United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Spiritual Practice

I was talking to Br. Elias, this AM, after community Mass. We both do breakfast dishes together, most mornings. It is a nice time to spend with him. We have a good system, and it only takes about 20 or 30 minutes. I have known him from the early 70’s, and he is a very gentle, kind, man. I enjoy doing dishes by myself or with one other. It is quiet, and afterward, I felt like I did something to make a chaotic world, a little less disordered. You could call it a ‘practice ‘since it needs to be done every day, and because of that, I can get the energy to do it even when I don’t especially feel like it. As we were doing dishes, Elias told me that when talking to others, when they are struggling, he will ask them to listen to him about ‘practice’. He then gives them some common sense ways of dealing with their inner struggles. Very simple ‘practices’, which can have powerful long-term effects on one’s life.

When he said the word ‘Practice’ it got my attention. I then realized that I ‘practice’ every day. I have ways of dealing with my inner life that keep me grounded, and when things get rough, or my inner ocean is having high waves, doing ‘practice’, keeps my head afloat, and gets me through. It is a disciplined way to direct one’s thoughts, or to open one’s heart, and to embrace what is simply ‘now’, and to allow the experience to pass without the need for repression, or, to flee the inner discomfort towards something that will only, in the long run, make things worse.

Lectio Divina (spiritual reading), prayer, and quiet, silent, mediation, are part of my practice. As well as trying to be in God’s presence, or, in the moment, which for me is the same thing. Our brain (well mine does) loves to create thoughts that are too put it mildly, ‘crazy’. Of course, I am sharing something about my own inner life. Crazy thoughts produce emotions, yet when one prays, or meditates, the lesson is learned that ‘who’ is praying, ‘who’ is meditating’, or ‘who’ is watching, is not under the control of fleeting inner situations. Stepping back and observing, is one of the fruits of spiritual practice. It gives a place/space for grace to act upon the soul. It allows the soul to breathe.

‘Practice’ is not about being successful, but about simply doing, or being, without regard to keeping some kind of score. To simply ‘show up’, is a big step forward, even if it is felt that it is a waste of time. To be silent, or to do Lectio, or to spend time in prayer, is about letting go of self-concern, and understanding that there is much more going on in our lives, that we can see or comprehend. All religious traditions, have ‘practices’ that can bring their followers to a deep place of peace, and a love of God, and others, that is enduring no matter the trails of life, or, of one’s own inner mental, and emotional, state. It is about simply breathing calmly, being rooted in the moment, just dealing with what is front of us, one step at a time. However, the christian faith has the revelation of the Infinite Love that is shown in Jesus Christ. It is called 'Agape Love', not found in any other religion. It is about growing in complete trust in the love of the Father as shown through the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ. When speaking with people of other traditions I share this with them. Some respond in a very positive manner when they hear this. Some have over time, given their lives to Christ Jesus.

Mental health is something that is not a given. There are types of mental dysfunction that are so common that they are considered normal. When faithful to ones ‘practice’, clarity slowly develops, and life can run at a different speed, and end up in a different place. Many people (not all by any means), who are on medication, would not have to be if they would take the time to not fear their inner selves, to understand that the inner chaos, can be looked at without being sucked in. I need to add this… for some medication, is what allows them to learn 'practices' that will help them grow. No one should stop a psychotropic without working with their doctor.

We are not our thoughts, our emotions, or our fears. We are what is aware of all of the above. Our painful emotions cause us to ‘restrict’, and it brings out our worse selves. Love, hope, and openness, to what life brings us, is not always easy to acquire, but the process of seeking, allows those on that path to take deeper root into reality.

It is what Jesus said about having a sure foundation. When the storms come, it holds true, we stand securely. Even with failure, there is still something to get back into, like the old saying goes: “Get back on the horse when you are thrown”.

Light is deeper buoying us up

Hell on earth can be experienced,
sometimes all one can do is breathe,
be in the moment and face the demon,
in faith, knowing that in the darkness,
light is deeper, still buoying us up,
stand on the rock, the sure foundation,
all things pass, yet love is eternal,
giving hope in times of deep pain and insecurity. --BrMD

• Informative
Reactions: JCFantasy23