Feb 6, 2002
✟56,948.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
What is the Orthodox understanding of spiritual gifts which the Apostle Paul speaks of in 1 Corinthians 12?

Are we naturally born with specific talents, such as someone born with athletic or intellectual abilities? Are we given certain gifts by God when we are baptized and chrismated into the Church? Do the gifts we are given individually change over time according to the needs of the Church or do the remain the same for our life?

Lastly, how do we discern our own spiritual gifts? Do we discern them or does the Church - either through the parish priest or bishop - discern them in us? It would seem knowing one's gifts would allow us to better serve our local parishes and the Church in general.

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
What is the Orthodox understanding of spiritual gifts which the Apostle Paul speaks of in 1 Corinthians 12?

Are we naturally born with specific talents, such as someone born with athletic or intellectual abilities? Are we given certain gifts by God when we are baptized and chrismated into the Church? Do the gifts we are given individually change over time according to the needs of the Church or do the remain the same for our life?

Lastly, how do we discern our own spiritual gifts? Do we discern them or does the Church - either through the parish priest or bishop - discern them in us? It would seem knowing one's gifts would allow us to better serve our local parishes and the Church in general.
Spiritual gifts are for the whole body of Christ and the Holy Spirit manifests them as He sees fit. To be used in a spiritual gift one must be developed into the person Christ wants us to be. Being who we are in Christ is much more important to God than what we do. When we become who we should be in Christ then the gifts will flow freely as the Spirit directs for the building up of the body of Christ. Part of that development is the perfecting of love for the body of Christ than for any personal ambition or desire to operate in the gifts. Wanting to be a gifted person as the priority shows immaturity in love and the person has not yet grown in Christ for the Holy Spirit to use him in the gifts.

Upvote 0

Ioustinos

Veteran
Feb 6, 2002
✟56,948.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Spiritual gifts are for the whole body of Christ and the Holy Spirit manifests them as He sees fit. To be used in a spiritual gift one must be developed into the person Christ wants us to be. Being who we are in Christ is much more important to God than what we do. When we become who we should be in Christ then the gifts will flow freely as the Spirit directs for the building up of the body of Christ. Part of that development is the perfecting of love for the body of Christ than for any personal ambition or desire to operate in the gifts. Wanting to be a gifted person as the priority shows immaturity in love and the person has not yet grown in Christ for the Holy Spirit to use him in the gifts.

Oscarr thanks for the reply, but I am looking for responses from Orthodox Christians. Thanks!

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think the gifts are whatever we are given by God for the build up of His Church. so it could be a natural gift (like music) or a supernatural gift (like clairvoyance). we discern them by prayer and talking to others, especially our priest.

Reactions: FenderTL5
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think the gifts are whatever we are given by God for the build up of His Church. so it could be a natural gift (like music) or a supernatural gift (like clairvoyance). we discern them by prayer and talking to others, especially our priest.
And just a comment - it is unfortunate how words have developed and gotten their connotations. "Clairvoyance" is likely to be understood by your average non-Orthodox person as something like the kind of ESP associated with new-age stuff or demonically related. I like the places that also explain it as "clear sight" and essentially it is the same as some more charismatic Christians would understand as a prophetic gift - but the connection to prophecy is probably best avoided as well so that it doesn't bring to mind exactly the same understanding some may have.

I'm not criticizing you, Matt. :) But just commenting for the sake of lurkers that words can confuse!

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
And just a comment - it is unfortunate how words have developed and gotten their connotations. "Clairvoyance" is likely to be understood by your average non-Orthodox person as something like the kind of ESP associated with new-age stuff or demonically related. I like the places that also explain it as "clear sight" and essentially it is the same as some more charismatic Christians would understand as a prophetic gift - but the connection to prophecy is probably best avoided as well so that it doesn't bring to mind exactly the same understanding some may have.

I'm not criticizing you, Matt. :) But just commenting for the sake of lurkers that words can confuse!

it's all good. spiritual insight or vision, or the grace to see the heart are other ways it has been said.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
it's all good. spiritual insight or vision, or the grace to see the heart are other ways it has been said.
I like all of those.

It's pretty awesome, really, reading about the gifts sometimes displayed through some people.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Oscarr thanks for the reply, but I am looking for responses from Orthodox Christians. Thanks!
I would say the ones who really know Christ on a personal level will give you the same answer.

Upvote 0