Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Yeah, it seems like a trick thread or something, cause I receive joy thru serving the Lord, but I read the purpose of the Spirit-Filled/Charismatic forum and saw that we're not supposed to promote works :(
I assure you it is not a "trick thread" :), I just desire for there to be some conversation in this forum.

Joy does come through serving but I think it depends on the reason we are serving. Are we serving out of our love for God or are we serving because we think that the "works" will save us? Works are a byproduct of our salvation, not a reason for it. Jmes 2:18 he writes " But someone will say, "You have faith; I have deeds." Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by my deeds". It is impossible for someone who truely loves and serves God to not have works.

Anyone, even a nonbeliever can feel joy when they do good things, but is that the same as the "Joy of the Lord"? I think it's different.

Upvote 0

devin553344

I believe in the Resurrection
Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I assure you it is not a "trick thread" :), I just desire for there to be some conversation in this forum.

Joy does come through serving but I think it depends on the reason we are serving. Are we serving out of our love for God or are we serving because we think that the "works" will save us? Works are a byproduct of our salvation, not a reason for it. Jmes 2:18 he writes " But someone will say, "You have faith; I have deeds." Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by my deeds". It is impossible for someone who truely loves and serves God to not have works.

Anyone, even a nonbeliever can feel joy when they do good things, but is that the same as the "Joy of the Lord"? I think it's different.

Thanks for clarifying that :) I wonder if the joy is different or if the reward is different from God. Sometimes I don't feel joy if my heart is in the wrong place though. That's for sure. There's been times when I was like, oops I think I should have had the right intent then I would have felt the Lord, but I missed out.

Sometimes I have to help people but I don't want to then I feel no joy usually.

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Heavy lean toward Messianic
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Thanks for clarifying that :) I wonder if the joy is different or if the reward is different from God. Sometimes I don't feel joy if my heart is in the wrong place though. That's for sure. There's been times when I was like, oops I think I should have had the right intent then I would have felt the Lord, but I missed out.

Sometimes I have to help people but I don't want to then I feel no joy usually.
There is certainly nothing wrong with "oops" moments. They are part of the growing in the Lord process. When I help someone but I'm misrable in the process God shows me my heart so that I can repent and ask Him to put compassion in my heart. Understand though, that in asking Him to do that He usually teaches us through personal experience of someone not showing us compassion. That's been my experience anyway. :)

Upvote 0

devin553344

Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
There is certainly nothing wrong with "oops" moments. They are part of the growing in the Lord process. When I help someone but I'm misrable in the process God shows me my heart so that I can repent and ask Him to put compassion in my heart. Understand though, that in asking Him to do that He usually teaches us through personal experience of someone not showing us compassion. That's been my experience anyway. :)

The Lord often humbles me. So I think I understand what you're saying: Hebrews 12:6. I'm not sure I feel loved when he does it though, perhaps a human flaw of mine.

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
The Lord often humbles me. So I think I understand what you're saying: Hebrews 12:6. I'm not sure I feel loved when he does it though, perhaps a human flaw of mine.

He does it because He loves you. We can never trust our feelings. Negative feelings are generally, in my opinion, generated by our enemy and it's a ploy to get our attention off of God and on to ourself. Ignore the inclination and give praise to God that He loves you enough to correct you.
  • Rom 8:1 "There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit".
When we hear His correction, we can be assured that we are not walking in the flesh.

Upvote 0

devin553344

Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
He does it because He loves you. We can never trust our feelings. Negative feelings are generally, in my opinion, generated by our enemy and it's a ploy to get our attention off of God and on to ourself. Ignore the inclination and give praise to God that He loves you enough to correct you.
  • Rom 8:1 "There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit".
When we hear His correction, we can be assured that we are not walking in the flesh.

Thanks, that's nice. I love God now, and I haven't always been that way. But lately I've been aware of it.

It's not easy to love some people that bring us the Joy of God. Is there an easier way to love the less lovable? Luke 6:32 I have one person that I help out and he is really difficult to love. He attends churches but is really a bad Christian. He's got some mental disability and is offensive a lot.

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Thanks, that's nice. I love God now, and I haven't always been that way. But lately I've been aware of it.

It's not easy to love some people that bring us the Joy of God. Is there an easier way to love the less lovable? Luke 6:32 I have one person that I help out and he is really difficult to love. He attends churches but is really a bad Christian. He's got some mental disability and is offensive a lot.
I wrestle with that too. The only way I know to love people more is to spend more time with God. It's Him in us that brings His love for us to give.

• Agree
Reactions: devin553344
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Some of the message delivered to the Assembly, in Corinthians, was correction,
BECAUSE they were carnal, in the flesh, needing the pure "milk" of the WORD.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums