• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

"Spiritual Rebirth"

Discussion in 'Non-denominational' started by Rob, Oct 23, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rob

Rob Regular Member

+0
    "Spiritual Rebirth"

Nicodemus was a very high ranking Pharasee who went to Jesus at night (so as not to be seen by the other Pharasees) to ask Him some questions. As Jesus so often did in His ministry He did not answer Nicodemus question directly but instead taught him something much more important. Jesus obviously got through as Nicodemus was one of the men who took Jesus body and placed it in the tomb after he was crucified.

John 3
    Now there was a man of the Pharisees named Nicodemus, a member of the Jewish ruling council.
    He came to Jesus at night and said, "Rabbi, we know you are a teacher who has come from God. For no one could perform the miraculous signs you are doing if God were not with him."
    In reply Jesus declared, "I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again.<1> "
    "How can a man be born when he is old?" Nicodemus asked. "Surely he cannot enter a second time into his mother's womb to be born!"
    Jesus answered, "I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit.
    Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit<2> gives birth to spirit.
    You should not be surprised at my saying, `You<3> must be born again.'
    The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit."
    "How can this be?" Nicodemus asked.
    "You are Israel's teacher," said Jesus, "and do you not understand these things?
    I tell you the truth, we speak of what we know, and we testify to what we have seen, but still you people do not accept our testimony.
    I have spoken to you of earthly things and you do not believe; how then will you believe if I speak of heavenly things?
    No one has ever gone into heaven except the one who came from heaven--the Son of Man.<4>
    Just as Moses lifted up the snake in the desert, so the Son of Man must be lifted up,
    that everyone who believes in him may have eternal life.<5>
    "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son,<6> that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
    For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.
    Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son.<7>

The term "Born Again" Christian came into prominence in the 1970s when Jimmy Carter used it in describing himself during his presidential campaign. It is really a redundant term and I have never liked it. It implies that there are 2 different kinds of Christian, those "born again" and the normal ones. The fact of the matter is without spiritual rebirth one is not Christian.

JESUS INSTRUCTION ABOUT SPIRITUAL REBIRTH

* It MUST OCCUR in order for one to "see" or enter the kingdom of God (John 3:3,5,7)

* It occurs by the working of the HOLY SPIRIT (John 3:5-6)

* It is based upon Jesus death on the CROSS (John 3:14-15)

* It is a gift recieved by FAITH, for everyone who "believes in Him" (John 3:15-1:cool:

WHAT DOES SPIRITUAL REBIRTH MEAN FOR MY LIFE? IT MEANS:

* I HAVE A FORGIVEN PAST (2 Corinthians 5)
    Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!

We no longer have to live under a burden of guilt. God removes the dark cloud hanging over us. It is a liberating feeling and allows one to be totally honest. We no longer have to hide our failures and shortcommings and can be truely free.

* I HAVE A NEW FUTURE (Ephesians 2:6-7)

Ephesians 2
    And God raised us up with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus,
    in order that in the coming ages he might show the incomparable riches of his grace, expressed in his kindness to us in Christ Jesus.

Eternal Life begins the minute you accept Christ. Its a happier way to live life now. Many people resist and turn away from Jesus because they dont want to change the way they are living. I personally was like that. I have found more joy in listening and trying to serve God than in any of the things I gave up. God made them less desirable and replaced them with other activities that bring much more joy.

* I HAVE A NEW RELATIONSHIP WITH GOD (Romans 8:15-16)

Romans 8
    For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship.<1> And by him we cry, "Abba,<2> Father."
    The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God's children.

God loves us like a Father and wants only what is best for us in the long run. Thats why he gave Moses laws to be obeyed. He protects us like we protect our children.

* I HAVE A GOD GIVEN PURPOSE IN LIFE (Ephesians 2:10)

Ephesians 2
    For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

Once we accept Jesus we step onto the path of Gods divine purpose for our life. You are uniquely gifted to fulfill part of Gods plan. Every Christian is a minister. We minister in our day to day walk with our Lord. No task is insignificant. The most visible here on earth may not be the most important. The prayer warrior who is never seen may be exalted higher in heaven that the TV evangelist who recieves all the glory here on earth.

* GODS SPIRIT IS PRESENT TO HELP ME LIVE A NEW LIFE (Romans :cool:

Romans 8
    You, however, are controlled not by the sinful nature but by the Spirit, if the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Christ.

Many people dont come to Christ because they think they can never measure up to the Christian lifestyle. They think they will not be able to change. The HOLY SPIRIT is described by many names, helper, teacher, comforter,and empowerer to name a few. He lives in you and empowers you to change. Its an awesome life.

Praise the Lord and have a God filled day

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. ZoneChaos

ZoneChaos Senior Veteran

+21
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    It implies that there are 2 different kinds of Christian, those "born again" and the normal ones.[/quote]

Actually there are 2 types of Christians. the "Born Again" ones being true Christians, and the "not-born again" being those who only thinki they are Christians, and thus call themselves Christians.

But I loved the post:)

Make sme think of a statement I heard the other day:

Christians will be born twice and die once, but non-christians will only be born once and will die twice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.