Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Matthew and Luke both address this in Matthew 12:43-45 and Luke 11:24-26. "Binding and Loosing" is not meant for this context of usage. It is the responsibility of the one who is delivered to fill the figurative spaces in their hearts that the demons left empty with the Holy Spirit or else they could find themselves falling into a worse trap of the enemy that would result in them being in a worse condition than before.

Neither of those verses speak of binding demons. They are synoptic verses that speak of what COULD happen when the spirit is cast out.

Upvote 0

spiritfilledjm

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2007
Indianapolis, Indiana
✟225,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Neither of those verses speak of binding demons. They are synoptic verses that speak of what COULD happen when the spirit is cast out.
Yup, that's what I meant, was that the binding and loosing verse in Matthew really doesn't quite apply as Jesus himself stated that it really is the responsibility of the one being delivered to keep themselves from getting re-infested. One cannot "bind" a spirit from entering somebody again, especially if the person goes back to living as they did before.

• Winner
Reactions: hislegacy
Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yup, that's what I meant, was that the binding and loosing verse in Matthew really doesn't quite apply as Jesus himself stated that it really is the responsibility of the one being delivered to keep themselves from getting re-infested. One cannot "bind" a spirit from entering somebody again, especially if the person goes back to living as they did before.

taken in context the binding and loosing verses in Matthew are on forgiveness, not casting out devils

Matt 18:15
Moreover if your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault between you and him alone. If he hears you, you have gained your brother. 16 But if he will not hear, take with you one or two more, that ‘by the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.’ 17 And if he refuses to hear them, tell it to the church. But if he refuses even to hear the church, let him be to you like aheathen and a tax collector.

18 “Assuredly, I say to you, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.

19 “Again I say to you that if two of you agree on earth concerning anything that they ask, it will be done for them by My Father in heaven.20 For where two or three are gatheredtogether in My name, I am there in the midst of them.”

21 Then Peter came to Him and said, “Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? Up to seven times?”

22 Jesus said to him, “I do not say to you, up to seven times, but up to seventy times seven.
The verses before and after show the context of the conversation. The conversation is about forgiveness, NOT casting out spirits.

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟163,983.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Where is the scriptural example of Jesus or one of the disciples demonstrating it, or doing it. I submit it is found nowhere in scripture.

Jesus taught it,...

Mar 3:22 And the scribes which came down from Jerusalem said, He hath Beelzebub, and, By the prince of the devils casteth he out the devils.
Mar 3:23 And he called them unto him, and said unto them in parables, How can Satan cast out Satan?
Mar 3:24 And if a kingdom be divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand.
Mar 3:25 And if a house be divided against itself, that house will not be able to stand.
Mar 3:26 And if Satan hath risen up against himself, and is divided, he cannot stand, but hath an end.
Mar 3:27 But no one can enter into the house of the strong man, and spoil his goods, except he first bind the strong man; and then he will spoil his house.

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟163,983.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Matt 7:22 Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’

Matt 8:16 When evening had come, they brought to Him many who were demon-possessed. And He cast out the spirits with a word, and healed all who were sick,

Matt 8:31 So the demons begged Him, saying, “If You cast us out, permit us to go away into the herd of swine.”

Matt 9:33 And when the demon was cast out, the mute spoke. And the multitudes marveled, saying, “It was never seen like this in Israel!”

Matt 10:8 Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out demons. Freely you have received, freely give.

Not one time binding is being mentioned.

You missed an example,...

Luk 8:26 And they arrived at the country of the Gerasenes, which is over against Galilee.
Luk 8:27 And when he was come forth upon the land, there met him a certain man out of the city, who had devils; and for a long time he had worn no clothes, and abode not in any house, but in the tombs.
Luk 8:28 And when he saw Jesus, he cried out, and fell down before him, and with a loud voice said, What have I to do with thee, Jesus, thou Son of the Most High God? I beseech thee, torment me not.
Luk 8:29 For he commanded the unclean spirit to come out from the man. For oftentimes it had seized him: and he was kept under guard, and bound with chains and fetters; and breaking the bands asunder, he was driven of the devil into the deserts.
Luk 8:30 And Jesus asked him, What is thy name? And he said, Legion; for many devils were entered into him.
Luk 8:31 And they entreated him that he would not command them to depart into the abyss.

This was why the legion stronghold begged Jesus to cast them into the swine instead, He was going to get rid of them for good. Matthew and Mark's accounts do not include this.

If this stronghold only needed to be cast out for them to be free, why was they pleading with Jesus to cast them into the swine??

I submit that He was casting them down like scripture says here, and for this to happen, He would need to follow what He taught about binding them first.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sunlover1

Beloved, Let us love one another
Nov 10, 2006
Under the Shadow of the Almighty
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
In my experience demonized people have superhuman strength and supernatural knowledge. God Bless :)
As do we.
Amen!
GREATER is He who is IN us, than...
We have been given authority over ALL of the power of...
NOTHING shall by ANY means harm me.

• Friendly
Reactions: lismore
Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You missed an example,...

Luk 8:26 And they arrived at the country of the Gerasenes, which is over against Galilee.
Luk 8:27 And when he was come forth upon the land, there met him a certain man out of the city, who had devils; and for a long time he had worn no clothes, and abode not in any house, but in the tombs.
Luk 8:28 And when he saw Jesus, he cried out, and fell down before him, and with a loud voice said, What have I to do with thee, Jesus, thou Son of the Most High God? I beseech thee, torment me not.
Luk 8:29 For he commanded the unclean spirit to come out from the man. For oftentimes it had seized him: and he was kept under guard, and bound with chains and fetters; and breaking the bands asunder, he was driven of the devil into the deserts.
Luk 8:30 And Jesus asked him, What is thy name? And he said, Legion; for many devils were entered into him.
Luk 8:31 And they entreated him that he would not command them to depart into the abyss.

This was why the legion stronghold begged Jesus to cast them into the swine instead, He was going to get rid of them for good. Matthew and Mark's accounts do not include this.

If this stronghold only needed to be cast out for them to be free, why was they pleading with Jesus to cast them into the swine??

I submit that He was casting them down like scripture says here, and for this to happen, He would need to follow what He taught about binding them first.

Jesus cast them out, He did NOT bind them, He did NOT cast them down.

He did not cast them to the abyss because it was not His time to do so. There is coming a time when the devil and all his demons will be cast into the Abyss (read Revelation) but until that time, it’s not scripturally shown anywhere.

Think about this logically, if it was an option for them to be cast into the abyss, why didn’t Jesus do just that? Why send them into the herd of pigs to be released almost immediately when the pigs drowned?

Remember the instructions Jesus gave when a spirit is cast out it seeks another and not finding, comes back and brings others with it?

Why not just bind them, cast them down and end their ability to do so?

Jesus never bound a devil
Jesus never ‘cast down’ a devil
Jesus never went after a stronghold

neither did any of the Apostles.

The modern day practice is not supported.

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟163,983.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Jesus cast them out, He did NOT bind them, He did NOT cast them down.

He did not cast them to the abyss because it was not His time to do so. There is coming a time when the devil and all his demons will be cast into the Abyss (read Revelation) but until that time, it’s not scripturally shown anywhere.

Think about this logically, if it was an option for them to be cast into the abyss, why didn’t Jesus do just that? Why send them into the herd of pigs to be released almost immediately when the pigs drowned?

Remember the instructions Jesus gave when a spirit is cast out it seeks another and not finding, comes back and brings others with it?

Why not just bind them, cast them down and end their ability to do so?

Jesus never bound a devil
Jesus never ‘cast down’ a devil
Jesus never went after a stronghold

neither did any of the Apostles.

The modern day practice is not supported.

You can voice your dislike for it all you want, but Jesus was very clear in explaining this to the scribes on what exactly He did. There were demons begging Jesus not to cast them down,........like I and everyone else is suppose to ignore that???

We don't have the word Trinity in our bibles either, but the teaching is very clear in numerous books of the NT that the GODHEAD is triune and in complete harmony with each other.

Even if I don't have a precisely clear example in scripture of this, I think what Jesus taught about it is proof enough. The account in Luke is very specific and was documented for a reason. I view Jesus as the authority on this, not you or anyone else.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And you are welcome to your beliefs.

I cannot call an action scriptural if it is not found in scripture.

Jesus’ conversation was in response to the Jewish leaders accusing Him of casting out demons by Belzibub.

Read the verses

At no time was Jesus instructing Jewish leaders to bind devils. Nor did He instruct His disciples to do it.

Nor is it found anywhere in the Mew Testament.

it is not a matter of my liking or not liking a verse, it is an issue of taking it in context and not adding to the word.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sorry, I don't have to keep explaining myself to you, if you just don't get it, then you probably won't ever get it.

I'm going to post more information for those lurking in the thread, you're free to move on.

please do and I will response as I see fit.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Lol, yea right.

This thread does have it limitations, I'll start a better one for those seeking actual practical experience.

Does that mean a teaching thread where no one can question you?

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
taken in context the binding and loosing verses in Matthew are on forgiveness, not casting out devils

Matt 18:15
Moreover if your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault between you and him alone. If he hears you, you have gained your brother. 16 But if he will not hear, take with you one or two more, that ‘by the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.’ 17 And if he refuses to hear them, tell it to the church. But if he refuses even to hear the church, let him be to you like aheathen and a tax collector.

18 “Assuredly, I say to you, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.

19 “Again I say to you that if two of you agree on earth concerning anything that they ask, it will be done for them by My Father in heaven.20 For where two or three are gatheredtogether in My name, I am there in the midst of them.”

21 Then Peter came to Him and said, “Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? Up to seven times?”

22 Jesus said to him, “I do not say to you, up to seven times, but up to seventy times seven.
The verses before and after show the context of the conversation. The conversation is about forgiveness, NOT casting out spirits.
Jesus had already made the same statement in Matt16.-
17And Jesus answering, said to him, “Blessed are you, Simon Barjona! For flesh and blood did not reveal it to you, but My Father in the heavens. 18And I also say to you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church, and the gates of Hades not will prevail against it. 19I will give to you the keys of the kingdom of the heavens, and whatever you might bind on the earth shall have been bound in the heavens, and whatever you might loose on the earth shall have been loosed in the heavens.”
And as the context shows, this has nothing to do with forgiveness, but spiritual warfare of the ekklesia, which the gates of Hell would not be able to stop.

In any war, physical or spiritual, the objective is to bind or destroy your enemy, and that is made clear in Mark.-
Mark3v27But no one is able, having entered into the house of the strong man, to plunder his goods, unless first he binds the strong man. And then he will plunder his house.

Being involved with deliverance and spiritual warfare for over 40 years, I know this is true and have witnessed the results many times.
(Ref @ARBITER01 )

• Agree
Reactions: ARBITER01
Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
17And Jesus answering, said to him, “Blessed are you, Simon Barjona! For flesh and blood did not reveal it to you, but My Father in the heavens. 18And I also say to you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church, and the gates of Hades not will prevail against it. 19I will give to you the keys of the kingdom of the heavens, and whatever you might bind on the earth shall have been bound in the heavens, and whatever you might loose on the earth shall have been loosed in the heavens.”
And as the context shows, this has nothing to do with forgiveness, but spiritual warfare of the ekklesia, which the gates of Hell would not be able to stop.

In any war, physical or spiritual, the objective is to bind or destroy your enemy, and that is made clear in Mark.-
Mark3v27But no one is able, having entered into the house of the strong man, to plunder his goods, unless first he binds the strong man. And then he will plunder his house.

Being involved with deliverance and spiritual warfare for over 40 years, I know this is true and have witnessed the results many times.
(Ref @ARBITER01 )

Thank both of you for service to Christ! I’ve only been in ministry for 36 years.

I am familiar with the verses and reasoning you both cite. I was involved when C. Peter Wagner refired the movement. Remember warring toungues and vomiting out demons? Remember groups going into airplanes to pull down strongholds in the heavenlies? Remember teams traveling the eastern US praying into kettles to bind the spirits of slavery?

Back grounds aside, experiences aside. I have to stay with proper exegesis and standards in scripture.

I can find dozens of examples and at least five explicit instructions for casting out demons. Plainly written.

I’ll state again. The verses used are not INSTRUCTIONAL, nor is there ONE example of Jesus or the Disciples following the practice of modern warfare.

believe what you will, the issue remains.

I believe wholeheartedly it is a function of Christians to set people free, including casting out demons. Effectiveness in ministry is based on sounds exegesis.

I have had the honor to teach seminary level doctrine in the US and internationally (reference point only). I have tonight and follow the guidelines that, to teach something as doctrinal truth, it must be found plainly and contextually accurate in scripture at least three places.

Modern Spiritual warfare teaching fail that standard.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟163,983.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican

(Ref @ARBITER01 )

Very well said my friend.

The teaching is there for us to learn from The Holy Spirit, and to follow through and have results. If you're like me, you only hold onto that which has actual results.

Approaching this mature aspect of Christianity with only book knowledge gives disastrous results. Look up Win Worley. He would argue and fight with demons for hours trying to cast them out of people by his words instead of by the power of The Holy Spirit, and he really thought he was doing it right.

Some spiritual things are just beyond some people's comprehension.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,160.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For what it is worth, when Jesus leads me to a situation where deliverance is needed, two things happen.

1. A gift of discernment kicks in and I directly sense the demonic entity. (this is not always pleasant)

This in itself gives me confidence that He wants to do something about it.

2. A surge of indignant authority wells up from deep within me and most commonly I simply say 'get out in Jesus name'.

This can be quiet - or it can be a shout depending on the degree of inner urgency.

I usually add the instruction to go to where God appoints.

I never dialogue with demons or name them - confrontation in the spirit is enough.

I don't repeat the command, but wait for the result. This is because His Word if truely manifest will never return void. I cant recall any situation in which anything else was needed.

I dont however think deliverance can be formulated, but it needs to be biblical and in the Spirit.

I have witnessed a deliverance in which a very mature brother delivered a girl desperate for suicide. She was desperate to find any means to kill herself and needed to be restrained before this dear brother arrived.
We watched as she was completely set free from the demonic by him simply and gently thanking Jesus for His loving rule over her body (she was prone on a couch in a very tight ball)
First a hand - which relaxed, then an arm, the other hand and so on. She was fully restored and in her right mind.

This was beautiful to watch and illustrates that there are no formulas - one has to be able to hear what God wants to do on each occasion.

Personally I dont think this can be taught.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

(Ref @ARBITER01 )

Thank you - Let's look at both of those in context, shall we?

First let's go to Matt 16 Let's star in verse 13:

13 When Jesus came into the region of Caesarea Philippi, He asked His disciples, saying, “Who do men say that I, the Son of Man, am?”

14 So they said, “Some say John the Baptist, some Elijah, and others Jeremiah or one of the prophets.”

15 He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?”

16 Simon Peter answered and said, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.”

17 Jesus answered and said to him, “Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah, for flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but My Father who is in heaven. 18 And I also say to you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church, and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it. 19 And I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.”

20 Then He commanded His disciples that they should tell no one that He was Jesus the Christ.​

The reader will note the subject of the conversation is the revelation of Jesus as the Christ. There is zero mention of demons, but a mentions of Heaven and the Church.

Now let's look at the verse in question here:

v19 And I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.”
The cross reference to this is found in

John 20:“If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained.”​

The revelation of the Kingdom of Heaven refers to the finished work of Jesus Christ - His death burial and resurrection. It is when we find forgiveness of sins.

Just two chapters later Jesus once again brings up forgiveness

Matt 18:15 “Moreover if your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault between you and him alone. If he hears you, you have gained your brother. 16 But if he will not hear, take with you one or two more, that ‘by the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.’ 17 And if he refuses to hear them, tell it to the church. But if he refuses even to hear the church, let him be to you like a heathen and a tax collector.

19 “Again, I say to you that if two of you agree on earth concerning anything that they ask, it will be done for them by My Father in heaven. 20 For where two or three are gathered together in My name, I am there in the midst of them.”
Keep reading:

21 Then Peter came to Him and said, “Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? Up to seven times?”22 Jesus said to him, “I do not say to you, up to seven times, but up to seventy times seven. 23 Therefore the kingdom of heaven is like a certain king who wanted to settle accounts with his servants. 24 And when he had begun to settle accounts, one was brought to him who owed him ten thousand talents. 25 But as he was not able to pay, his master commanded that he be sold, with his wife and children and all that he had, and that payment be made. 26 The servant therefore fell down before him, saying, ‘Master, have patience with me, and I will pay you all.’ 27 Then the master of that servant was moved with compassion, released him, and forgave him the debt.

No where in these scripture verses are demonic forces mentioned - the ONLY way to take these verses and to attribute them to spiritual warfare is to take them out of context and make them say something they do not say.

Now let's look at Mark 3

20 Then the multitude came together again, so that they could not so much as eat bread. 21 But when His own people heard about this, they went out to lay hold of Him, for they said, “He is out of His mind.”

22 And the scribes who came down from Jerusalem said, “He has Beelzebub,” and, “By the ruler of the demons He casts out demons.”

23 So He called them to Himself and said to them in parables: “How can Satan cast out Satan? 24 If a kingdom is divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand. 25 And if a house is divided against itself, that house cannot stand. 26 And if Satan has risen up against himself, and is divided, he cannot stand, but has an end. 27 No one can enter a strong man’s house and plunder his goods, unless he first binds the strong man. And then he will plunder his house.
Look closely in context of what is being said: They thought Jesus was out of His mind"crazy", the scribes from Jerusalem accused Him of driving out demons by the power of Satan.

Following me?

VS 23 - Jesus spoke to them in parables - Parables def: " a usually short fictitious story that illustrates a moral attitude or a religious principle" Parables CANNOT be taken literally, because they are NOT literal. He is expressing a truth to the Scribes in a way that they could understand.

The accusation:

22 And the scribes who came down from Jerusalem said, “He has Beelzebub,” and, “By the ruler of the demons He casts out demons.”
Jesus illustrating why they are wrong using a parable:

“How can Satan cast out Satan? 24 If a kingdom is divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand. 25 And if a house is divided against itself, that house cannot stand. 26 And if Satan has risen up against himself, and is divided, he cannot stand, but has an end. 27 No one can enter a strong man’s house and plunder his goods, unless he first binds the strong man. And then he will plunder his house.

Notice the very next verses"

28 “Assuredly, I say to you, all sins will be forgiven the sons of men, and whatever blasphemies they may utter; 29 but he who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is subject to eternal condemnation”— 30 because they said, “He has an unclean spirit.”

There it is - Jesus is once again addressing a sin issue and forgiveness - NOT driving out demons.

Very well said my friend.

The teaching is there for us to learn from The Holy Spirit, and to follow through and have results. If you're like me, you only hold onto that which has actual results.

Amen to that - setting people free, healing the sick, casting out demons is part and parcel the Great Comission and it works! Always has and always will.

Approaching this mature aspect of Christianity with only book knowledge gives disastrous results. Look up Win Worley. He would argue and fight with demons for hours trying to cast them out of people by his words instead of by the power of The Holy Spirit, and he really thought he was doing it right.

Some spiritual things are just beyond some people's comprehension.

We are called to be people of the Book - those who delve outside of Scripture and assign meaning to verses that are not contextually sound are not on solid ground. IMHO

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟163,983.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
We are called to be people of the Book - those who delve outside of Scripture and assign meaning to verses that are not contextually sound are not on solid ground. IMHO

No we are not.

We are called to follow Jesus, not our bibles. Our bible is not inserted between GOD and us, it's not an idol that we uplift or require GOD to speak from.

GOD does use His word to teach us regularly, but we don't make fence laws and demand that GOD provide 2 or 3 specific examples first for us or else we don't believe Him.

At this point, I really think you should worry about your own salvation instead of others. It's only you that makes a fool out of yourself before GOD.

Last edited:
Reactions: Francis Drake
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.