Spiritual season after declaring Christ as Lord: wandering through desert after leaving 'Egypt'

Did you have a season of wandering through the desert after declaring Christ as your Lord?

• Yes

Votes: 7 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Nov 13, 2016
Latvia
✟126,634.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello, dear brothers and sisters!

Please answer the poll only if you are sure about your answer. :)

I have a question that has been nagging me for a while. I have already questioned some people of faith from my church about this, but I want to gather more information.

My question is - do we, Christians, followers of Christ, the one's that declared Him as Lord and received the promise of His Spirit, always go through a season of 'desert', more precisely are we led by Him through the desert as Israel was lead through the desert for 40 years after leaving Egypt? I see this in Jesus life aswell - after Spirit fell on Him, He was also lead through the desert. I am thinking that this might very well happen to us all.

I am raising this question because I myself have this experience of going through the desert and so I am wondering - do we all go through it?

What are your experiences? What have you seen in other Christian lifes? Do we all go through the desert after leaving 'Egypt'? How long is this season if you find yourself in it: I am sensing that it could depend on the individual. Am i right? If you had a seasong like this - how long was it for you? Are there ways to shorten it? What kind of people go through the desert faster?

If you came out of the 'desert' alive, what happened next? When do we reach the Promissed Land - His Kingdom? This might very well be material for a new thread, but I'll raise the question here: if you feel like you've found His Kingdom - how long did it take after declaring Him as Lord? How do you feel - was your entering of His Kingdom completely dependant on His grace and love or were there any of your own striving, or possibly - both? And again - ideas for reaching The Kingdom faster. :) Also - how was your entering of The Kindgom, what happened, what changed (I am thinking that it must have been glorious)?

Can't wait for your answers.

Last edited:

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Please answer the poll only if you are sure about your answer. :)...

My question is - do we, Christians, followers of Christ, the one's that declared Him as Lord and received the promise of His Spirit, always go through a season of 'desert', more precisely are we led by Him through the desert as Israel was lead through the desert for 40 years after leaving Egypt?...
I am raising this question because I myself have this experience of going through the desert and so I am wondering - do we all go through it?

What are your experiences? What have you seen in other Christian lifes? Do we all go through the desert after leaving 'Egypt'? How long is this season if you find yourself in it: I am sensing that it could depend on the individual. Am i right? If you had a seasong like this - how long was it for you? Are there ways to shorten it? What kind of people go through the desert faster?

If you came out of the 'desert' alive, what happened next? When do we reach the Promissed Land - His Kingdom? This might very well be material for a new thread, but I'll raise the question here: if you feel like you've found His Kingdom - how long did it take after declaring Him as Lord? How do you feel - was your entering of His Kingdom completely dependant on His grace and love or were there any of your own striving, or possibly - both? And again - ideas for reaching The Kingdom faster. :) Also - how was your entering of The Kindgom, what happene, what changed (I am thinking that it must have been glorious)?

I don’t know about “always”, or “everyone”, but after I met Christ, there was a brief “honeymoon” period, but then I went through a several year phase of feeling alone, without God’s Presence, doubting my beliefs, exploring other spiritual paths, until He sent a few people in my path to lead me back to Him. At that point He made His Presence known to me again, and I have been following Him more closely ever since for the last nearly 30 years. But this is still a journey...”I am the Way, the Truth and the Life”, He said (John 14:6), emphasis mine.

What is the Kingdom? Many debates on this for which I have no answers. But I have found peace, assurance and blessing with Him, though I am still seeking His fullness and ever more direct communion with Him.

(But what do I know? I’m just a baby, taking his first steps...)

Upvote 0

Emli

Growing daughter of God
Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2017
Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I have been saved for two and a half years, and for two years, I was alone with God, definitely in the wilderness. I was tested, tempted, persecuted, misled, chastened and God taught me so much. I learnt how to stop sinning, surrender to the Holy Spirit, persevere through trials, hear His voice and follow His leading.
Then on my third year, I started having fellowship with other Christians, and started ministering to people, and since then I've been going through intense trials, I've been tested and sifted by the devil, to see if my faith would stand the test, which it did, and I have learnt much more about the LORD. I can't really share too much right now, because I'm in a period of really waking up, and recuperating, and it's kind of a blur, but I will share more in the future.
I don't know what's coming next, but I have a feeling it will be good. :) Whether I'm in the Kingdom yet, I don't know, but I'm definitely starting to really walk with Christ and completely surrender to the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I have a question that has been nagging me for a while. I have already questioned some people of faith from my church about this, but I want to gather more information.

My question is - do we, Christians, followers of Christ, the one's that declared Him as Lord and received the promise of His Spirit, always go through a season of 'desert', more precisely are we led by Him through the desert as Israel was lead through the desert for 40 years after leaving Egypt? I see this in Jesus life aswell - after Spirit fell on Him, He was also lead through the desert. I am thinking that this might very well happen to us all.

If you came out of the 'desert' alive, what happened next? When do we reach the Promissed Land - His Kingdom? This might very well be material for a new thread, but I'll raise the question here: if you feel like you've found His Kingdom - how long did it take after declaring Him as Lord? How do you feel - was your entering of His Kingdom completely dependant on His grace and love or were there any of your own striving, or possibly - both? And again - ideas for reaching The Kingdom faster. :) Also - how was your entering of The Kindgom, what happened, what changed (I am thinking that it must have been glorious)?

Well, when you read this from Christ, listening, how does it seem to you?

Luke 15 NIV
(yes, the full chapter, as the early part leads into the profound parable)

For me, I notice that the son (he's fully a son) leaves, and is taking his inheritance along with him. Now, he has his inheritance with him. And he leaves his Father's house. He has his inheritance with him and also at the same time departs to do his own things. To me it's what came to mind when you spoke of deserts and leaving Egypt (being freed). As we know much of Israel did not really believe well, because waiting while Moses was up on the mountain was too much for them, and they built an idol, and much later in time only Caleb and Joshua made it over the Jordan, right (Moses didn't get that particular gift due to his own failure at one point). People that go into the 'desert' it seems leave the Father's House, carrying their inheritance. It's going to be hard to have the....fellowship with Him in His house (the non-tangible presence of Him) as we are merely doing our own stuff, like....well, all sorts of our own idols like you name it, ideologies, politics, football, whatever we elevate as our most important thing we choose to make our focus, choose to "abide" in instead of abiding with Him. When I watch some football, I want to be sure I'm thinking of Him often, abiding, and not choosing instead to abide with merely the Packers or whatever else. This was what I thought of, but I'm sure there is more from others.

It seems like possibly some are very prodigal, as in the parable, but also some do a sort of half-way prodigal, say going into town but staying in town, involved in the worries of the day (Matthew 6:19 Context: "Don't lay up treasures for yourselves on the earth, where moth and rust consume, and where thieves break through and steal;). For me a most crucial part of the cure was how He reached me through His words in the gospels. Because I listened, I was turned, as the prodigal was.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

A very typical scenario is that after conversion, a person will have a period of deep communion with God as he is learning. Then comes a period of "growing up" and testing, which is described by many as a desert, a lack of being aware of God's presence, hiddenness of God, and so on.

These periods of time vary greatly. We are all different, and God knows how to best grow each of us. There is nothing we can do to hasten our way through these times - but there are things we can do that will prolong them, so the only thing we can do is not drag them out.

Typically, God will begin to step in with little blessings. They strengthen us along the way, comfort us. IF we move into later stages, it is possible to achieve ongoing communion with God ... like one who abides in His temple and goes out no more again. But that is honestly quite rare and requires total commitment and cooperation, and going through the earlier stages. Most people who seriously pursue God will find alternating stages of communion and desert times as they further grow in the faith.

The ways we go through these stages without prolonging them? There are advisors out there who can guide - I'm not a teacher of such things. But I have learned that faithfulness in prayer, sincerely pursuing holiness and Christlikeness, loving others in truth, crucifying the flesh, cultivating a continual awareness of God, forgiving others for everything, meditating on the Scriptures and on God, not trusting at ALL in ourselves, receiving the Sacraments ... these are the kinds of things that help us not to prolong our periods of learning. But it will take as long as it takes.

And the reasons WHY you want to get through the desert matter too. If one is looking for the pleasurable physical sensations, for example, God is likely to mostly (or completely) withhold them. Our goal should be to be united with Christ in love, and humbly submitting to that, a desire for God Himself, not what He can do for us. That is harder than it sounds, because that initial period is so enjoyable, it's difficult not to desire those things again. But we have to grow up.

The Kingdom of God is near at hand, it is within us. Yes, we can have experience of it in this life. The difficulty is in keeping it. At first that part is easy. But the closer we grow to God, the more precarious it can be. Simply a moment's interaction in the mind allowing the barest thought of temptation can be enough to bar us for a time when we have become very close to God, but in the beginning, it is far, far less strict. If we pay attention we will learn what things separate us as we grow, and the separation is painful, so we can decide what we really desire.

In my own case, the very first separation was incredibly desolate and painful for me. It was a few months after I started seriously pursuing God as an adult, and I read some material that caused doubt and confusion. God was completely hidden from me for two weeks. I read most of the Old Testament, color-coding parts of it, trying to overcome what I'd read. More experienced Christians laughed at me when I described how terrible and how long those two weeks seemed. I was an infant. The tests became much, much greater after that. But it is going to vary for every person. It's difficult to be one's own guide at times like that though, especially if we are seeking the wrong kind of confirmation from God, because the enemy will often gleefully provide it, to our further confusion and distancing from God.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Becoming...uncomfortable that one seems in a desert is a very good moment I think. One has become aware one isn't where one wants to be. It's so much better than the situation of not even being aware something is missing.

Depending on just how far out in the wilderness is being experienced. We stumble, as humans, and have "alternating stages of communion and desert times as [we] further grow..." But, if instead a person is out in that desert for a time and gets uncomfortable, there is hope.

Some, not all perhaps, will have departed away from Him (but only temporarily we hope) by their own actions, such as sins that separate us from Him. They would need but to repent, since when they confess and repent, suddenly that removal is reversed.

But how will they get there? They'd have to slow down and remember Him, what He has done for us, for instance.

It can be though that just like the prodigal, some will have to "hit bottom", be in a crisis, in order to turn.

For many though, many, they could end their wilderness wandering by beginning to listen (listening in the way that is hearing instead of talking over or ignoring) to Christ in His words to us, which He spoke that we might hear, and follow. I know this is what changed me.

How could we "abide" if we do not hear? I can't imagine how it would be possible to be with Christ, but not listen to Him.

"My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me."

It seems likely that if one isn't reading and dwelling in His words, then they must be in the wilderness, even if they don't know it yet. Doesn't that seem right?

If someone is in the wilderness, they can open a gospel and begin reading with real listening/hearing.

That has an effect. Changes will happen when we do that!

Reactions: “Paisios”
Upvote 0

GandalfTheWise

In search of lost causes and hopeless battles
May 27, 2012
Wisconsin
✟71,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I've been a Christian for over 40 years now. I had the typical ups and downs but did not have a serious desert experience until I was over 30 years into my Christian walk. It lasted a few years. It was really a time of God reshaping my identity into the person He wanted me to be.

I had spent the first 30 some years of my Christian life focused on "doing" what a Christian was supposed to. I had made my identity into being a good Christian, a good husband, a good father, a good employee, a good son, etc. God took me into a desert away from all my activities. He put me in front of a figurative mirror and I had no idea who I was looking at. My identity was completely wrapped up in doing the right stuff with the right motives and bearing fruit.

Since coming out of the desert, my life has been focused on "being" the unique person God created me to be. Over a period of about a year, God took me on a journey of self-discovery where He started to show me who He had created me to be. Life is completely different now. I feel like life and ministry just naturally flow out from me rather having to work hard at it. I feel like my life has been more fruitful in the past 6 or 7 years since coming out of the desert than the 30 years previous to that. Instead of feeling like I have to strive and labor to live life, it just feels like life is just naturally flowing out.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

... I feel like life and ministry just naturally flow out from me rather having to work hard at it. I feel like my life has been more fruitful in the past 6 or 7 years since coming out of the desert than the 30 years previous to that. Instead of feeling like I have to strive and labor to live life, it just feels like life is just naturally flowing out.

This reminds me very strongly of John chapter 15, verses 1 through 17 -- we have the true fruit because of Him, because of being with Him, from Him. Praise God!

Upvote 0

Peter Adeshina Babalola

Nov 4, 2017
Lagos
✟33,268.00
Country
Nigeria
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married

Let's not make the kingdom mystical. Read John 3:1-11. Colossians 1:13 says when we accept Christ as lord and saviour we are delivered from the kingdom of darkness into the kingdom of his dear son. Read Ephesians 1, 2 and 3. The moment you accept Jesus as lord and saviour from that day you are in the kingdom and this doesnt mean you don't go through rough patch seasons of dryness as you walk with him.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,958.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

In 2 Corinthians 8, Paul maps the Church to "Israel in the wilderness."

IOW, the entire Body of Christ is as Israel in the Wilderness. We are no longer under bondage, but we are not yet in our Promised Land.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PeaceJoyLove

Apr 9, 2017
Nova Scotia
✟66,922.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

In relation to our soul, the process (taking place within) is like wandering in a wilderness until you come out of it, forsaking it. This is the what Jesus spoke of - to lose your soul to find it. Desolation...it is light called out of darkness. The dark night of the soul...the darker the night, the great the light

Wandering between two mountains, stuck between two minds. All that happened to Israel (as a son) is a picture of this process taking place within/soul's journey. Israel, 40 years wandering in the desert...or Jesus led by the spirit into the wilderness for 40 days of temptation and a second 40 after His resurrection of walking the earth before being glorified and taken up to the throne.

Carrying our cross... Cast to the ground, it becomes a bottomless pit with serpents that bite...the flip side of the same coin, high and lifted up, it becomes an open door (to heaven) that no man can shut. In our own mind of man, we tend to build an image of who/what we perceive God to be and cling to it...which is really not the truth, but a lie. God reveals Himself to us...the wanderings are very necessary to the process taking place within and bring us to the place where we can 'see' from afar what our hope truly is...Moses never entered the Promised Land though he could see it. (And I see that you can see it too! :D)

To enter into the kingdom/the city/His rest (through the door, reclined at the table being served) is to come in out of the field (labouring for bread) is at God's appointed time...nothing we can do of 'self'...just keep hoping for the things you can "see" for He can only give us what we can 'see' as possible...

Upvote 0

PeaceJoyLove

Apr 9, 2017
Nova Scotia
✟66,922.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
And again - ideas for reaching The Kingdom faster. :) Also - how was your entering of The Kindgom, what happened, what changed (I am thinking that it must have been glorious)?

As mentioned in my previous post, keep truth (cross) high and lifted up...that is to let The Word reveal itself...man tends to measure and divide things that are immeasurable, for infinite God is One. Anything that is not of faith...God is invisible and Paul says of faith - the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

That which is being revealed in the mirror (at first dimly)...then face to face as surely known as we have always been known...a son (no gender implied) born of God the father. The end of our faith takes us back to the beginning (Alpha and Omega, First and Last Adam, the beginning and the end), so build no city/image/idol out of a truth or a wandering you will go...

To enter in is glorious and beyond what could ever be imagined in the mind of man.. Jesus said we could add nothing to our stature by thought (Take no thought)...to strive to enter his rest is to labour by thought...it will happen at the appointed time and each man in his own order...

Upvote 0

Homer Les

Dec 7, 2017
Kingston
Visit site
✟16,425.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I can speak confidently for our family that, yes, God can and does lead His people out of Egypt and into the desert. I must say from what we have learned that one must first be trained and grow up in Egypt to a point of spiritual maturity where one can handle the desert. The desert will destroy the weak and that is not God's intent. The desert is to unveil and ultimately destroy the 'self' nature in us and make us wholly dependent on Him. Those brutal experiences are not for the faint of heart. this is why only He can lead us into a desert experience.

Our story is not mystical, allegorical or mythical. It is far from the world of thoughts, ideas and theology. We have a testimony of being led through a very physical experience of the wilderness as Jesus led us. We will testify that what we have learned is that when you give up all to follow Him He will provide. The wilderness is ugly and brutal as the 'self' nature in us and in others is exposed. For us, it was a time of facing the visceral betrayal of man akin to what Jesus experienced.

Although we are done with the worst part of our journey we are not quite finished yet. I cannot speak to the Promised Land as we are not there yet but I believe soon.

For those that want a visual story of the wilderness in the 21st century God had us write our testimony down. If you are interested you can read it here. Wilderness - How to Marry Jesus in 10 Years or Less, an Ebook by Homer Les & Wanda Ring

Homer Les
www.homerlesandwandring.com

Upvote 0