Spouse of U.S. soldier killed in Afghanistan deported, 12-year-old daughter left without parents

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Spouse of U.S. soldier killed in Afghanistan deported, 12-year-old daughter left without parents
PHOENIX - Immigration officials have deported the spouse of a U.S. soldier killed in Afghanistan, leaving the couple’s 12-year-old daughter, Evelyn Gonzalez Vieyra a U.S. citizen, in Phoenix without parents, according to the deported man's lawyer.

Jose Gonzalez Carranza, 30, was arrested by Immigration and Customs Enforcement officers last Monday on his way to his welding job and then deported to Nogales, Mexico, on Wednesday, said Ezequiel Hernandez, a Phoenix attorney.

Reached by phone, Gonzalez said he has been living in a shelter for deported migrants in Nogales, Mexico, a city he doesn't know, and is worried about his daughter.

"I feel so bad," Gonzalez said. "I'm thinking about, I might never see her again."
tulc( :sigh: )

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
What matters is that this is a betrayal of an American soldier, who gave her life for us, only to have the surviving parent taken from her child.

Apparently, the outcry was sufficient to shame even the current administration to reverse itself. Dad has been returned home.
Husband of fallen soldier who was deported returns to Phoenix

• Agree
Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I feel bad for the daughter. What was ICE's case against him? That matters.

I was reading another article, and apparently he didn't show up for hearings because they sent notices to the wrong house. Not sure if he moved or they just didn't have the right one. When you don't come to hearings you take risk of deportation. He was here illegally, but married the soldier that was killed. He did get granted what is known as parole in place, which allows immigrants in the country illegally to remain in the U.S. without the threat of deportation. THat was due to his widow status of a soldier. Yet, that was after ICE caught up to him after the hearings he didn't show up for.

In other words, it was mess. It's to bad he didn't have decent representation at the time, because the notices to court would have found him. Then he wouldn't have had to experience this.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I was reading another article, and apparently he didn't show up for hearings because they sent notices to the wrong house. Not sure if he moved or they just didn't have the right one. When you don't come to hearings you take risk of deportation. He was here illegally, but married the soldier that was killed. He did get granted what is known as parole in place, which allows immigrants in the country illegally to remain in the U.S. without the threat of deportation. THat was due to his widow status of a soldier. Yet, that was after ICE caught up to him after the hearings he didn't show up for.

In other words, it was mess. It's to bad he didn't have decent representation at the time, because the notices to court would have found him. Then he wouldn't have had to experience this.
Yeah, he didn't show up for the hearings, but on what basis did ICE re-file the case? What did they have on him outside of his immigration status? That's what I was getting at.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,063.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I was reading another article, and apparently he didn't show up for hearings because they sent notices to the wrong house. Not sure if he moved or they just didn't have the right one. When you don't come to hearings you take risk of deportation.

I wonder how often they've played that game since Trump took office.

Upvote 0

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, he didn't show up for the hearings, but on what basis did ICE re-file the case? What did they have on him outside of his immigration status? That's what I was getting at.

These articles normally don't get into that. WHO knows the government has done stupid stuff for years on end, and it won't stop now.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums