✟172,170.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Walking%2Bin%2Bthe%2BSnow%2Band%2Bthe%2BSaint%2BBernard%2BPrayer%2B1.jpg

There’s a lot of things we can’t control in life, like the weather. It’s been frigid cold recently and there’s snow on the ground. But my dog Sadie is still eager to take me on a walk each morning. I walked with her in some of our favorite fields this morning. We only walked about half as far in the fields as we normally do, but I felt twice as tired and sore when we got home. Walking in the snow is hard work.

Just like we can’t control the weather, we don’t get to pick what kind of family we grow up in. We can’t control many things in our lives. For some people, at least some of the time, life is like taking a walk on a cool, bright autumn morning. You can walk a long way and it’s not that hard or tiring. For others life is often like taking a walk in deep snow on a frigid morning. Even a short walk is tiring and difficult.

If You’re Blessed with Supportive Circumstances

First, I have a word of Biblical advice if you’re blessed with relatively good circumstances now. Good circumstances include things like a supportive family, a stable and comfortable economic situation, and good health. If you have these things, thank God for them. Also remember, “Much will be required of everyone who has been given much” (Luke 12:48 CSB). God will likely ask you to do hard things for His Kingdom. With His help, I pray you will answer His call.

Also, be careful not to judge others. They may only walk a mile where you walked three, but they might be walking in the snow.

If You’re Faced with Difficult Circumstances

Don’t be discouraged. But also don’t give up. God may not expect you to be able to do everything that someone in better circumstances (more supportive family, better finances, better health) can do. But He does expect you do to what you can do with His help. It is tempting to focus on what you can’t do. Instead, focus on what you can. And guard yourself from coveting and judging those who seem to have more. Their lives might not be as easy as you think.

The Saint Bernard Prayer

Walking%2Bin%2Bthe%2BSnow%2Band%2Bthe%2BSaint%2BBernard%2BPrayer%2B2.jpg

My dog is not bothered by walking in winter weather. She thrives in it. And some dogs are famous for not only being able to endure winter weather well themselves, but for being able to help rescue people caught in blizzards and avalanches. Thinking about this inspired this prayer:

Lord, I pray for those who are in difficult life circumstances. Please make them the spiritual equivalent of Saint Bernards in winter. Keep them warm with Your love and comfort. Strengthen them to fearlessly face the blizzards and avalanches of life. Work in and through them so that they not only survive winter storms themselves, but are used by You to help rescue others. In Jesus Name. Amen.

This was originally a post on my blog.

• Winner
Reactions: Winken