Mar 18, 2004
São Paulo - SP - Brazil
✟16,572.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Dear friends,

I was reading about St. Sabbas the Goth, a Christian martyr from Wallachia, and his hagiography mentions that he was Baptized by Wulfilas, an Arian bishop!

Also, I remember I've read somwhere that St. Isaac the Syrian was the Nestorian bishop of Nineveh (present-day Mosul).

So, if Arianism and Nestorianism have been condemned many times by the Church as heresies, how is it possible that an Arian and a Nestorian can be considered Saints? (I'm not saying that they aren't, I just want to know "how").

Any input will be much appreciated.

In XC,
Rick

Prawnik

Pit Bull Terrier
Nov 1, 2004
✟17,275.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Reading the Life of St. Sabbas, perhaps the reason he is revered as a Saint, in spite of his Arian baptism, is because, in spite of defects, he lived and suffered for Christ. Remember that Orthodox teachings were as rare as hen's teeth among the Goths and Franks of the day (IIRC, all their hierarchs were Arians at that time) and so perhaps he gets some leeway on that account.

IIRC, the Emperor Constantine was also baptised by an Arian priest. This was done because the Emperor was dying, and an Arian priest was all that was available.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.