Resi
✟24,557.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I have a rosary of St Benedict that arrived today and some medals. I already prayed with it. Does it really need to be blessed by a priest so we can use it? Some say that through our faith the medals can act as a way of protection (through our faith). So that's why I ask if they need be bless by a priest. I don't know if I really believe on a priest blessing.

Last edited:

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I have a rosary of St Benedict that arrived today and some medals. I already prayed with it. Does it really need to be blessed by a priest so we can use it? Some say that through our faith the medals can act as a way of protection (through our faith). So that's why I ask if they need be bless by a priest. I don't know if I really believe on a priest blessing.
No, you don't. For one thing, it's not a rosary. Rosaries, i.e. the so-called Dominican Rosary that is so important to Catholics and believed to be the key to various spiritual blessings, has a special standing. What I think you have is a 'chaplet,' one of hundreds of bead sets that are dedicated to some saint or purpose. But if it's an actual rosary that has had some medals attached to it (of St. Benedict, for example), you still do not absolutely need to have it blessed, although most Catholics do prefer having their rosaries blessed.

Reactions: Lord'sWarrior
Upvote 0

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
@Guerrier ....What non-denomination you be in?
I've never heard of one that has it's members using any type of rosaries.

Besides none of that is needed, Jesus didn't teach his disciples
to do that.
Jesus gives instructions on how to pray here in chapter 11 of Luke.
Use it as an outline.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I have a rosary of St Benedict that arrived today and some medals. I already prayed with it. Does it really need to be blessed by a priest so we can use it?

You read anywhere in the Bible anything about rosaries, medals, or St. Benedict? I don't. I certainly don't read anything in Scripture about a priest blessing these things. If I were following a cake recipe and started throwing in things not in the recipe like dish soap or sliced pickles, how do you suppose the cake will look and taste when I'm done baking it? Not very good. It seems to me you're throwing extra ingredients into the "recipe" of a relationship with God and the result is going to be a relationship with Him that has a very odd look and flavour.

Some say that through our faith the medals can act as a way of protection (through our faith). So that's why I ask if they need be bless by a priest. I don't know if I really believe on a priest blessing.

Do you realize how superstitious this sounds? Again, I read no where in the Bible about medals of protection. Instead, I read:

Psalms 46:1-2
1... God is our refuge and strength, A very present help in trouble.
2 Therefore we will not fear, Even though the earth be removed, And though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea...

What need do you have of superstitious amulets of protection when God is your refuge and strength?

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Personally, I believe things like that are holy because of how they are used. Just like I have never had an icon blessed, I don't believe it is necessary.

But I know many traditional Catholics like to have things like medals or rosaries blessed. I suppose it is ultimately up to you.

You read anywhere in the Bible anything about rosaries, medals, or St. Benedict? I don't. I certainly don't read anything in Scripture about a priest blessing these things. If I were following a cake recipe and started throwing in things not in the recipe like dish soap or sliced pickles, how do you suppose the cake will look and taste when I'm done baking it? Not very good. It seems to me you're throwing extra ingredients into the "recipe" of a relationship with God and the result is going to be a relationship with Him that has a very odd look and flavour.

In the past I have found those sorts of things helpful, particularly when my faith was weak, and I can understand why people feel the need to have physical reminders of God's presence. Sometimes a cerebral, notional idea of God just won't do.

Years ago I got a concussion and I laid in a hospital bed after being told I might have bleeding in my brain and all I had was a prayer rope and the Jesus Prayer. I was not in such good relationship with my priest and he did not bother to come to see me but just praying and holding the prayer rope helped get me through a difficult time.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: “Paisios”
Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
It is good to have your rosary blessed

But it is not something you have to rush out and do right now

The blessing is to show that we are taking something that is from this world, and dedicating it to furthering the Kingdom of God
Like if you use a bowl for popcorn and someone else uses it for mud, well you might be mad but how can you say “no this bowl is only for popcorn” they will just say back “no it is only for mud” and everything sinks into the subjective
So getting your rosary blessed means you are taking a hard stand that this little thing of metal and beads and string is dedicated to be used in prayer!

• Useful
Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0