London, UK
✟823,617.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus attacked the Pharisees for their hypocrisy and for their pride. He did not attack rich men or powerful men with the same vitriol that he reserved for the so called religious leaders of his age. I have been given a sermon to do on pride and I think that asking for help for this might be my least "proudful" way of approaching such a talk!

People today take pride in all sorts of things that do not ultimately matter like money, power, fame, sexual prowess, physical fitness, sporting success, the fact their marriage has lasted while others failed, educational achievements... But all this is secular and does not matter compared to the things of God. Those who claim to know God and speak for him but whose behaviour does not match the high standards that God Himself has set, their pride is the worst.

Having studied theology and having known many people who believe they understand the things of God and like to speak with authority about Him I have seen a lot of spiritual pride in others and am worried that sometimes I may also be proud like this. It scares me cause I know Gods word which says "pride comes before a fall and humility before honour". When I know I am getting proud I also get quite terrified of some kind of lightning bolt on my life and I have already had my fill of those. But even those who lack a theological education and simply know their bibles really well or pray more than most others or have been given a Christian leadership position without any real training can be vulnerable to pride.

1) So what is spiritual pride exactly?
2) Why is pride so dangerous?
3) How can you fix a person who is spiritually proud?

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,617.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
We think we know about God and His Word without involving, asking Him.

"Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls." Matt 11:29 it takes submission, service, and union.

"Simply join your life with mine. Learn my ways and you’ll discover that I’m gentle, humble, easy to please. You will find refreshment and rest in me." TPT

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟823,617.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We think we know about God and His Word without involving, asking Him.

"Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls." Matt 11:29 it takes submission, service, and union.

"Simply join your life with mine. Learn my ways and you’ll discover that I’m gentle, humble, easy to please. You will find refreshment and rest in me." TPT

True who can be proud standing in the presence of the Almighty, Eternal , All Knowing God whose Light , Life and Love burn with an intensity that none can match.

Pride is a kind of hatred of God as it sets self in opposition to the reality of God. It stands "alone" in the presence of God and pretends it knows better. It is the devil in Gods presence thinking he can evolve to take Gods throne or outwit the Divine for his own advantage.

Simply sitting in Gods presence, allowing that presence to penetrate our being , animating , healing and providing proper perspective should cleanse us of all pride. Doing what God has commanded , loving others and even giving ourselves for others are all antidotes to pride.

Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,737.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Jesus attacked the Pharisees for their hypocrisy and for their pride. He did not attack rich men or powerful men with the same vitriol that he reserved for the so called religious leaders of his age. I have been given a sermon to do on pride and I think that asking for help for this might be my least "proudful" way of approaching such a talk!

People today take pride in all sorts of things that do not ultimately matter like money, power, fame, sexual prowess, physical fitness, sporting success, the fact their marriage has lasted while others failed, educational achievements... But all this is secular and does not matter compared to the things of God. Those who claim to know God and speak for him but whose behaviour does not match the high standards that God Himself has set, their pride is the worst.

Having studied theology and having known many people who believe they understand the things of God and like to speak with authority about Him I have seen a lot of spiritual pride in others and am worried that sometimes I may also be proud like this. It scares me cause I know Gods word which says "pride comes before a fall and humility before honour". When I know I am getting proud I also get quite terrified of some kind of lightning bolt on my life and I have already had my fill of those. But even those who lack a theological education and simply know their bibles really well or pray more than most others or have been given a Christian leadership position without any real training can be vulnerable to pride.

1) So what is spiritual pride exactly?
2) Why is pride so dangerous?
3) How can you fix a person who is spiritually proud?
Pride is pride, regardless of what we may be proud about. In classic teachings that I know of, pride is self-exaltation or glorification. It opposes God by its nature because at its root is the desire to be "like God". By his act of disobedience Adam effectively denied Gods authority as God, and became his own "god" in the process. That was the essence or beginning of human pride, to fail to understand our limitations, the distinction between created and Creator.

It's been defined as "inordinate self-love", or to desire for oneself an excellence beyond our capability to achieve, beyond what we are. In any case its sort of the granddaddy of all sins because it opens the door to the rest. Humans generally commit evil or sin in the pursuit of some perceived good. We must feel justified at the time. Pride provides the means to this self-justification because pride is basically self-righteousness, which, again, opposes the "righteousness of God" by its nature. IOW the worst atrocities committed, such as those committed by ISIS, for example, are done by someone who think they have the right, and believe they are actually doing something good.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟823,617.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The more we think we know the less open we are to learning and growing.

Think you would have to elaborate on that. Knowing that God is Almighty, Eternal, the Creator and Sustainer of all is a kind of knowledge that should add to our humility and the credibility of God as Teacher. Knowing that He loved us to the point of sacrificing His Son for us is also humbling.

This kind of knowledge adds to humility and openness to God.

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟823,617.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It makes person blind. A proud person doesn’t see his own weaknesses and that leads easily to mistakes, which causes the fall.

As I read these words I am reminded of a drunken Englishman chanting “Two world wars and one world cup” to an embarassed German. Earthly victories without heavenly perspective makes fools of men and nations

Reactions: 1213
Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Think you would have to elaborate on that. Knowing that God is Almighty, Eternal, the Creator and Sustainer of all is a kind of knowledge that should add to our humility and the credibility of God as Teacher. Knowing that He loved us to the point of sacrificing His Son for us is also humbling.

This kind of knowledge adds to humility and openness to God.
Yes it does but not to the point of omniscience, particularly while we are still on this side of Glorification.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟823,617.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Pride is pride, regardless of what we may be proud about. In classic teachings that I know of, pride is self-exaltation or glorification. It opposes God by its nature because at its root is the desire to be "like God". By his act of disobedience Adam effectively denied Gods authority as God, and became his own "god" in the process. That was the essence or beginning of human pride, to fail to understand our limitations, the distinction between created and Creator.

It's been defined as "inordinate self-love", or to desire for oneself an excellence beyond our capability to achieve, beyond what we are. In any case its sort of the granddaddy of all sins because it opens the door to the rest. Humans generally commit evil or sin in the pursuit of some perceived good. We must feel justified at the time. Pride provides the means to this self-justification because pride is basically self-righteousness, which, again, opposes the "righteousness of God" by its nature. IOW the worst atrocities committed, such as those committed by ISIS, for example, are done by someone who think they have the right, and believe they are actually doing something good.

i get your point about how a proudful focus on a good but without a rounded heavenly perspective is a root of much evil and arrogant and violent assertion. But surely the aspiration to excellence, to do the best job we can for the glory of God is not an evil. Indeed a true vision of the excellence of God should inspire an aspiration beyond mediocrity.

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,737.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
i get your point about how a proudful focus on a good but without a rounded heavenly perspective is a root of much evil and arrogant and violent assertion. But surely the aspiration to excellence, to do the best job we can for the glory of God is not an evil. Indeed a true vision of the excellence of God should inspire an aspiration beyond mediocrity.
The aspiration for excellence is good. It's when we desire to be more than who we innately are that we echo Adam's sin of failing to recognize his limitations as a created being vis a vis his Creator. And this opens the door to any and all sin because it makes morality relative-to our whim or opinion.

Reactions: ~Zao~
Upvote 0