[Split from Love/Commandments] 613 Mitzvot?

Nessuno

Jan 8, 2007
Mi-Usa
✟7,682.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Doh, does this site have a Mitzvot listing of the 613 commandments. Went to leave to link to Jewfaq .org but I don't have the clearance.
Just thought it might be helpful anyone looking for the complete list of the laws of Moses.

So instead I'm leaving a question:
chametz = yeast or leaven ?

Wow, just realized that in Acts 15 or whatever, where he points out the bare minimum required, from my perspective now of seeing the list that I had looked for a while back. Quite understandable to see that it would seem overwhelming especially.

Wags

Senior Veteran
Dec 14, 2004
Oregon
✟12,463.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Yes Chametz is yeast/leavening.

For someone who hasn't studied Torah hearing that there are 613 commands does seem overwhelming. But when you realize that some are for priests only, some are for men only, some for women etc.... the number isn't nearly so large. And Adonai did say that what He was commanding was not to difficult. (
[FONT=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]Now what I am commanding you today is not too difficult for you or beyond your reach. Deut 30:11) Now if God says its not to difficult then I have to believe He knows what He is talking about.
[/FONT]

Upvote 0

Nessuno

Jan 8, 2007
Mi-Usa
✟7,682.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Yes Chametz is yeast/leavening.
Thank you :)
([FONT=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]Now what I am commanding you today is not too difficult for you or beyond your reach. Deut 30:11) [/FONT]
Complete agree, though for me it is requiring some research which brought up a couple more questions.

When looking up Tzitzit and Tefillin, questions popped up due to the nature of "place".

Deuteronomy 6:1 Now these are the commandments, the statutes, and the judgments, which the LORD your God commanded to teach you, that ye might do them in the land whither ye go to possess it:

It's that "do them in the land" part that seemed that they should be done in Israel. Doesn't really mention doing them not in Israel, nor prohibiting against it not in Israel. Using the term Israel to mean G-d's definition and not the current boundries.​

Numbers 15:2 Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, When ye be come into the land of your habitations, which I give unto you,​

This seems like it can be intrepreted as either "the land" or "from the time you enter the land" or it seems to me. Arrgghhh, since I do not know Hebrew, I cannot look at how it was used in context to see what the true meaning is.​

Not to mention after the destruction of the Temple, burnt offerings are throwing me for a curve. Now it's seems that these questions had to be answered since then, thus getting Rabbinic Judaism. But when thinking about the era in which that might have occurred, since I haven't studied the dates yet, it could have been after the council of Nicea. Regardless of the fact that it was the holy men that gathered and discussed and came up with the creed, it was men of power who's holiness was questionable who were put into the positions of power. I think that it where a huge rift between the Jewish ppl and the early christians occurred. Now if intrepretations and systems came about during period of tension between the jews and christians, I would have to treat it with the same scrutiny that I do the conclusions of the early Catholic church. When ppl face off against each other, the tend to be polar rather than just try to find truth. I believe that Animaamin has already this question by linking to a MJ list, but i'm sure I'm goign to overanalyze it anyway :)

Upvote 0

AbiYah

Nov 9, 2006
✟15,522.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
One can also argue you are "within Israel" when you have a minyan (I have to agree with that mentality ;)) or if you have some of the land (dirt/sand from there) there with you.. which I have seen places in Germany where the Yehudim here in years gone by were buried with the land in our land. :)

It is very touching.

Upvote 0

AbiYah

Nov 9, 2006
✟15,522.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Nessuno said:
Not to mention after the destruction of the Temple, burnt offerings are throwing me for a curve. Now it's seems that these questions had to be answered since then, thus getting Rabbinic Judaism.

No, not really; but you can find a lot of answers in the Talmud on how these offerings were made a little more in depth than the bible presents (like what days, times of day etc).

But you are forgetting something.

Rom 12:1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, [which is] your reasonable service.

The P'shta reads much like the KJV actually.

The Amplified puts it:

I APPEAL to you therefore, brethren, and beg of you in view of [all] the mercies of God, to make a decisive dedication of your bodies [presenting all your members and faculties] as a living sacrifice, holy (devoted, consecrated) and well pleasing to God, which is your reasonable (rational, intelligent) service and spiritual worship.

The Orthodox Jewish Bible puts it this way:

I appeal to you, therefore, Achim B'Moshiach, though the rachamei Hashem (Mercies of G-d), to present your geviyah (Bereshis 47:18), all of your being as a korban chai (living sacrifice), kadosh (holy) and acceptable to Hashem (Bereshis 8:21), which is your spiritual avodas kodesh.

Fyi

Gen 47:18When that year was ended, they came unto him the second year, and said unto him, We will not hide [it] from my lord, how that our money is spent; my lord also hath our herds of cattle; there is not ought left in the sight of my lord, but our bodies, and our lands:

Gen 8:21And YHVH smelled a sweet savour; and YHVH said in his heart, I will not again curse the ground any more for man's sake; for the imagination of man's heart [is] evil from his youth; neither will I again smite any more every thing living, as I have done.

There are two big hints on what sacrifice this is. The OJB says it is a Korban (gift). But other translations I have found and commentaries point to it being Korban Olah - a burnt offering

If you do not have one already; I would suggest ArtScroll's Chumash. It has a glossary in back that details ALL of the sacrifices, what they are, what animal, how it is flayed, where on the altar and when it is sacrificed (even down to the holiday!).
(www.artscroll.com and sometimes at www.booksamillion.com (this one is not so great for overseas shipment)) Another "goodie" is the Stone Edition Tanakh, which is also with Artscroll's site.

Another semi-good help is the "Strongest Strong's concordance" - but it is only a starter. The Artscroll Chumash and an Artscroll Tanakh is a better help.

Another gracious help (though not so accurate on a couple of things) is The Power New Testament ISBN 0966452321.
I found mine on Amazon.com

Upvote 0

AbiYah

Nov 9, 2006
✟15,522.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Something else that might help with understanding the Olah.

The Torah Portion for the time near Pesach:

14 April, 2007
26 Nisan 5767
[FONT=CXMHIT+MyriadPro-Cond]Tzav “Command”
Leviticus 6:1(8)–8:36
Jeremiah 7:21-8:3; 9:22-23(23-24)
* Luke 4–6 [/FONT]

You can read these most places online, Bible.com being a good one.

The verse it begins says:

Lev 6:9Command Aaron and his sons, saying, This [is] the law [TORAH!] of the burnt offering: It [is] the burnt offering, because of the burning upon the altar all night unto the morning, and the fire of the altar shall be burning in it.

an awesome commentary on this I found:

The Midrash, commenting on the above pasuk, says: "Rabbi Acha said in the name of Rabbi Chanina bar Papa: [Why does the pasuk refer to the laws of the Olah as Torah?] Perhaps one might say: When the Holy Temple stood, we were able to bring sacrifices and achieve atonement. Now that there is no Temple - how are we to achieve atonement? Says Hashem: If you will study the laws [Torah] of the Olah, I will consider it as if you have brought an Olah for a sacrifice."

K'sav Sofer explains that it is no coincidence that the Midrash chooses to derive this novelty - that learning the laws of an offering is equivalent to bringing one - specifically in regard to an Olah offering. Each korban (sacrifice) had it's purpose. A Chatas, for instance, was brought by one who had inadvertently violated a Torah prohibition, such as eating forbidden meat, or performing work on Shabbos. A Korban Olah, say our Sages, was to atone for impure thoughts. Thus, he explains, it is specifically with regard to the Olah offering that "learning its laws is as good as bringing one." Since the purpose of the Olah was to atone for impure thoughts, it is befitting that purifying one's thoughts through Torah study should stand in its stead. But for a korban whose purpose was to atone for having actually transgressed a specific sin, perhaps studying and "thinking" about it's laws is not enough. In other words: For sins of thought, it is enough to repent in one's mind. For sins of deed, one must go further...

...What type of Chisaron kis (monetary loss) is there to Aaron and his sons when they assist a Jew in bringing his Olah offering? To the contrary: The Talmud states that the Kohanim receive the hide of the Olah as a form of payment for their assistance!...

Sources: http://www.torah.org/learning/olas-shabbos/5762/tzav.html

Not only does the Talmud, but even Torah points it out. Beginning in da Beginning!

After the Olah in the Garden, and before G-d drives out Adam & Chavah.... He teaches them the Torah of Olah offering.

And as a benefit of Adam being the first Father-Preist (until the Leviim being selected it was the eldest child in a family & the father who did this):

Gen 3:21 Unto Adam also and to his wife did YHVH God make coats of skins, and clothed them.

:)

Upvote 0

Nessuno

Jan 8, 2007
Mi-Usa
✟7,682.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Thus, he explains, it is specifically with regard to the Olah offering that "learning its laws is as good as bringing one." Since the purpose of the Olah was to atone for impure thoughts, it is befitting that purifying one's thoughts through Torah study should stand in its stead.
I really really really like this !!! The bizarre thing is that it is working. Although I haven't mastered complete control over my own thoughts (which is quite a sad thing to admit to oneself), it is working.
The cool thing is that, uhhh, the guy that invented calc... umm... anyways, he used to do tables of tedious mathematics to gain control those type of thoughts. Newton !!! that's it. Has a couple laws of physcis. I had just thought that studying "the laws" would help me keep them in mind constantly and it has. And there you even add that it's like a sacrifice for atoning for it. Big bonus in my eyes.

Here I was just wanting to add something that related to the original thread.

Joh 14:15 -
"If you love me, you will obey what I command.
Joh 14:21 -
Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him."
Joh 14:23 -
Jesus replied, "If anyone loves me, he will obey my teaching. My Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him.
Joh 14:24 -
He who does not love me will not obey my teaching. These words you hear are not my own; they belong to the Father who sent me.

I do love that Gospel. Four times making the same association. Key thing is "these words are not my own" and the F-th-r did have more rules in place already.

Upvote 0