Spiritual Gifts Poll

Have your Spiritual Gifts ever operated in a way similar to synesthesia.

• Yes, a lot.

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Yes, occasionally

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, rarely

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have an applicable spiritual gift and it is not similar at all.

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

Sanoy

Apr 27, 2017
America
✟118,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Before voting please take a brief moment to familiarize yourself with Synesthesia. Be sure to understand that there are TWO types, projective (visual) and associative (non visual). Essentially, synesthesia is when senses that are unrelated to an event or stimuli contribute to the cognitive awareness of that event or stimuli. There are over 80 different types of synesthesia and not all types are even known

Synesthesia is a natural occurrence and is not, in itself, the product of the Holy Spirit. However the model of cognitive awareness may be the same. Under synethesia a collaboration of senses results in a greater dimension of cognitive awareness than one would have without it. For example a 3d movie is one where you can see depth. A 4d movie is one with touch, so of it's a movie about a tornado the theater will have jets blowing.

General synesthesia does not give one a greater grasp of truth than one without it. One might realize something faster, but they won't realize anything a normal person won't also realize in time. However when it comes to the Holy Spirit one does grasp at a truth otherwise unrealisable. So the poll is asking whether or not you have acquired such information, through the Holy Spirit, in a cognitive realization similar to synesthesia.

Last edited:

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Before voting please take a brief moment to familiarize yourself with Synesthesia. Be sure to understand that there are TWO types, projective (visual) and associative (non visual). Essentially, synesthesia is when senses that are unrelated to an event or stimuli contribute to the cognitive awareness of that event or stimuli. There are over 80 different types of synesthesia and not all types are even known

Synesthesia is a natural occurrence and is not, in itself, the product of the Holy Spirit. However the model of cognitive awareness may be the same. Under synethesia a collaboration of senses results in a greater dimension of cognitive awareness than one would have without it. For example a 3d movie is one where you can see depth. A 4d movie is one with touch, so of it's a movie about a tornado the theater will have jets blowing.

General synesthesia does not give one a greater grasp of truth than one without it. One might realize something faster, but they won't realize anything a normal person won't also realize in time. However when it comes to the Holy Spirit one does grasp at a truth otherwise unrealisable. So the poll is asking whether or not you have acquired such information, through the Holy Spirit, in a cognitive realization similar to synesthesia.

...honestly, I don't know for sure. There are perhaps some limited insights I've gained over time from something like this possible phenomenon you're citing, but whether what I've come to 'see' has come from a confluence of my ongoing experiences or through some revealing by the Holy Spirit, I can't say. :cool: Maybe it's depends on the brand of sun-glasses one has?

Reactions: Sanoy
Upvote 0

Sanoy

Apr 27, 2017
America
✟118,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hm, I'm not understanding the explanation well. Looked at the link but which spiritual gifts would this affect?
It would be any gift related to perceiving something. So for example there is a "mirror synesthesia" where if you see someone get tapped on the shoulder then you will also feel a tap. For those, who through the Holy Spirit, get a sense of something bothering another person, I am wondering if they might come to that knowledge through their senses. So maybe they feel the same feeling as the saddened person, as if they are that person.

Anyone that would say that they perceived something like that would say that they "sensed it". But in what manner did they sense it? Was it through a common sense, or a unique and special sense.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sanoy

Apr 27, 2017
America
✟118,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
...honestly, I don't know for sure. There are perhaps some limited insights I've gained over time from something like this possible phenomenon you're citing, but whether what I've come to 'see' has come from a confluence of my ongoing experiences or through some revealing by the Holy Spirit, I can't say. :cool: Maybe it's depends on the brand of sun-glasses one has?
It may be both. Because we experience supernatural things God must have also given us a mechanism to experience things that our natural senses cannot. It may be that the Holy Spirit communicates through a mechanism like synesthesia.

To an extent we all have synesthesia, I think it's how we perceive color from frequencies of light, and perceive feelings from dialogue. It's hard to strip our thoughts from what is physically experienced, what is perceived, and what is deduced to determine if the Holy Spirit was a part of it for a lot of things.

• Agree
Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It may be both. Because we experience supernatural things God must have also given us a mechanism to experience things that our natural senses cannot. It may be that the Holy Spirit communicates through a mechanism like synesthesia.

To an extent we all have synesthesia, I think it's how we perceive color from frequencies of light, and perceive feelings from dialogue. It's hard to strip our thoughts from what is physically experienced, what is perceived, and what is deduced to determine if the Holy Spirit was a part of it for a lot of things.

You may very well be right on this ... but it's just hard for me to say yes or no definitively on this kind of thing since my run-ins with those fellow Christians who claim 'charismata' [and so forth] haven't always been the most............oh, how do I say this? ... the most amenable to bilateral discussion.

It is worth looking into, pondering over, and praying about, I think. For sure, Sanoy!

• Agree
Reactions: Sanoy
Upvote 0

Reborn1977

Devoted to Jesus - Less of me MORE of HIM
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
✟59,283.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
May I ask the purpose of your question and what sparked your interest in synesthesia as it might relate to Spiritual Gifts?

I once experienced the physical presence of God over me like a blanket being lowered on me, when I was in a time where I needed His comfort and assurance I was going to live. My experience was not really tied to spiritual gifts but instead tied to my relationship with Christ.

Upvote 0