Visit site
✟832,904.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Is there a difference between fighting evil forces and study them?
I think that knowing your enemy and his tactics is good. Dr Ed Murphy, in his book "Handbook of Spiritual Warfare" is the best comprehensive study of demon activity, and most of the book is involved with the study of it through the Old and New Testaments, and then there is a section on how he deals with demons.

I liked the bit in the movie "Patton" where he defeated a German attack in the Western Desert in WW2, and exclaimed, "Rommel, I read your book!" By reading Rommel's book about tactics in warfare, Patten knew what he was going to do and successfully countered his strategy.

"In order that Satan might not outwit us. For we are not unaware of his schemes" (2 Corinthians 2:11).

Here is a good book (pdf) that will give you some good insights about the strategies of the devil:
https://www.preachtheword.com/bookstore/remedies.pdf

• Informative
Reactions: Erik Nelson
Upvote 0

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think that knowing your enemy and his tactics is good. Dr Ed Murphy, in his book "Handbook of Spiritual Warfare" is the best comprehensive study of demon activity, and most of the book is involved with the study of it through the Old and New Testaments, and then there is a section on how he deals with demons.

I liked the bit in the movie "Patton" where he defeated a German attack in the Western Desert in WW2, and exclaimed, "Rommel, I read your book!" By reading Rommel's book about tactics in warfare, Patten knew what he was going to do and successfully countered his strategy.

"In order that Satan might not outwit us. For we are not unaware of his schemes" (2 Corinthians 2:11).

Here is a good book (pdf) that will give you some good insights about the strategies of the devil:
I think one need only read the CONTENTS, pages 1-9, for a ton of Spiritual insights. Read those 9 pages twice before venturing into the actual text!

..........past my bedtime..........."and to all, a Good Night."

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,186.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

If Satan were only a man, that might be true.

However, Satan is not a man. Satan and his minions have literally billions of hours of experience studying and deceiving men. They think at a superior level, and their ability to outmaneuver any man is inestimable. They not only know the history and background of humanity in general, but they know the history and background of every individual in particular. They are utterly able to predict any man's next move in any circumstance.

Except for the Holy Spirit. Only through closely following the Holy Spirit can any man make Satan say, "I didn't see that coming."

So it's not Satan that we best study, because we will never know more about him that he knows about us. It's the Holy Spirit that we need to study.

Upvote 0

Universal Love

Jan 3, 2018
Harrisburg
✟15,727.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We know that Jesus and the disciples cast our evil Spirits, we can cite the scriptures. Yet I question those doing deep research in the study of demons and spiritual warfare.
First of all the spirit is our teacher and guide.

Second look at how Jesus responds when tempted by the Devil. The warfare is one of words and knowledge. It's a battle of truth and lies. Deception and wisdom. Satan even goes as far as to use the Word of God against Jesus. The warfare is Oneness and understanding of God and His Word verse the lies and deceit of the world and evil.

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟432,650.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
If Satan were only a man, that might be true.

However, Satan is not a man. Satan and his minions have literally billions of hours of experience studying and deceiving men. They think at a superior level, and their ability to outmaneuver any man is inestimable. They not only know the history and background of humanity in general, but they know the history and background of every individual in particular. They are utterly able to predict any man's next move in any circumstance.

Except for the Holy Spirit. Only through closely following the Holy Spirit can any man make Satan say, "I didn't see that coming."

So it's not Satan that we best study, because we will never know more about him that he knows about us. It's the Holy Spirit that we need to study.
Seems to me this quote refutes your idea: "In order that Satan might not outwit us. For we are not unaware of his schemes" (2 Corinthians 2:11).

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,186.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Seems to me this quote refutes your idea: "In order that Satan might not outwit us. For we are not unaware of his schemes" (2 Corinthians 2:11).

The only way you're going to be aware of his schemes is through the Holy Spirit. Satan can outwit any mind that is conformed to this world; Paul is always speaking of the mind of Christ.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,904.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
The only way you're going to be aware of his schemes is through the Holy Spirit. Satan can outwit any mind that is conformed to this world; Paul is always speaking of the mind of Christ.
Do you acknowledge that one of the five fold ministries to the body of Christ is that of teacher? Why do we need a teaching ministry when we can get it directly from the Holy Spirit all the time?

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,186.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you acknowledge that one of the five fold ministries to the body of Christ is that of teacher? Why do we need a teaching ministry when we can get it directly from the Holy Spirit all the time?

To teach the gospel:

At that time a Jew named Apollos came to Ephesus. He was an educated man from Alexandria. He knew the Scriptures very well. Apollos had been taught the way of the Lord. He spoke with great power. He taught the truth about Jesus. But he only knew about John’s baptism. He began to speak boldly in the synagogue. Priscilla and Aquila heard him. So they invited him to their home. There they gave him a better understanding of the way of God.

When I was active duty Air Force, part of my job was to give pilots a pre-mission intelligence briefing before they launched on their combat missions. It wasn't my job to teach them to fly planes--it was my job to give them the information to combat the tactics I had determined the enemy would use against them on that particular combat mission.

It's the Holy Spirit who provides the "intelligence" to combat a demon's attack on any particular incident. The Holy Spirit knows what that demon is going to do against you on that day and how you must counter that particular attack. You're not going to get that "intel" anywhere else.

That's why the Lord said it takes prayer and fasting.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,904.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
To teach the gospel:

At that time a Jew named Apollos came to Ephesus. He was an educated man from Alexandria. He knew the Scriptures very well. Apollos had been taught the way of the Lord. He spoke with great power. He taught the truth about Jesus. But he only knew about John’s baptism. He began to speak boldly in the synagogue. Priscilla and Aquila heard him. So they invited him to their home. There they gave him a better understanding of the way of God.

When I was active duty Air Force, part of my job was to give pilots a pre-mission intelligence briefing before they launched on their combat missions. It wasn't my job to teach them to fly planes--it was my job to give them the information to combat the tactics I had determined the enemy would use against them on that particular combat mission.

It's the Holy Spirit who provides the "intelligence" to combat a demon's attack on any particular incident. The Holy Spirit knows what that demon is going to do against you on that day and how you must counter that particular attack. You're not going to get that "intel" anywhere else.

That's why the Lord said it takes prayer and fasting.
It is interesting to note that the word "fasting" was not in the original documents. It was added later. Also, it seems strange to me that a teacher in the body of Christ teaches just the gospel to born again Christians and does not go on to sound doctrine. If a teacher taught just the gospel, he would be limited to teaching just milk to perpetual spiritual children. Doesn't the writer to the Hebrews say that we need to progress beyond the basics and get into the meat of the Word?

I went to my favourite Christian second hand bookshop and bought up every book I could on spiritual warfare. It was a great learning experience which gave me any good insights on the principles of spiritual warfare and how to effectively deal with demonic attacks. I had the privilege of learning from the best practitioners and teachers of spiritual warfare, as well as seeing the good, bad and the ugly sides of it. These were highly experienced in the deliverance ministry and their teaching was very sound and informative, and gave me a very good balanced perspective.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,186.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is interesting to note that the word "fasting" was not in the original documents. It was added later. Also, it seems strange to me that a teacher in the body of Christ teaches just the gospel to born again Christians and does not go on to sound doctrine. If a teacher taught just the gospel, he would be limited to teaching just milk to perpetual spiritual children. Doesn't the writer to the Hebrews say that we need to progress beyond the basics and get into the meat of the Word?

I went to my favourite Christian second hand bookshop and bought up every book I could on spiritual warfare. It was a great learning experience which gave me any good insights on the principles of spiritual warfare and how to effectively deal with demonic attacks. I had the privilege of learning from the best practitioners and teachers of spiritual warfare, as well as seeing the good, bad and the ugly sides of it. These were highly experienced in the deliverance ministry and their teaching was very sound and informative, and gave me a very good balanced perspective.

Not really sure why you're arguing against going to the Holy Spirit before facing an unholy spirit and instead want to meet him with only your own mental resources...

...but good luck with that.

I've come through three such encounters by the counsel of the Holy Spirit, myself.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,904.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Not really sure why you're arguing against going to the Holy Spirit before facing an unholy spirit and instead want to meet him with only your own mental resources...

...but good luck with that.

I've come through three such encounters by the counsel of the Holy Spirit, myself.
The Holy Spirit works through anointed teachers as well as by direct impulse. I know that 9 out of 10 personal impressions come from the world, flesh or the devil, instead of the Holy Spirit, so I would rather be safe and learn from anointed and experienced men in the area of spiritual warfare than to trust in impressions that 9/10ths of the time could be false.

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
Is there a difference between fighting evil forces and study them?
Yes, read some good books, but ultimately, the only way to learn spiritual warfare is to get on and do it.
Ask God for wisdom, listen to what the Holy Spirit tells you, then command the demon to go in Jesus name.
This has nothing to do with your position or rank in the church, but who you are in Christ.
I have seen little children cast demons out of very big men!

You will make mistakes, but you will surely learn and grow.

What training did this guy below have before he went out doing the work of Christ?
Mark9v38John answered Him, “Teacher, we saw someone who does not follow us casting out demons in Your name, and we were forbidding him, because he was not following us.”
39And Jesus said, “Don't forbid him. For there is no one who will do a work of power in My name, and will be able readily to speak evil of Me.

If what that man was doing, happened today, most churches would be like John and put an immediate halt to it.
But God loves those who step out in faith.

It reminds me of.-
Numbers11v26But there remained two of the men in the camp, the name of the one was Eldad, and the name of the other Medad: and the spirit rested upon them; and they were of them that were listed, but went not out unto the tabernacle: and they prophesied in the camp.
27And there ran a young man, and told Moses, and said, Eldad and Medad do prophesy in the camp.
28And Joshua the son of Nun, the servant of Moses, one of his young men, answered and said, My lord Moses, forbid them.
29And Moses said unto him, Are you jealous for my sake? would God that all the LORD'S people were prophets, and that the LORD would put his spirit upon them!

Its time the body of Christ left the pews and started doing what Jesus commanded-

Mark16v17And these signs will accompany those having believed: In My name they will cast out demons; they will speak with new tongues;

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,186.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Holy Spirit works through anointed teachers as well as by direct impulse. I know that 9 out of 10 personal impressions come from the world, flesh or the devil, instead of the Holy Spirit, so I would rather be safe and learn from anointed and experienced men in the area of spiritual warfare than to trust in impressions that 9/10ths of the time could be false.

You realize the demons have read all those books, right?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,904.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
If they had they would want to keep as many people as possible from reading the ones that could equip believers to effectively cast them out of people.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,186.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If they had they would want to keep as many people as possible from reading the ones that could equip believers to effectively cast them out of people.

Umm, yes.

And it works. More people written books by people instead of putting that time into fasting and prayer and scripture itself. They know what they're doing.

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
These demons have also read the bible and know it back to front. Does that render the bible of no use in spiritual warfare?

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
Stay way from anything evil. No study, nothing!
To run away and hide is
a pathetic fear filled and faithless response,.
It reminds me of the cowardly response of European leaders to Hitler's aggression.
As Churchill said, "appeasing Hitler is like feeding a crocodile in the hope that it will eat you last"!

You have rejected Jesus's instruction that we must cast out demons.
Mark16v17And these signs will accompany those having believed: In My name they will cast out demons; they will speak with new tongues;

You have denied that Christians are called to Spiritual warfare.
Eph6v12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Jesus said "If I cast out demons by the spirit of God, then is the kingdom of God come upon you."
Conversely, failing to cast demons out ensures the kingdom of Satan remains upon you.

Spiritual warfare is about regime change!

Last edited:
Upvote 0