(Spoilers) What do you think of The Last of Us and its core "lesbian couple" gameplay?

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I’ve never heard of it . It this a tv show or video game ? And it doesn’t bother me in real life as I don’t really think other people’s relationships are my business
Oh its a video game. It made big news when the first game came out because the woman (well teen really) was a lesbian and have a "steamy kissing" scene in it.

Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.
Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well , gays and the other alphabet soup people are a fact of life in America. That’s not shocking the way it was when I was a kid . I agree that these games ( and tv shows or movies)are too violent

Upvote 0

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟454,217.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well , gays and the other alphabet soup people are a fact of life in America. That’s not shocking the way it was when I was a kid . I agree that these games ( and tv shows or movies)are too violent

Even christians are 'brainwashed' that lgbt behaviour is normal and nothing wrong with it, it says a lot of how much they pushed this ideas the last years.

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,868.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Never cared for the first one to care enough to buy the second.

As for the trans queer stuff. It seems like studios want to tout their progressive kudos by including the most underrepresented demographics and depicting their actions as totally normal and justified. That's just par for the course of modern entertainment, to include for the sake of representation (instead of organic story purposes).

To me it's just one reason not to get invested in the series.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I hope the lgbt doesnt infiltrate the next gta game

Yeah, all the carjacking, drugs, and murder are cool, so long as we keep out the gays.

As for the trans queer stuff. It seems like studios want to tout their progressive kudos by including the most underrepresented demographics and depicting their actions as totally normal and justified. That's just par for the course of modern entertainment, to include for the sake of representation (instead of organic story purposes).

If the character in question had been her heterosexual romantic partner, would that have been okay for “organic story purposes”?

Has it ever occurred to you that some of the folks making these games might themselves be members of these underrepresented demographics and that this wokeness you perceive is merely them writing about their own experiences or from their own perspective?

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Brightmoon
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,868.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
If the character in question had been her heterosexual romantic partner, would that have been okay for “organic story purposes”?

Has it ever occurred to you that some of the folks making these games might themselves be members of these underrepresented demographics and that this wokeness you perceive is merely them writing about their own experiences or from their own perspective?

It would have been normal to depict Ellie as a heterosexual. This shouldn't be controversial given that homosexuals are minority. So yeah, it would have been completely natural to see such a depiction and no one except maybe the most avid of leftists activists would have complained.

I also have no doubt there are plenty of diversity hires or LGBT people in the big games studios. Still doesn't detract from point does it? Are they adding these elements for the sake of a compelling story or because they want a particular demographic represented? I think it's obviously to have representation of minority elements. I expect political correctness from big game studios and to me it's not to my taste or liking.

Is there something wrong with that?

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
It would have been normal to depict Ellie as a heterosexual. This shouldn't be controversial given that homosexuals are minority. So yeah, it would have been completely natural to see such a depiction and no one except maybe the most avid of leftists activists would have complained.

By that logic, the normal or natural state of things would be to have 70% of video game characters be overweight. Do you have any complaints about the inorganic nature of the storylines surrounding all of the athletically-built characters?

Roughly 4-5% of Americans identify as LGBTQ. For them to be fairly, proportionally represented in games, 1 out of every 20-25 characters would have to be LGBTQ. Are LGBTQ characters that common yet? Not from what I've seen.

I also have no doubt there are plenty of diversity hires or LGBT people in the big games studios.

What makes you think that they're "diversity hires" and not just people who are good at their jobs?

Still doesn't detract from point does it?

Yes, actually, it does.

Are they adding these elements for the sake of a compelling story or because they want a particular demographic represented?

Could be one; could be the other; could be both. It doesn't take much to take a compelling story about straight/white people, flip a couple variables, and turn it into a compelling story about gay/non-white people. All of a sudden, you've taken your compelling story and with just a couple tweaks, made it more relatable and more inclusive of an oft-neglected audience.

But then there are also unique aspects of those minority cultures that could also be mined for compelling story ideas.

I think it's obviously to have representation of minority elements.

On what do you base that thinking? Do you know many game developers?

I expect political correctness from big game studios and to me it's not to my taste or liking.

Is there something wrong with that?

It depends on how far you take that taste and/or how much you expect the broader industry to cater to it.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,868.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
By that logic, the normal or natural state of things would be to have 70% of video game characters be overweight. Do you have any complaints about the inorganic nature of the storylines surrounding all of the athletically-built characters?

Roughly 4-5% of Americans identify as LGBTQ. For them to be fairly, proportionally represented in games, 1 out of every 20-25 characters would have to be LGBTQ. Are LGBTQ characters that common yet? Not from what I've seen.

Well what are we talking about here? Should action games have overweight people capable of doing stuff that defies reality? But in the case of super attractive people there’s a reason why such figures tend to be represented, because they are aesthetically pleasing. Fat people are not, although we are being somewhat inundated with fat pride so you might expect more fat protagonists in the future.

As the commonality of LGBT characters and progressive themes in general, they are becoming more and more prevalent in media, especially in companies that want to paint the image of them being a progressive company. Mind you, I would have thought you would be happy about that.

What makes you think that they're "diversity hires" and not just people who are good at their jobs?

Well it’s not even necessarily diversity hires, though I have no doubt they exist. It’s progressive and woke writers who want to tout their progressive kudos by including such minorities.

Could be one; could be the other; could be both. It doesn't take much to take a compelling story about straight/white people, flip a couple variables, and turn it into a compelling story about gay/non-white people. All of a sudden, you've taken your compelling story and with just a couple tweaks, made it more relatable and more inclusive of an oft-neglected audience.

What makes a gay relationship more relatable than a heterosexual relationship and why do all audiences have to be catered to? I understand as a secularist you have certain tastes, Homosexuality, LGBT probably have more impact to you than standard heterosexual procreation and marriage. I prefer themes of faith, religion rather than sexual issues. At this point all we’re doing is comparing worldviews. My Christian Worldview vs yours, however you want to classify what it is you prefer.

I’ve heard mixed opinions about this game and whether or not it’s compelling. Most people think the story was handled badly, particularly the way they dealt with Joel while most critics seem to hate it. The addition of a Homosexual romance doesn’t seem to have made it any more relatable.

But then there are also unique aspects of those minority cultures that could also be mined for compelling story ideas.

I don’t deny you can do that. Plenty of great games have. I just don’t find LGBT issues compelling or relatable. I find them to be mostly immoral actually since they glorify flesh rather than what really matters.

[QUOTE="iluvatar5150, post: 75174248, member: 313046’] what do you base that thinking? Do you know many game developers? [/QUOTE]

I base it mostly on the type of writing I see in video games, or do you think we can’t detect a person’s worldview behind the content they create? If they are touching on minority Ideas and feel the need to represent things in their game that aren’t common then I don’t think I’m wrong to interpret an element as political representation.

[QUOTE="iluvatar5150, post: 75174248, member: 313046’It depends on how far you take that taste and/or how much you expect the broader industry to cater to it.[/QUOTE]

I stopped expecting gaming industry to cater to my tastes a long time ago. In particular I stopped expecting the AAA gaming industry to cater to the themes I would like to see explored in games a long time ago.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Well what are we talking about here? Should action games have overweight people capable of doing stuff that defies reality?

If we're already at the point of having game characters doing things the defy reality, then why not?

As the commonality of LGBT characters and progressive themes in general, they are becoming more and more prevalent in media, especially in companies that want to paint the image of them being a progressive company. Mind you, I would have thought you would be happy about that.

I don't recall expressing displeasure at it.

Well it’s not even necessarily diversity hires, though I have no doubt they exist. It’s progressive and woke writers who want to tout their progressive kudos by including such minorities.

Why do you assume that this is some sort of virtue signalling and not merely people trying to write interesting stories? And even if they are being deliberate about expanding the representation in their characters, why is that a bad thing? These people exist. They play games. Is catering to their players to be criticized?

What makes a gay relationship more relatable than a heterosexual relationship

Well, off the top of my head, a gay person might find it more relatable just by virtue of it being a gay relationship, but there are also elements of stigma, shame, secrecy, and rejection by society that can be relatable to some members of the audience and can be mined for interesting story ideas.

[quote
and why do all audiences have to be catered to?[/quote]

They don't have to be, but I fail to see why so many people get upset when somebody does cater to them.

I understand as a secularist you have certain tastes

Oh, you understand that, huh?

I’ve heard mixed opinions about this game and whether or not it’s compelling. Most people think the story was handled badly, particularly the way they dealt with Joel while most critics seem to hate it. The addition of a Homosexual romance doesn’t seem to have made it any more relatable.

I'm not sure where you're coming up with that impression of the reception. I haven't played it (and won't because I don't own a PS4) and I think most game writing is pretty mediocre, but it's sitting at a 94 Metacritic rating and the reviews have been glowing.

I don’t deny you can do that. Plenty of great games have. I just don’t find LGBT issues compelling or relatable. I find them to be mostly immoral actually since they glorify flesh rather than what really matters.

The same could be said for most game elements.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,868.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
If we're already at the point of having game characters doing things the defy reality, then why not?

Glad you agree Homosexuality defies reality. But, in seriousness, I'm sure there are themes you don't like in lterature or videogames.

I don't recall expressing displeasure at it.

Why do you assume that this is some sort of virtue signalling and not merely people trying to write interesting stories? And even if they are being deliberate about expanding the representation in their characters, why is that a bad thing? These people exist. They play games. Is catering to their players to be criticized?

I think the better question is why you want me to approve of it. Why should I

Well, off the top of my head, a gay person might find it more relatable just by virtue of it being a gay relationship, but there are also elements of stigma, shame, secrecy, and rejection by society that can be relatable to some members of the audience and can be mined for interesting story ideas.

Yeah, and I don't care for it.

They don't have to be, but I fail to see why so many people get upset when somebody does cater to them.

Whose upset? I just said from the begining that it's not a game for me. That I don't care for it.

Oh, you understand that, huh?

Yes.

I'm not sure where you're coming up with that impression of the reception. I haven't played it (and won't because I don't own a PS4) and I think most game writing is pretty mediocre, but it's sitting at a 94 Metacritic rating and the reviews have been glowing.

the disparity between critics and the user score is what I was referring to. Did you even see the 5.5 user score on Metacritic? Also I've listened to people talk about the game, namely through podcast and he was a gay furry and didn't care the narrative presentation of the game. So take that as you will.

The same could be said for most game elements.

That's true. It's why I stopped playing Grand Theft Auto and haven't played it since i was a teenager.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums