✟91,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Say both of you have some interest in sports. Does it have any effect on your relationship if you support teams that are rivals? To use an American baseball example, say one partner is a Yankees fan and the other partner is a Red Sox fan. Is there a problem caused by that?

Just nosy, I wonder if anyone actually has had issues from this.

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟425,725.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Well, my dad's a Giants fan and my mom's a Dodger fan, so I suppose it can work. Though, my mom's interest in the present team is nil. She was a bigger fan back in the Sandy Koufax/Don Drysdale days.

I couldn't date a girl who was a passionate fan and rooted for the Dodgers at the same time. Because we would be quibbling all of the time about stats, pennant races, trades, etc. Not to mention whenever we faced off in a series, we would probably need boxing gloves for that one.

I couldn't date a Seahawks fan, an LA Kings fan, or a Sacramento Kings fan. I would appreciate her passion and knowledge of any of those sports, but if she liked a rival team that would be a bit too much, I take those rivalries seriously.

Upvote 0

fromtheAsh

That one girl from that one website.
May 31, 2012
South Dakota
✟9,766.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Engaged
My fiancee is a Bears fan, I am a Vikings fan.
My fiancee is a Blackhawks fan, I am a Wild fan....

We're going to be a divided household, but we do share a mutual hatred of the White Sox via Cubs (her) and Twins (me), plus agree the Packers are the worst.

Upvote 0

JuiceBoxxed

Jun 24, 2015
Virginia
✟601.00
Faith
Deist
LOL, I can't imagine myself even being interested in a woman who held a passionate support for one team over another team. Enjoying a sport is one thing, and although the nature of many of them definitely have a competitive angle, I tend to view a lot of hardcore devotees to a team or region as substituting personal competitiveness for team competitiveness and projecting the positive (and negative) sides of that onto the team, which they cannot ultimately control. Power by proxy, if you will, with faith and hope as the only virtues and winning the only payoff.
I just can't identify with that, especially when it comes to how fast someone can run, throw or hit a ball, or laps in a pool.

Reactions: Messy
Upvote 0

SnowyMacie

Apr 12, 2011
North Texas
✟118,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
There's no major intrafamily rivalry, besides my maternal grandfather going to UT and my dad went to A&M, but it's not big deal. My closest friends and I, who I consider brothers, agree on all sports except college football. Two of us are Aggies, one is a Longhorn, and another is an OU fan. We all reached an agreement to not talk about the games in which our teams play each other, and everything has been fine with that rule.

My first girlfriend was a Longhorn fan, her dad went to UT, and she ended up going there as well. We got along fine despite that, but she wasn't as diehard of a Longhorn fan as I am an A&M fan. I take rivalries extremely serious, but I'm not sure it would be a deal breaker if she was a passionate fan of a rival, especially since I'm best friends with guys I've known my whole life that are passionate fans of my favorite team's rivals. On the other hand, I'm not sure the "don't talk about it" rule would work as well in a marriage. The only team out there I can say for certain "ABSOLUTELY NOT" would a die hard fan of New England Patriots, but that's mainly because of their front office, head coach, and quarterback.

Upvote 0

Al T

Go Wildcats!
May 22, 2015
United Kingdom
✟16,044.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Surely having a bit of a competitive element - that's lived out through your teams - can only bring a bit of spice to the relationship.

Of course that goes out the window if you or your partner are bonkers over local derby stuff.

So in summary everything should be fine as long as neither of you are crazy. :D Are you?

Upvote 0

Maka

Dec 4, 2012
✟21,686.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
My dad is a huge sports fan, especially hockey, soccer and football. Between being a workaholic, playing and watching sports, he didn't have much time to spend with my mom. It was a big factor in their separation.

Anyways.. To answer the question :D I cheer for team Canada, that's about it. I don't get the whole idolizing of players/teams thing. I am competitive and enjoy being active so I'd rather do those things together, instead of sitting and watching it.

Upvote 0

LoveDivine

May 20, 2015
✟123,716.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm a diehard Yankees fan and I have dated guys who liked other baseball teams. Truthfully, it makes it more fun in a way to root for different teams. Just like AI T stated, the rivalry adds some excitement. I would totally date a Red Sox fan. He would just have to accept that I'm going to gloat when the Yankees win:) If he can handle that, we're good, haha. I have lots of friends/acquaintances that absolutely hate the Yankees. I've just come to expect that I'm going to hear all about it when the Yankees lose. I think their smack talk is funny and it genuinely doesn't bother me (once I get over the loss, lol).

Last edited:
Reactions: SnowyMacie
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟425,725.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'm a diehard Yankees fan and I have dated guys who liked other baseball teams. Truthfully, it makes it more fun in a way to root for different teams. Just like AI T stated, the rivalry adds some excitement. I would totally date a Red Sox fan. He would just have to accept that I'm going to gloat when the Yankees win:) If he can handle that, we're good, haha. I have lots of friends/acquaintances that absolutely hate the Yankees. I've just come to expect that I'm going to hear all about it when the Yankees lose. I think their smack talk is funny and it genuinely doesn't bother me (once I get over the loss, lol).

I like you. You're cool.

Reactions: LoveDivine
Upvote 0

ReesePiece23

The Peanut Buttery Member.
Sep 17, 2013
✟288,277.00
Faith
Christian
Me and my ex were both hardcore cricket fans. The only problem was I'm from England, and she was originally from India. So when it came to England v India it would be hell on earth between us - in a fun way of course.

If the rivalry is serious and its affecting your relationship, then you both need to have your heads tested.

Upvote 0

MiniEmu

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 19, 2015
UK
✟21,720.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
No self respecting Saddlers fan would date a Wolves supporter. That's the sort of rivalry which sees people come out of a pub with a gap in their smile.

Football is serious business. So serious that one normally "converts" to the other side, in my experience it's rare an inter-team relationship remains inter-team for long. At least where one is a die-hard fan and the other is more "eh, it's just a game".

A nice bit of "this is my home team, whoo!" rivalry is always fun.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SnowyMacie

Apr 12, 2011
North Texas
✟118,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
As I diehard sports fan, I will admit that I don't really understand the mindset of not liking sports. I understand why people don't, but it's hard to comprehend. I can't speak for Darth, Ash, or Yankee, but for me sports and competitiveness have been apart of me for my entire life. Sports are a big part of my familial life, in fact, the brother-in-law wasn't a sports fan at all until he came into our family, and we often joke (it's funny cause it's true) that he did so for survival. There's a video of me just before my third birthday reciting the names of Houston Astros players, and for that same birthday I received a plastic tee and on the same tape it's a video of my dad tossing me a ball and I'm hitting it back to him with a toy bat. I don't remember those events, but my earliest memories are of playing T-Ball. I'm related to more people that played sports on a high school level than didn't. It's basically a value in our family.

Last edited:
Reactions: LoveDivine
Upvote 0

Hawthorne

CF Singles High Council
Sep 1, 2005
Going to and fro and up and down in the earth.
✟44,826.00
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,161,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
None whatsoever, considering I find sports to be boring.

There might be a problem if she's a sports freak.

As a child I always felt weird not liking sports. I tried watching an entire football game once, but I couldn't make it.

Upvote 0

scraparcs

aka Mayor McCheese
Mar 4, 2002
Massachusetts
✟91,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I just wondered if it could get to the point where it might have an effect on relationships between people. I've seen people support rival teams, but usually it's more of a good natured sort of rivalry. I can't imagine it being so serious it would cause a rift, but it looks like that's possible. Honestly I think if he didn't like sports at all, that would be a bigger issue.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟425,725.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I just wondered if it could get to the point where it might have an effect on relationships between people. I've seen people support rival teams, but usually it's more of a good natured sort of rivalry. I can't imagine it being so serious it would cause a rift, but it looks like that's possible. Honestly I think if he didn't like sports at all, that would be a bigger issue.

If it got mean spirited I think it would cause problems. Such as, if the Dodgers beat the Giants or they were higher up in the division than the Giants and she wouldn't stop giving me crap about it, then it might be an issue. People have to know when to stop.

Reactions: SnowyMacie
Upvote 0