Spouse Considering Abortion

Apr 24, 2013
✟8,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We are both older parents in our 40's with a younger child. My wife and I have a beautiful 2-year-old girl. This child has been a huge blessing that we prayed for and needed in our lives. Despite all the work, we love her more than anything else.

However, my wife suffers from anxiety, depression, Fibromyalgia; back, neck and bladder pain - among other health issues. She had to get off a lot of helpful medications during her last pregnancy and it was extremely exhausting and miserable for her.

She just found out she was pregnant last weekend and was pretty devastated. We thought we were being careful. She had to get off the birth control pill because of hormone imbalances. Needless to say, this one was not planned.

I am trying to be positive during this whole thing, but I would be lying if I was not worried about everything. My wife is petrified about the chances of down syndrome being far greater in our age range. Plus, the medications she has been taking also increase the chances of birth defects.

She is seriously considering an abortion due to all the worries and the pain of pregnancy again. Her anxiety is through the roof at the moment. Anxiety for her has been so bad in the past that she voluntarily committed herself 3 separate times. These are memories are prefer not to dwell on too much. God got us through those terrible moments.

We are both believers in Jesus, but she is still relatively young in the faith. Her pregnancy is also very early. She is seriously considering doing a pill abortion. I do think her going through with it would be a horrible mistake and a regretful, grievous sin. Me bringing up the subject and putting in my opinion just makes her angry and emotional.

Despite all this, I am not upset with her. I do have a deep, sorrowful heart at the moment. I have been doing nothing but seeking the Lord for a solid week and crying out for mercy. Please pray that she does not go through with it and that she has a smooth pregnancy which leads to a happy, healthy baby.

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟719,325.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
We are both older parents in our 40's with a younger child. My wife and I have a beautiful 2-year-old girl. This child has been a huge blessing that we prayed for and needed in our lives. Despite all the work, we love her more than anything else.

However, my wife suffers from anxiety, depression, Fibromyalgia; back, neck and bladder pain - among other health issues. She had to get off a lot of helpful medications during her last pregnancy and it was extremely exhausting and miserable for her.

She just found out she was pregnant last weekend and was pretty devastated. We thought we were being careful. She had to get off the birth control pill because of hormone imbalances. Needless to say, this one was not planned.

I am trying to be positive during this whole thing, but I would be lying if I was not worried about everything. My wife is petrified about the chances of down syndrome being far greater in our age range. Plus, the medications she has been taking also increase the chances of birth defects.

She is seriously considering an abortion due to all the worries and the pain of pregnancy again. Her anxiety is through the roof at the moment. Anxiety for her has been so bad in the past that she voluntarily committed herself 3 separate times. These are memories are prefer not to dwell on too much. God got us through those terrible moments.

We are both believers in Jesus, but she is still relatively young in the faith. Her pregnancy is also very early. She is seriously considering doing a pill abortion. I do think her going through with it would be a horrible mistake and a regretful, grievous sin. Me bringing up the subject and putting in my opinion just makes her angry and emotional.

Despite all this, I am not upset with her. I do have a deep, sorrowful heart at the moment. I have been doing nothing but seeking the Lord for a solid week and crying out for mercy. Please pray that she does not go through with it and that she has a smooth pregnancy which leads to a happy, healthy baby.

God got us through those terrible moments.

and He will again ;o)

Upvote 0

Xenophon

Jul 16, 2020
Smithfield
✟17,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy! Preserve them and the child, Lord, and give peace and rest - clarity of thought and heart, remission of sin, and repentance - give strength so that nothing regrettable will be done in this time of crisis.

Upvote 0

Unofficial Reverand Alex

Pray in silence...God speaks softly
Site Supporter
Dec 22, 2017
The Mystical Lands of Rural Indiana
Visit site
✟526,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
We're praying for both of you, and your little baby.:pray: .All things considered, you do seem to be here doing this well, and I pray that your wife may also have the pc of god through all this.

Upvote 0

Endeavourer

Aug 30, 2017
Cloud 9
✟89,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So sad to hear of this.

Some women have lifetime repercussions of guilt, grieving and depression after having an abortion. There are ministry groups that come beside these women to help them overcome this and be able to move on in their lives.

Be careful to not exchange one problem for something even worse.

If I lived near you I'd love to offer help with meals and/or child care or even housecleaning to help her through this difficult time. Is any support available from your church?

Praying for your wife to feel hope and strength to face her near future.
((hugs))

Upvote 0

Alicia Hope

Aug 6, 2020
Southeast
✟7,722.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I understand living with anxiety and multiple health problems while being pregnant. 2 of my pregnancies were very difficult as I wrestled with fear, hopelessness, and horrible fatigue and pain; however, God was faithful. When you look into the eyes of your little girl could you imagine life without her laughter, her hugs, her little feet running to you? The child your wife carries is another beautiful child that will love you just as much. Abortion will not solve this issue as it will bring about more pain, guilt, and horrible suffering. I have worked with women in similar situations and they never regret having their baby but they ALWAYS regret an abortion. I will pray for your family to choose life and seek God even more for His love, protection, and peace. Don't be afraid to reach out to local life-affirming support groups and your church for help. I know the little one has a purpose in life and I hope you see it too. Blessings my friend

Upvote 0

foodcooppres

Aug 6, 2020
Spring Arbor
✟7,832.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Widowed
I'm so sorry to hear about this challenge. But I want to encourage you and your wife that sometimes what seems like the worst news turns out to be an incredible blessing and opportunity for spiritual growth. Let me tell you about an unplanned pregnancy I had. I was 40 years old, already had 3 children, a house and car both too small for another person, paying 2 mortgages, as we had just moved and our old house didn't sell, and I was suffering from terrible asthma and depression in the new home. I thought about abortion, but knew it was not what God wanted, and I knew He must have sent this baby for a reason, so I prayed for help to love this child. God answered amazingly! I found some herbs that relieved the asthma, God led us to a midwife for a wonderful home birth, my best ever, our old house sold just in time for us to get a van we could all fit in, and my husband and I grew deeper in our faith as we met this challenge. That daughter grew up to be a wonderful woman, a psychologist who helps a lot of people. My older daughter died of cancer, so this is now my ONLY daughter, and she's the one who will care for me when I'm old. I don't know what I would do without her. God knew we needed her. May the Lord guide you both in the path He has chosen, and bring health, encouragement, and faith to your wife. God bless you.

Upvote 0

pink318

Mar 23, 2018
Riverside
✟13,744.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Hi- You are such a very good husband to your wife. She is going through a lot of health issues right now and your support is much needed in this trying time. I want to encourage you to talk with your Pastor. It would be great if both of you will seek counselling together. Through counselling, your wife will be reminded about God's Word and His love for her.

I have a sister who has a cleft palate and some says it’s hereditary. I was worried, I prayed and my son’s lip was OK.

My youngest sister is a menopausal baby, the doctor said there was a big chance that my sister has down-syndrome because of my Mom’s old age. My Mom was worried because she has a friend almost the same age as her, she also gave birth to a baby who has down syndrome. She prayed. My sister is OK and she has her own family now.

If you are already in a life group, attend regularly. It would be helpful for your wife, so she will be encouraged by the brethren's encounter with God. Please stay strong. Thank you for being there for your wife. When we were newly married, I was a baby Christian and I thank God that my husband did not give up on me.

“God got us through those terrible moments.” He will do it again. He is the same yesterday, today and forever.

I pray that your wife will keep the baby. God’s peace will surround both of you and I also pray that things will go smoothly, healthy pregnancy- healthy Mom and baby. Nothing is too hard for God. Keep believing. God bless your family. Please keep us posted.

Upvote 0

Jennywren24

Aug 6, 2020
South Bend IN
✟15,302.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aurora Bates

Aug 6, 2020
Ottawa
✟15,221.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Thank you for your compassion towards your wife and little ones. My Grandmother, Mother, and I have all lived with anxiety. Grandma said she was cured when the Church Elders prayed over her. My Mother took medicine for awhile before being able to quit. Your Doctor may, also, be able to prescribe newer medication that doesn't have a harsh effect on pregnancy.

My Aunt and her Daughters-in-Law were all advised to have abortions rather than carry geriatric pregnancies full-term. Today, their children are healthy and productive members of society.

My Brother and Sister-in-Law married in their forties. My Sister-in-Law carried their daughter for four months. Losing this much-wished-for child was devastating for all us, especially, since they have not been able to have any children. At the time of my niece's death, I wrote to my Minister that my niece had offered her body as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God. (Romans 12:1) I pray you will contemplate verse 2, as well, "Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is, his good, pleasing and perfect will." My prayers are with you.

Upvote 0

Jennywren24

Aug 6, 2020
South Bend IN
✟15,302.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I can understand her fears and wanting to protect herself from possible great difficulty during her pregnancy. I have a friend, Jean, from China who had a 17 year old son, whose husband got his doctorate but didn't have a job yet, who was fearful of what others would think, and she was too old (40) to have a baby. She called me, in shock, trying to figure out what to do. God is the giver of life and doesn't give us the option to take life. As she brought up her logic, I kept reminding her that it wasn't her responsibility to worry about that. She didn't know how long she would be pregnant, what God had planned, etc. I asked her to wait a few days, think it through, call the Pastor, talk to him. (We were heading out of town that day.) She was a pretty new believer, her husband had been struggling with Hepatitis B for several years. They did call the pastor, he came and talked to them. They decided to trust God and they were so blessed. Her husband, X., got really sick after he got a great job, and when they little one was about 1 year old, his older brother took him back to China to stay with the grandparents. Grandma had lost one son, so X. made his wife promise to never tell his mom that he died (he knew it wouldn't be too long.) The older brother had to go back to pick up little Christopher. What a crazy time, and after X. went on to Heaven and his mom would call they would talk to her and tell her he wasn't available. Little Christopher became such a joy to his mom, and X.'s employer gave support for the family until Chris was 18. How God abundantly provided by His great grace. While the older brother was in college, Jean was able to work part time and have a Bible study for many Chinese ladies, who then had the opportunity to learn about Jesus. After he graduated, and Chris went off to college, she moved in with her older son. We can't see God's plans before they happen, but when we look back, we see a bit of what He is doing.
We will be praying for you and your wife. I know this will be difficult but am trusting she will realize that the pain of regret of taking her child is much greater than the fears of the "what ifs". Hopefully she can get with a good nutritionist who can help her with her health issues. We have had one for many years and are so blessed. He has delivered us from many issues. Be encouraged to continue to draw close to God and comfort your wife and see what God does.

Upvote 0

marsdream

May 13, 2020
Los Angeles
✟9,469.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Try to encouragement your wife; let her know 2 Corinthians 1:4 "who comforts us in all our affliction so that we will be able to comfort those who are in any affliction with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God." Both of you should come together and pray. Ask God to bring you peace as your wife carries this child and that He would give you His comfort and strength. It may not seem like it now, but you both will help so many new parents who struggle with an unexpected pregnancy. I will pray for you. Father, I pray that this couple will quiet themselves before you and be surrounded by Your presence throughout this pregnancy. Let them have a deeper understanding of You and fill their heart with Your word. Please keep this little baby safe in the womb. In Jesus name. Amen

Reactions: LoricaLady
Upvote 0
Apr 24, 2013
✟8,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you to everyone for replying and sharing encouragement and prayers. I have done little but pray alone, listen to worship music and read Bible plans. We have prayed almost every night together before bed for clarity and wisdom. I reached out to our pastor to pray for us but was somewhat vague about the situation.

My daughter and I have had new conditions diagnosed recently. Mine is fairly minor in comparison. However, my daughter will have to have speech therapy for a long time. We are looking into avenues to pay for it all, because her insurance will be inadequate. All of this news has pretty much hit us at once, including the pregnancy.

My wife is having a consultation at Planned Parenthood today, unfortunately. I have told her that is not the place to go and it scares me greatly. She is very strong-willed and I usually cannot convince her out of decisions. All I can do at this point is pray for her and let the Lord sort it out.

Due to state law, they are unable to do anything other than an ultrasound right now. I am very thankful for that at the moment. I've had bad anxiety and have even lost a few pounds due to all this stress. Although, I do have faith God will make this right. My honest belief is that she will have to go down this road before she comes to her senses.

Upvote 0

marsdream

May 13, 2020
Los Angeles
✟9,469.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Do you possibly have friends and family members that can come along side you as you go through this pregnancy? It is good that you sought out pastoral care. Have you considered adopting out the baby instead of terminating? Lifting you up in prayer

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,083,516.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I don't know how old your child is but usually starting in K, speech/language services are free in the local school systems. Private school children can be taken to public schools and get the same free services, usually 2X a week. (I don't know how this all works out with any switches to online schooling anywhere.) In my area you can get a speech/language therapist to come into your home through various health care agencies, often cost free. If there is a university nearby with a speech/language pathology department you can probably get free services there, too.

I pray you will have a healthy baby and that you and your wife will have peace and harmony.

Upvote 0

Paul4JC

the Sun of Righteousness will rise with healing
Apr 5, 2020
California
✟163,819.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Lord we thank you for Distressed Follower that you'd help him through all this. We pray you protect this baby. That the mother would realize she is carrying this precious one and make the right decisions. Hear our brothers prayers along with ours. In Jesus name, Amen

Upvote 0

Endeavourer

Aug 30, 2017
Cloud 9
✟89,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My wife is having a consultation at Planned Parenthood today, unfortunately. I have told her that is not the place to go and it scares me greatly. She is very strong-willed and I usually cannot convince her out of decisions. All I can do at this point is pray for her and let the Lord sort it out.

Due to state law, they are unable to do anything other than an ultrasound right now. I am very thankful for that at the moment. I've had bad anxiety and have even lost a few pounds due to all this stress. Although, I do have faith God will make this right. My honest belief is that she will have to go down this road before she comes to her senses.

Distressed, please PM me your city/state, if you are comfortable doing so, and I will try to put you in touch with kind, warm and loving assistance in your location. Not the shouting/posters type of 'ministries'. My son does loving and caring sidewalk ministries at abortion clinics in 2 states and he has first hand contacts for others. They've helped a lot of people choose life as well as meet their physical needs in doing so, not just at that moment but after the baby arrives as well. His group is well connected to resources that are affirming of the women's difficulties and are more than eager to put their resources where their mouth is to do anything they can to provide the support a woman needs to feel it is possible for her to keep the baby.

I'll be leaving in an hour and then will be away from my computer until tomorrow evening, but if you are comfortable PMing me before I leave, I'll either get some information for you or put you in touch with him directly. Otherwise, I can get the information for you Saturday evening.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟688,039.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

You have all my prayers .. you'll be added to my daily prayer list.

Please keep us updated on what's going on, that way my prayers for you all can change as your situation does.

As your sister in Christ, my heart is with you and your children... God protect you all.

Upvote 0

Melody Suttles

SingPeace
Site Supporter
Sep 22, 2018
Atlanta
✟79,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives

Omnipotent Father,
Place godly people in the path of this precious wife. Use good listeners at the perfect time, in powerful ways, to help her choose life.
Give her a Godly female friend full of wisdom and the love of Christ; a friend who will set aside personal schedules in order to focus on this sweet woman who is suffering (Proverbs 17:17). I pray Jesus, fill this husband and wife with Your incredible love for one another and for their child (1 John 3:1). Father, I stand against fear on their behalf (2 Timothy 1:7). Open her ears to your Spirit's voice (Jeremiah 9:20). And Lord, I pray that the Holy Spirit alone directs the woman’s thoughts (John 16:13). Give this precious man a miracle as he has reached out to You in a moment of a terrible struggle. In Jesus’ name, Amen.

Psalm 106:1-48
Praise the Lord! Oh give thanks to the Lord, for he is good, for his steadfast love endures forever! Who can utter the mighty deeds of the Lord, or declare all his praise? Blessed are they who observe justice, who do righteousness at all times! Remember me, O Lord, when you show favor to your people; help me when you save them, that I may look upon the prosperity of your chosen ones, that I may rejoice in the gladness of your nation, that I may glory with your inheritance.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: MomofaDozen
Upvote 0