Feb 23, 2004
✟378,031.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
For Christians who fast, how do you fast in a manner that is spiritually productive?

I have tried to fast before, and I have kept the "external" components to it - not eating for 24 hours, not playing games for X amount of weeks, not doing Facebook for X amount of weeks, etc. But I have not experienced any kind of spiritual benefit from doing so. I went into it intentionally, to see what God had for me, but there really wasn't anything that the fasting enhanced as far as I could tell. For the not eating, I was hungrier, but not more spiritual. If I was giving up games, there was always CF and Youtube to fill the time. If I was giving up Facebook, there was always games, and CF and Youtube to fill the time. If I were to give up computer time, I remember back when I was living in a house that had no computer and how I would sit around and my mind would go to ungodly places (plus, it's totally impractical now since my work is still remote and I also have my smartphone which I also need for work). If it's fasting from a sin, well, that's not special since I'm not supposed to sin anyway.

Basically, I can hold off from an activity for a few days or even weeks, but there's always another distraction and I don't focus any more or less spiritually than when I'm not fasting. So I don't really see the point in fasting, though I do want to become closer to God and I would fast if I knew it would be spiritually good for me.

So, for those of you who fast, how do you make it spiritually good for you? Whether in the context of Lent, or otherwise? If you used to be where I am at and transitioned into a spiritual faster, how did that happen in your life?

If you come from a non-fasting background and you want to post about why that is better, I do not want your opinion, and I do not want you to debate in here. Seriously, I came from a non-fasting background myself and I know the position. There is no nuance of that position that is relevant to what I am asking, and there is no need to "save" me or anyone from trying to practice Lent in a God-honoring, non-hypocritical way. If you feel the need to post an anti-fasting position, start another thread for that, or post in another thread for that. Leave the challenging questions for the OP (me) who is seeking to learn.

Reactions: SkyWriting

Tolworth John

Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,589.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
For Christians who fast, how do you fast in a manner that is spiritually productive?

Fasting is giving up something so one can concentrate more on God.

Just not eating for 24 hours or not playing computer games in ones spare time is pointless.

To benefit one is doing less of some thing in order to do more bible reading and prayer, or to spend more time in some other service for God.

• Informative
Reactions: Cute Peonies
Upvote 0

Victor E.

Disciple of Christ
Supporter
Aug 3, 2016
U.S
✟201,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I have tried to fast before, and I have kept the "external" components to it - not eating for 24 hours, not playing games for X amount of weeks, not doing Facebook for X amount of weeks, etc. But I have not experienced any kind of spiritual benefit from doing so. I went into it intentionally, to see what God had for me, but there really wasn't anything that the fasting enhanced as far as I could tell. For the not eating, I was hungrier, but not more spiritual. If I was giving up games, there was always CF and Youtube to fill the time. If I was giving up Facebook, there was always games, and CF and Youtube to fill the time. If I were to give up computer time, I remember back when I was living in a house that had no computer and how I would sit around and my mind would go to ungodly places (plus, it's totally impractical now since my work is still remote and I also have my smartphone which I also need for work). If it's fasting from a sin, well, that's not special since I'm not supposed to sin anyway.

Basically, I can hold off from an activity for a few days or even weeks, but there's always another distraction and I don't focus any more or less spiritually than when I'm not fasting. So I don't really see the point in fasting, though I do want to become closer to God and I would fast if I knew it would be spiritually good for me.

So, for those of you who fast, how do you make it spiritually good for you? Whether in the context of Lent, or otherwise? If you used to be where I am at and transitioned into a spiritual faster, how did that happen in your life?

If you come from a non-fasting background and you want to post about why that is better, I do not want your opinion, and I do not want you to debate in here. Seriously, I came from a non-fasting background myself and I know the position. There is no nuance of that position that is relevant to what I am asking, and there is no need to "save" me or anyone from trying to practice Lent in a God-honoring, non-hypocritical way. If you feel the need to post an anti-fasting position, start another thread for that, or post in another thread for that. Leave the challenging questions for the OP (me) who is seeking to learn.

When you fast you're merely starving unbelief.

Fasting clears the mind, sharpens the senses, and makes it easier to tune in to the spiritual realm.

Fasting 1 day is just skipping a meal.. for me I start really feeling the benefit after 3-4 days of no food and only water.

I become incredibly aware of my surroundings, it's really neat.

In this time if I pray or read the Bible it's very refreshing and I glean a lot.

Even medical science could prove the benefits of fasting for just the body alone.. but it's especially beneficial for the soul and spirit.

I believe every person should approach it differently.. for example if someone is working a manually intensive job it may not be the best time to fast.

Personally I do intermediate fasting (eat 1 or 2 light meals per day) when I'm at work since I burn a lot of calories.

However on the weekend or when I have time off.. this is the time to go no food at all.

I know some full time ministers speak of fasting 10-20+ days.. but they don't work 40+ hours a week burning upwards of 3,000 calories per day with physical work.

I would advise consulting a doctor before trying to fast while working because our body needs certain vitamins and nutrients.. especially if it has blood sugar issues or other specific needs.

Personally, I would love to fast more if I had the time but I have other duties being recently married.. it definitely takes commitment but I guarantee that the spiritual benefits are there.

The spiritual benefits are more pronounced when actively ministering or if one leads a powerful and consistent prayer life.

Little testimony, I accidentally discovered the real power of fasting when I was younger.. I had just moved out and was living paycheck to paycheck..

So I was fasting involuntarily because I was poor and couldn't afford food every day at this time..

This is when I received very powerful visions, heard God's voice speak to me in a dream, and was baptized in fire/speaking in tongues etc.

It was completely a coincidence that I was in a multiple day fast .. but due to this experience it made me a real avid believer in the power of fasting.

Fast forward 7-8 years and I'm astonished at myself.. my indifference to fasting before, I was unaware of what I was missing out.

My 2 cents.. hope this helps friend.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Cute Peonies
Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,528.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

Though I fast here and there for varying lengths of time, fasting is not a vital staple of my walk with God. I fast to honor God, to put Him first - especially before temporal/fleshly things that I think are encroaching on my fellowship with Him, or distracting me from spiritually-minded living, but never to extract a particular spiritual benefit from God. Fasting helps put feet to what I claim are my priorities, providing a focused opportunity for me to act upon what I say are the things I value, where I concretely put certain things above and before other things, forsaking for a time - or permanently - the lesser things of the flesh in favor of the greater, spiritual things of God.

Really, though, fasting folds into the process of sanctification God is working out in my life, bolstering it in an occasional way, but not serving as a mainstay of my sanctification, my being set apart unto God in my living. Far more crucial to being more and more set apart unto God is my constant submission to Him and maintaining a general, daily spirit-mindedness, by faith walking consistently in the truth of who I am in Christ, as the apostle Paul instructed believers to do (Romans 8:1-14; Romans 6; 2 Corinthians 5:17; 2 Corinthians 5:7).

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Joined2krist
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟933,652.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I view fasting as a form of spiritual attunement and warfare. I’ve fasted for specific reasons, with the congregation, and on regular intervals. There’s always a predefined focus. Something I desire to acquire, relinquish, or manifest.

In most instances the Holy Spirit instructs me to fast. We commune beforehand for clarity and preparation. Depending on the situation, I pray in periods or on the hour.

Spiritual alignment is the goal. The lessening that makes me more like Him. That means embracing the possibility of release and welcoming the results.

We have heartfelt dialogues about my thoughts, heart, focus, and behavior. Nothing is off-limits or given a pass. I want to know God’s perspective and how to adopt His viewpoint.

I’ve had incredible breakthroughs. Some I’ve shared in the community. Healing, deliverance, restoration, and so on. Some of my greatest blessings came through fasting.

Withdrawal is an important component of spiritual hearing. I can’t be plugged into everything and on His frequency. As the days darken I deepen my immersion.

Reactions: Joined2krist
Upvote 0