Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm wondering the influence St. Augustine has had on the Eastern Orthodox Church. I know he's considered a Saint to you, but was he as influential to the Orthodox as to the western Church?
Why do you think he was so influential to the Western church when he was the ONLY ONE that taught Original Sin and Predestination....

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'm wondering the influence St. Augustine has had on the Eastern Orthodox Church. I know he's considered a Saint to you, but was he as influential to the Orthodox as to the western Church?

as influential? no, but it depends on what the topic is.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Why do you think he was so influential to the Western church when he was the ONLY ONE that taught Original Sin and Predestination....

because his influence was more than Original Sin and predestination.

also, he wasn't the only one who taught those.

Upvote 0

Julian of Norwich

English Catholic
Nov 10, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟81,981.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
as influential? no, but it depends on what the topic is.

Thank you. I've been wondering that, but now am curious just what he was influential about to the Orthodox? He was helpful in fighting a number of heresies that had sprung up, I know.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: GodsGrace101
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thank you. I've been wondering that, but now am curious just what he was influential about to the Orthodox? He was helpful in fighting a number of heresies that had sprung up, I know.

the Cappadocians and St John Chrysostom had a far greater influence on us.

Upvote 0

Julian of Norwich

English Catholic
Nov 10, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟81,981.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
the Cappadocians and St John Chrysostom had a far greater influence on us.

What I know of St John Chrysostom impresses me, however I don't know anything about the Cappadocians. I'll find out about them, thanks.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
What I know of St John Chrysostom impresses me, however I don't know anything about the Cappadocians. I'll find out about them, thanks.

Sts Basil the Great, Gregory the Theologian, Gregory of Nyssa

Reactions: Faroutreality
Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,180,780.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
St Augustine only wrote in Latin AFAIK, and his works were not translated into Greek. There was such a wealth of theological material available in Greek already that there would not have been much motivation to look anywhere else.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Julian of Norwich

English Catholic
Nov 10, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟81,981.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
St Augustine only wrote in Latin AFAIK, and his works were not translated into Greek. There was such a wealth of theological material available in Greek already that there would not have been much motivation to look anywhere else.

That makes a lot of sense!

Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
because his influence was more than Original Sin and predestination.

also, he wasn't the only one who taught those.
Hi ArmyMatt
I know that Augustine had a big influence on the Catholic Church and I also wonder if it was the same for the Orthodox Church.

Augustine changed the way Original Sin was thought of.
Before him, infants were baptized but not for the same reason. After him, infants were baptized because it was believed they would go to hell due to Original Sin.
He was the church father that taught the doctrine that Original Sin was imputed to everyone....instead of it having an effect on everyone. BTW, the Catholic Church has changed its position on this stating that infants that are not baptized are left to the mercy of God. In the past it taught that they were lost.

Also, to be quite honest, I don't know of any other father that came before him that taught predestination....I argue this with the reformed and have never found a father, besides, Augustine, that taught predestination (except for some gnostics).

Anyway, any information you give would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Upvote 0

Jude1:3Contendforthefaith

Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟530,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have not read this book yet, but I still think it might help you OP. It's by Fr. Seraphim Rose called :
"The Place of Blessed Augustine in the Orthodox Church" :

The Place of Blessed Augustine in the Orthodox Church by Fr. Seraphim Rose

blaug-2T.jpg

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hi ArmyMatt
I know that Augustine had a big influence on the Catholic Church and I also wonder if it was the same for the Orthodox Church.

Augustine changed the way Original Sin was thought of.
Before him, infants were baptized but not for the same reason. After him, infants were baptized because it was believed they would go to hell due to Original Sin.
He was the church father that taught the doctrine that Original Sin was imputed to everyone....instead of it having an effect on everyone. BTW, the Catholic Church has changed its position on this stating that infants that are not baptized are left to the mercy of God. In the past it taught that they were lost.

Also, to be quite honest, I don't know of any other father that came before him that taught predestination....I argue this with the reformed and have never found a father, besides, Augustine, that taught predestination (except for some gnostics).

Anyway, any information you give would be appreciated.

Thanks!

actually, the idea of original sin began before him. Ambrosiaster taught it and I think Tertullian hinted at it. both were prior to St Augustine. he just really hashed it out.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
actually, the idea of original sin began before him. Ambrosiaster taught it and I think Tertullian hinted at it. both were prior to St Augustine. he just really hashed it out.
I've read a little about them.
This is indeed a very compless subject matter.
Ambrosiaster believed in predestination but that men prepare themselves for it with good works and thus will be the called by God.

The Catholic Church also recognizes that good works can lead to salvation. (belief in God).

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I've read a little about them.
This is indeed a very compless subject matter.
Ambrosiaster believed in predestination but that men prepare themselves for it with good works and thus will be the called by God.

The Catholic Church also recognizes that good works can lead to salvation. (belief in God).

right, so this didn't originate with St Augustine and obviously had an influence on the Christian West.

Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
right, so this didn't originate with St Augustine and obviously had an influence on the Christian West.
Augustine stated that man is predestined to being lost, but that it's up to man to save himself.

Calvinists have taken this and made it into double predestination which states that each person is predestined either to being saved or being lost by God.

I find that neither Augustine nor Ambrosiaster agreed with this Calvinist view.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Augustine stated that man is predestined to being lost, but that it's up to man to save himself.

Calvinists have taken this and made it into double predestination which states that each person is predestined either to being saved or being lost by God.

I find that neither Augustine nor Ambrosiaster agreed with this Calvinist view.

well, you initially asked about his influence on the West.

and St Augustine never said it's up to man to save himself. that's Pelegianism which was a heresy St Augustine fought against.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
well, you initially asked about his influence on the West.

and St Augustine never said it's up to man to save himself. that's Pelegianism which was a heresy St Augustine fought against.
That wasn't me asking about Augustine's influence in the O.P. My question had been WHY his doctrines were so accepted by the church at that time.

As to Pelagianism...I never said Augustine believed what Pelagius did...this is a misunderstanding, I might have worded my post wrongly...Augustine said that God saved a man, but if he falls, he falls alone.

The teaching is different but not worth getting into here.

Upvote 0