New York
✟16,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Widowed
On another thread, the subject of "spiritual truths" found in the Bible came up. I asked the poster who brought it up, "How many spiritual truths are there in the Bible?" The poster was a little vague with the number, but I came up with 2.

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

"Eat, drink, and be merry."

I am soliciting other spiritual truths that posters here have found in the Bible. My idea is to get down to the "spiritual truths" that everyone here can agree on, that are found in the Bible.

Share?

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
On another thread, the subject of "spiritual truths" found in the Bible came up. I asked the poster who brought it up, "How many spiritual truths are there in the Bible?" The poster was a little vague with the number, but I came up with 2.

I am soliciting other spiritual truths that posters here have found in the Bible. My idea is to get down to the "spiritual truths" that everyone here can agree on, that are found in the Bible.

Share?
More than one source is required for me.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟728,236.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

Share?

"Eat, drink, and be merry" comes from Ecclesiastes and is in the context of the meaninglessness of life which the author is describing. It's not a joyful expression, it's a sad, tragic expression about how seemingly pointless life is. Since, as the author of Ecclesiastes speaks, life is completely meaningless and without purpose, why not simply eat, drink, and be merry? It is precisely in this way that St. Paul later references it--that if there is no resurrection, if there is no hope, if Christ is still dead, then our lives as Christians is completely and entirely meaningless. We are a pitiable people who have put our faith in meaninglessness. If there is no hope, then eat, drink, be merry, because tomorrow we die, and that's the end of it.

It is an expression of pessimistic hopelessness, an expression of nihilism.

Not because enjoying life is a bad thing; but because the expression as used in the text is used to point toward the ultimate futility of everything.

However, we are not a people without hope. We are a people of hope. Our song is not funeral dirge, but the joyous cry of hallelujah.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Emmylouwho

Sep 5, 2019
New York
✟16,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Widowed
"Eat, drink, and be merry" comes from Ecclesiastes and is in the context of the meaninglessness of life which the author is describing. It's not a joyful expression, it's a sad, tragic expression about how seemingly pointless life is. Since, as the author of Ecclesiastes speaks, life is completely meaningless and without purpose, why not simply eat, drink, and be merry? It is precisely in this way that St. Paul later references it--that if there is no resurrection, if there is no hope, if Christ is still dead, then our lives as Christians is completely and entirely meaningless. We are a pitiable people who have put our faith in meaninglessness. If there is no hope, then eat, drink, be merry, because tomorrow we die, and that's the end of it.

Not because enjoying life is a bad thing; but because the expression as used in the text is used to point toward the ultimate futility of everything.

However, we are not a people without hope. We are a people of hope. Our song is not funeral dirge, but the joyous cry of hallelujah.

-CryptoLutheran
Ok, so do you agree with the other one: do unto others as you would have them do unto you?

Upvote 0

Ricky M

Supporter
Apr 19, 2017
Los Angeles
✟130,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I came up with 2.

I'm good with do unto others, but where does eat drink and be merry come from?

Upvote 0

Ricky M

Supporter
Apr 19, 2017
Los Angeles
✟130,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

-CryptoLutheran
And there's my answer!

Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟154,100.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

Share?

It seems to me that what you're talking about here is philosophies, not spiritual truths. These statements are advice based on a certain point of view about life, which is philosophy. Anyone, believer or unbeliever, can reason out a philosophy to use these statements as a conclusion about life.

A spiritual truth is a revelation from God about what is true in the spiritual realm, for example a kind of wisdom that is given by God for understanding the gospel. An example of that is "by grace are you saved through faith" would then be a spiritual truth. It is something that is activated in the spirit realm, and is not naturally understood or reasoned.

So then, there are many spiritual truths in the Bible, and I've never attempted to count them. What Paul says about it in 1 Cor. 2 is that we speak of spiritual things, combining spiritual thoughts with spiritual words. Therefore I think of the whole Bible as being full of spiritual truths.
TD:)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Emmylouwho

Sep 5, 2019
New York
✟16,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Widowed
It seems to me that what you're talking about here is philosophies, not spiritual truths. These statements are advice based on a certain point of view about life, which is philosophy. Anyone, believer or unbeliever, can reason out a philosophy to use these statements as a conclusion about life.

A spiritual truth is a revelation from God about what is true in the spiritual realm, for example a kind of wisdom that is given by God for understanding the gospel. An example of that is "by grace are you saved through faith" would then be a spiritual truth. It is something that is activated in the spirit realm, and is not naturally understood or reasoned.

So then, there are many spiritual truths in the Bible, and I've never attempted to count them. What Paul says about it in 1 Cor. 2 is that we speak of spiritual things, combining spiritual thoughts with spiritual words. Therefore I think of the whole Bible as being full of spiritual truths.
I’m sorry about the misunderstanding. I thought the post was clear but I will rephrase:

I am soliciting SPIRITUAL TRUTHS THAT CAN BE FOUND IN THE BIBLE. Not philospies.

So far no one has argued with me about this one: do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

I’m hoping we can compile a list of biblical spiritual truths that us Christians can all agree with. Is that so terrible?

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,041,802.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I’m hoping we can compile a list of biblical spiritual truths that us Christians can all agree with. Is that so terrible?

All Christians agree on the Gospel - that God came into the world as a human being, taught and showed us what God is like, died for our sins on the cross so that we could be reconciled to his Father, was raised again, ascended, sent his Holy Spirit to believers and will return again one day.
Christians agree that the Bible is the written word of God - even if we have different ideas on how to interpret it.
The Bible is full of spiritual truths - such as, the wages of sin is death, Romans 6:23; Jesus gives eternal life, John 3:36, John 6:40, John 10:10; nothing can separate us from God's love, Romans 8:38-39; the Holy Spirit gives us gifts, 1 Corinthians 12, assures us that we are God's children, Romans 8:16 and that if we are filled with the Spirit we will bear fruit, Galatians 5:22-23.
What other truths do you want?

By the way, no one will argue with the statement "do yo others as you would have them do to you" because it's something Jesus said.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
More than one source is required for you to do what? This is a survey of spiritual truths, not facts.

There are no spiritual truths for me that only have one author in scripture.
If a "truth" is a one-off, then it's not on my list. I hope my share does not offend ye.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Yes, you're right! I'm not Gandalf!
Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,126,163.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Share?

Personally, I've lost count, but for more practical purposes, and because both Jesus and Paul seem to coalesce on the same points, I'm going to boil it all down to the following bits of Scripture:

Matthew 22:34-40 (Jesus)
34 Hearing that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees, the Pharisees got together. 35 One of them, an expert in the law, tested him with this question: 36 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”

37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind." 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself." 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”​

AND

Romans 10:4 (Paul)
Christ is the culmination [fulfillment] of the law so that there may be righteousness for everyone who believes.​

AND

Romans 13:8-10 (Paul)
8 Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another, for whoever loves others has fulfilled the law. 9 The commandments, “You shall not commit adultery,” “You shall not murder,” “You shall not steal,” “You shall not covet,”" and whatever other command there may be, are summed up in this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”" 10 Love does no harm to a neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.
:heart::heart::heart:

Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟154,100.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I’m sorry about the misunderstanding. I thought the post was clear but I will rephrase:

I am soliciting SPIRITUAL TRUTHS THAT CAN BE FOUND IN THE BIBLE. Not philospies.

So far no one has argued with me about this one: do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Perhaps I didn't get my point across, so I'll go at it at a different angle. "Do unto others..." is not a spiritual truth. It is a command of Jesus, which is a practical action of doing God's will.

A spiritual truth in reference to this command would be something like: "God is at work in you, to will and do His good pleasure." This is a spiritual truth that leads us to trust that God is working the work of love through our actions, which is a matter of faith.

Likewise, when John wrote "he who comes to the light, comes so that it might be shown that his deeds are done through God" is teaching the same spiritual truth.

Do you see the difference between a spiritual truth and a commandment?

• Agree
Reactions: Strong in Him
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums