Pacific Northwest
✟19,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'm not sure how many people here are in to weight lifting but I thought I'd ask. I've been getting back into the gym routine. One of my favorite exercises is squats, which is amazing for burning calories and reducing stress. But I seem to struggle with coordinating the muscles and I tend to put a bit of pressure on my knees. I've watched some videos, but I want to ask if anyone here has had experience feeling they were putting too much pressure on the knees? How did you resolve it?

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure how many people here are in to weight lifting but I thought I'd ask. I've been getting back into the gym routine. One of my favorite exercises is squats, which is amazing for burning calories and reducing stress. But I seem to struggle with coordinating the muscles and I tend to put a bit of pressure on my knees. I've watched some videos, but I want to ask if anyone here has had experience feeling they were putting too much pressure on the knees? How did you resolve it?
I think Box Squats are less stressful on the knees. A really good exercise is to sit on the floor and then get up without touching anything with your upper body.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,584.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
They're great if you have the knees for it :)

I unfortunately don't anymore (running has taken a bit of a toll on them), so I've replaced them with the leg press/"sled".

If you are going to do squats, I'd recommend working with someone who's proficient so they can provide tips for proper form. Using good form for your heavy compound lifts are are crucial for preventing injuries and getting the best results from them.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Yes.
Stop putting pressure on the knees so much. (lose weight if needed (that's what I'm working on) )...
Do fewer squats, or find another exercise (like walking, bicycling, swimming, horseback riding, or (best of all) small trampoline jumping (the little 4 foot wide at home inside trampolines) . )

Upvote 0