005
Virginia
✟9,581.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Technically the Father is not supposed to be depicted, but there is many icons around depicting him (especially in Russia and Russian churches). There has been many, mostly ending badly, discussions about it here as well. They were seen as comfort giving to a lot of people during the Soviet times so they're just going to be around until they maybe get replaced.

Upvote 0

Aesjn

Mar 9, 2008
Tir nam Blath
✟880.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Now, of course, looking at the theological justification for the Rublev icon which is completely canonical and not questioned at all - it seems like there is an inconsistancy in the statement that Jesus can be depicted because he had took on a form but the Father cannot be because he has never appeared in way shape or form. :/

I know all the times God appeared in the Old Testament is said that it was really Jesus, not the Father, but then... if all three appear it gets sketchy.

And the LORD appeared to [Abraham] by the oaks of Mamre, as he sat at the door of his tent in the heat of the day. He lifted up his eyes and looked, and behold, three men stood in front of him. When he saw them, he ran from the tent door to meet them, and bowed himself to the earth, and said, "My lord, if I have found favor in your sight, do not pass by your servant. Let a little water be brought, and wash your feet, and rest yourselves under the tree, while I fetch a morsel of bread, that you may refresh yourselves, and after that you may pass on - since you have come to your servant." So they said, "Do as you have said." (Gen 18:1-5)

Upvote 0

Protoevangel

Smash the Patriarchy!
Feb 6, 2004
Eugene, OR
✟33,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
The icon at 2:44 is OK. It represents the trinity in the form of three angels that visited Abraham. It's style is called The Holy Trinity. I think the original was written by Rublev well before any westernizing tendencies in Russian art.
This is absolutely true. The Icon is OK. It is not really the Father whom is being depicted here, but the three angels who visited Abraham.

Now, of course, looking at the theological justification for the Rublev icon which is completely canonical and not questioned at all - it seems like there is an inconsistancy in the statement that Jesus can be depicted because he had took on a form but the Father cannot be because he has never appeared in way shape or form. :/

I know all the times God appeared in the Old Testament is said that it was really Jesus, not the Father, but then... if all three appear it gets sketchy.
What are you talking about? there is nothing inconsistent or "sketchy" here. The Angels can be depicted because they came to Earth, and were seem by man. Jesus can be depicted, because He took the form of a man. God the Father cannot be depicted, because He has not been seen by man.

Upvote 0

laconicstudent

Sep 25, 2009
✟16,224.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

Protoevangel

Smash the Patriarchy!
Feb 6, 2004
Eugene, OR
✟33,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

-Kyriaki-

seeking answers in stillness
Sep 30, 2002
South Australia
Visit site
✟23,127.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Well, I survived a week away. There were some good things - I went out in the boat and saw dolphins, I ate a very yummy schnitzel kilpatrick, I saw my dying great aunt before she passes away (and the first thing she demanded once she said hello was whether I was still stitching - of course I'd brought my workbag and I had that big piece I finished last weekend, and she was pleased) and caught up with a couple friends, but mostly I was bored, didn't sleep well (terrible bed) and missed Andrew. Oh well!

I saw Andrew last night for a few hours, and we're going out for chocolate waffles tonight, mmmmmm!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

-Kyriaki-

seeking answers in stillness
Sep 30, 2002
South Australia
Visit site
✟23,127.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Well, Andrew had waffles. And crepes with lemon and sugar. I had a giant crepe, with chocolate ganache, marshmallows and chopped nuts inside. And then more marshmallows, chocolate and nuts on top. I felt sick by the time I finished eating it but it was worth it...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.