Autumnleaf

Legend
Jun 18, 2005
✟33,297.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
was recommended to me by a friend. It makes Catholic leadership look like they move pedophile priests from parish to parish to avoid a fuss. It also suggests that leadership who shield such priests are given solace in the Vatican to avoid prosecution for their involvement in that. Tell me how this isn't so. Make it better. I was raised Catholic and defend the church whenever it comes up to the best of my ability.

I suspect this and the actual situation are a hit job on the church. I see that angle. Help me with the rest.

Martinius

Catholic disciple of Jesus
Jul 2, 2010
The woods and lakes of the Great North
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It looks really bad. How do I answer queries into such things? How far up did it go? Tell me Pope Benedict at least held the line when he was Cardinal? Or is that why he resigned. Give me what I need to know to be honest in discussion of this.
I would recommend that you do a little research on the topic. There are many articles, and there are many reports and studies that you can access online. Many dioceses have information on their websites, some even summarizing which priests have been involved and when.

How far? Everywhere, at all levels of the Church, over many decades. Ratzinger did little to help control the problem; documented communications between diocesan bishops and the Vatican indicate that Rome did little to react promptly to removing priests or giving guidance. But I don't think his resignation as Pope had anything to do with the abuse crisis.

The two main roadblocks to had to do with clericalism and protecting the image of the Church, which resulted in favoring the abusers over the victims, over their families, and over those who tried to do something to stop it. It also meant avoiding publicity and the involvement of civil authorities when crimes were committed.

The only honest answer is to say that the Church, on all levels, failed miserably. There are really no excuses.

Last edited:
Upvote 0