Feb 23, 2004
✟380,149.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
In a statement responding to LeMay's incident, Ring said that "while [they] are still investigating this issue, [they] are able to confirm this incident is in no way related to a breach or compromise of Ring's security."
How can they confirm that it wasn't a security breach or compromise if they are still investigating the issue? Besides, when people do get hacked, most of the time it is through an exploit they had not previously considered to be a serious threat, or considered at all. The most they can confirm - to be extremely generous - is that the systems they know to check did not show signs of breach or compromise. This doesn't mean there aren't loopholes in those systems they don't know about, or there wasn't an exploit beyond the scope of those systems entirely.

• Informative
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
There are ways to minimize this problem, but people are going to have to start holding back on putting everything about themselves onto all the electronic devices that are being produced these days, don't you think?

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,149.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
There are ways to minimize this problem, but people are going to have to start holding back on putting everything about themselves onto all the electronic devices that are being produced these days, don't you think?
It seems parents can't win these days. Kidnapping and human trafficking is a serious problem that has become more public and deserves serious attention. Since it's more visible, people want to find more ways to protect their kids. Put up cameras in your home to scare off and help catch intruders, and people can hack them and use them to spy on your family. Take the cameras away, and you're accepting more risk for your family. Put bars in the kid's windows to keep intruders out, and passersby that see them think you're trafficking kids. Don't put them up, and you're accepting more risk for your family. Etc.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,149.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
How about Siri? Do you think we could maybe stick with a print directory instead of installing a listening device in our living rooms? Or doing all of our banking online?
There's definite value in reducing your attack surface. I'm not going to say that online banking isn't safe if you actually know what you're doing.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Indeed. We have home security vendors knock on the door from time to time. Each time they are greeted by my personal home security system named Molly-Penny 2.0. The man obviously backed up 7-10 steps as I answered the door and Molly and Penny gave him a dressing down. I introduced him to my reliable 24/7 system and said “I’m good.”

Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0