United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
"Spirit of Christ"...What is it?

...God the Son, Son of God, Son of Man, Jesus the Divine Messiah, the Christ, etc.

Romans 8:2...For the law of the Spirit of life IN Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and of death.

Romans 8:9b...But if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Him.

1 Peter 1:11...seeking to know what person or time the Spirit of Christ within them was indicating as He predicted the sufferings of Christ and the glories to follow.

Philippians 1:19...for I know that this will turn out for my deliverance through your prayers
and the provision of the Spirit of Jesus Christ,

Is the "Spirit of Christ" simply the manifestation of Jesus in the Godhead?

• Winner
Reactions: Winken

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate

...God the Son, Son of God, Son of Man, Jesus the Divine Messiah, the Christ, etc.

Romans 8:2...For the law of the Spirit of life IN Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and of death.

Romans 8:9b...But if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Him.

1 Peter 1:11...seeking to know what person or time the Spirit of Christ within them was indicating as He predicted the sufferings of Christ and the glories to follow.

Philippians 1:19...for I know that this will turn out for my deliverance through your prayers

The Spirit of Christ would be Jesus Christ, God in flesh.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
No.
At least calling Yahshua, Yahweh's Salvation, Messiah Savior Creator Healer Comforter
a "manifestation" anywhere does not seem appropriate.
Maybe just the word...... does not seem appropriate.

YHVH and Yahshua are Echad. (eternally, forever before time even, forever after time, and TODAY, as Yahshua prayed we (disciples, ekklesia) all be Echad with them (John 17) etc etc etc )

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,403,914.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

I am sorry but referring to the Spirit of Christ/ The Holy Spirit as IT makes me think you do not know Him.He is the third person of the Godhead. He abides with us and in us. He teaches us and He leads and guides us. He brings all things back to our remembrance. He seals us to the day of redemption.He sticks closer than a brother. You should get to know Him.

Upvote 0

GraceBro

Eternally Forgiven, Alive, and Secure.
Dec 24, 2017
Central Coast
Visit site
✟103,074.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

The Spirit of Christ is the Holy Spirit; the life of God. It is what makes us born again when we accept Jesus as our savior; the life of God lost in Adam is restored in Christ.

Upvote 0

Haipule

Jun 20, 2017
Honokawai, Maui HI
✟32,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Aloha Ron:

We have spoken before. You make a lot of good points. However, the "Spirit" is a pampered sacred cow!

I am recently off of a three months suspension because of this subject which, because of the Nicene Creed, I am deemed a heretic and a blasphemer.

Yet, risking permanent banishment from these threads, I will attempt to help.

Now please CF, can I state my case? I am a Christian. I am not a Nicene theologian! This is a forum: can I please speak to Ron without the threats?

The end of the Nicene Creed states, "We believe in the Holy Spirit": blanketly. However, it does not qualify that statement.

"spirit" is from the Latin: spiritus, which means "breath". Jerome, when he translated the autographed languages into the Latin Vulgate bible translated both the Hebrew "ruwack" and the Greek "pneuma", which both mean breath, by the Latin word "spiritus", he did so correctly.

However, into English, we instead, transliterate the Latin 'spiritus' into "spirit". The reason we do this is beyond me! Yet, the power belongs to the clergy. You know, they have a "spiritual gift" and cannot possibly lie right?

Yet, all claim the same "spirit of truth" and call each other liars!

Yet, I can see that the Word of God unites us as one yet, the theology of man divides us--infinitely!

As for me, they say that these things are only "spiritually" discerned and that "I am far too fleshly" to understand. How convenient!

pneuma absolutely means "breath". Yet figuratively refers to a breath of intellect from a exterior source. This is used in God's Word in opposition to natural psuchE-breath(breathing: psuchO) which figuratively refers to natural instinctive intellect translated for you as "soul".

When the bible says that your cat has a psuchE(soul) but does not have a pneuma(spirit) is merely stating that your cat as natural instinctive intellect(psuchE) but it cannot read a book(process pneuma info)! I'm not going over your head am I? :)

However, if your cat can read a book and write you a book report then, I am a liar! :)

Lets continue; the "Spirit if Christ" refers to the external information that we are given in God's Word according to what it means to be anointed. christos is an adjective that means: anointed. To be "anointed" is to understand that we have been given a God given purpose and a destiny in this life of God's promise.

Like King David anointed with the destiny and purpose to be the next King of Israel. No wonder he had so much confidence to face lions, bears, giants and Philistines! Since we are anointed with a purpose and a destiny: shouldn't we have that same courage?

However, the translators insistence that christos should always be transliterated, and NOT translated, as "Christ" with a capital "C" has masked this most important teaching. Like John said, "The anointing with you-all know": sorry Johnny-Boy but, the clergy is stupidly hiding this from us! This MUST stop!

Are we all here to be trust-worthy sons of the living God kicking some butt? Or did God place us here to get our butts kicked as lame dysfunctional "believers"?

The "Spirit of Jesus/Lord" is that pneuma-breath information which He breathes into us for our edification unto His promised zOE(ABUNDANT)-life:

Side by Side: [It is] the Spirit(pneuma-breath, neuter) [it-is] who gives(it--one-keeps-on-making) life(live); the flesh profits nothing; the words(rhEma, spoken-words-effect, neuter) that I(Jesus) have spoken(talked) to you(-all) [are] [ ]spirit(pneuma-breath, neuter) [it(rhEma)-is] and(-also) [are] [ ]life [it(rhEma)-is]. John 6:63 NASB

So then the words that Jesus spoke are pneuma--useful information, and Life.

I'll tell you something else, and this is funny:

David himself said in the Holy Spirit(in thee breath, namely--the pure-one, the God-breathed pure Scripture as Mark is about to quote David in the Older Testament--covenants Scripture, Psalm 110:1 i.e., David himself said in the Bible:)

‘THE LORD SAID TO MY LORD,
“SIT AT MY RIGHT HAND,
UNTIL I PUT YOUR ENEMIES BENEATH YOUR FEET.”’ Mark 12:36 NASB

Sorry, was that too simple? Or does someone want to talk to me again about the “endowment”, “enduement”,* “induement” of the “Holy Spirit” to the OT saints--ridiculous?

So, the entire bible is the real "Holy Spirit" we are to be "filled with" according to Ephesians 5:18(breath in) so that we have something to breath out(Ephesians 5:19) to others.

The word translated as "Holy" is hagion(neuter: the "Holy Spirit" is always neuter as the word for something written--gramma--is neuter), hagios(masculine). hagion, hagios mean: pure, undefiled, unpolluted. And if we add the imported meaning of qadash(OT translated as "holy") it is also special, unique, separating a class from a class.

Unfortunately, they decided that hagios should be translated for you as "saint"--WHATEVER! So we are not informed that we are also a pneuma hagion(neuter: both male and female). So rather, Sapphira and Ananias somehow lied to a "Holy Spirit" and not the congregation with Peter. And somehow Paul warned against causing grievances(sorrows) to the "Holy Spirit" rather then grief and trouble amongst ourselves.

Thanks again Ron! If you have any more questions I will be glad to answer them but my responses are not timely as my time is limited.

Reactions: GUANO
Upvote 0

Ron Gurley

What U See is What U Get!
Site Supporter
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The "Spirit of Christ" is NOT God the Holy Spirit, the third Person of the Godhead.

God the Holy Spirit is a discernibly separate spiritual Person!

ORTHODOX DOCTRINES:

1) The third spiritual PERSON of the TRI-UNE God,
God the Holy Spirit,...along with spiritual PERSONS of the God the Father and God the Son (Jesus the Christ)
a) Sometimes referred to in a way which emphasises His PERSONALITY and character (the "Holy" Spirit)
b) Sometimes referred to in a way which emphasises His work and power (the Spirit of "Truth")
c) never referred to as a de-PERSONalized force!
d) many PERSONALIZED names: Helper, Comforter, Counselor, Advocate, the "paraclete"

"Holy" AND "Spirit"
occurs in 101 verses in the NASB, including 92 exact phrases....all but 3 in the NT

"Holy" = Greek 2282 = hagios = 1) most holy thing / person

"Spirit" = Greek 4151 = pneuma =
1) the third spiritual Person of the TRI-UNE God, God the Holy Spirit,...along with the God the Father and God the the Son
a) sometimes referred to in a way which emphasises his personality and character (the "Holy" Spirit)
b) sometimes referred to in a way which emphasises his work and power (the Spirit of "Truth")
c) never referred to as a depersonalised force

2) the spirit, i.e. the vital principal by which the body is animated
a) the rational spirit, the power by which the human being feels, thinks, decides
b) the soul

3) a spirit, i.e. a simple essence, devoid of all or at least all grosser matter,
and possessed of the power of knowing, desiring, deciding, and acting
a) a life giving spirit
b) a human soul that has left the body
c) a spirit higher than man but lower than God, i.e. an angel
1) used of demons, or evil spirits, who were conceived as inhabiting the bodies of men
2) the spiritual nature of Christ, higher than the highest angels and equal to God, the divine nature of Christ

4) the disposition or influence which fills and governs the soul of believers
a) the efficient source of any power, affection, emotion, desire, etc.

5) a movement of air (a gentle blast)
a) of the wind, hence the wind itself
b) breath of nostrils or mouth

Scripture supporting God the Holy Spirit as a separate Divine Person..

John 14:16-17 ...the "paraclete"
I (God the Son) will ask the Father,
and He will give you another Helper, (God the Holy Spirit) that He may be with you FOREVER;
that is the Spirit of Truth,
whom the world cannot receive, because it does not see Him or know Him,
but you know Him because He ABIDES WITH you and will be IN you. (at Pentecost)

John 15:26
“When the Helper comes, whom I will send to you from the Father, that is the Spirit of Truth who proceeds from the Father, He will testify about Me,

John 16:13
But when He, the Spirit of Truth, comes,
He will guide you into all the truth;
for He will not speak on His own initiative, but whatever He hears, He will speak;
and He will disclose to you what is to come.

John 14:26 (NASB)...perfect spiritual recall
But the Helper, (God) the Holy Spirit,
whom (God) the Father will send in My name, (God the Son)
He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said (and DID!) to you.

Ephesians 1:13
In Him, you also, after listening to the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation—
having also believed, you were SEALED in Him with (God) the Holy Spirit of promise,

2 Thessalonians 2:13
God (the Father) has chosen you from the beginning for salvation through sanctification by (God) the (Holy) Spirit and faith in the truth.

1 John 5:6
This is the One who came by water and blood, Jesus Christ;
not with the water only, but with the water and with the blood.
It is (God) the (Holy) Spirit who testifies, because the Spirit is the truth.

Galatians 5: 1-25 (NASB)...Paul: Walk by the Spirit
...But I say, WALK by the Spirit, and you will not carry out the desire of the flesh.
...But if you are LED by the Spirit, you are not under the Law.
..If we LIVE (indwelt by) by the Spirit,
let us also WALK by the Spirit....

Romans 8: ...(NASB)...Paul: Deliverance from Bondage of Law and Sin
Therefore there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus...(believers)
...who do not WALK according to the flesh (sin nature)
but ACCORDING to (God) the (Holy) Spirit...(spiritual will of God)
..But if the Spirit of Him (God the Holy Spirit) who raised Jesus from the dead DWELLS in you,...
...For all who are being LED by the (Holy) Spirit of God, these are sons of God.

Ephesians 4:30
Do not GRIEVE the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were SEALED for the day of redemption.

1 Thessalonians 5: 12-19 (NASB) Paul: CONDUCT for Christ-followers...
Do not QUENCH (God) the (Holy) Spirit; ....(who is the indwelling "paraclete" communing with your Spirit)
>>>i.e.....Don't throw a "wet blanket" on the "fire" of your Counselor...<<<

Ephesians 5:18
18 And do not get drunk with wine, for that is dissipation, but be "filled with" (God) the (Holy) Spirit,

filled with ....Greek 4130 : pimplemi / pleo ~=under the influence of

Acts 2:4,13
And they were all FILLED WITH the Holy Spirit...
(under the control of,... i.e. like a drunk is under the control of alchohol)
But others were mocking and saying, “They are full of sweet wine.”

Acts 4:31
And when they had PRAYED, the place where they had gathered together was shaken,
and they were all FILLED WITH (God) the Holy Spirit and began to SPEAK the WORD of GOD with boldness...

Luke 11:13
If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give (God) the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him?”

1 Corinthians 12:13 (NASB) ....The Use of Spiritual Gifts / Unity of the Godhead: spiritual baptism
For by one (God the Holy) Spirit
we (believers) were all baptized INTO one (spiritual) body (of Christ), (salvation!)
whether Jews or Greeks,
whether slaves or free, and
we were all made to drink of one Spirit.

Upvote 0

Haipule

Jun 20, 2017
Honokawai, Maui HI
✟32,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wow! Ron! You didn't actually have a question! Rather, you wanted so say to me again the same stupidity that I've been taught to believe in my whole life!

Sorry Dude! That is unacceptable. And, what was the purpose? To prove to everyone how smart you are? Geez! I am smart enough to avoid loaded questions but, somehow got sucked in! My bad!

I am filled with "The Spirit" of gin and God's Word(pneuma hagion). You however, are full of it(self)!

One question fully loaded:

How can you take pneuma hagion = [the character and nature of]breath pure-being; invent “Spirit”; switch the word order and turn a predicate adjective into an attributive adjective; then add the definite article turning an anarthrous construction into an articular construction; capitalize it(which a hearer cannot see); completely ignore the neuter gender and translate it as “the Holy Spirit” in any sense of academic honesty?

Upvote 0

Lily of Valleys

Jun 30, 2017
Australia
✟68,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If we look at Romans 8:9-11, it would shed some light on what it means by Spirit of Christ:

However, you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. But if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Him.

If Christ is in you, though the body is dead because of sin, yet the spirit is alive because of righteousness.

But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you.
(Romans 8:9-11 NASB)​

In verse 9, it is the "Spirit of God" who dwells in us, which seems to be what "Spirit of Christ" in the same verse is referring to.

Then in verse 10, it seems like the Spirit of God/Spirit of Christ dwells in you is the same as Christ being in you.

In verse 11, we have "Spirit of Him" who raised Jesus from the dead. Who is Him? And who raised Jesus from the dead?

Jesus answered them, “Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.” (John 2:19 NASB)​

"His Spirit" in verse 11 is the spirit of "He" who raised Jesus from the dead.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lily of Valleys

Jun 30, 2017
Australia
✟68,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus also said that the Spirit of truth will be in us:

I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may be with you forever; that is the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it does not see Him or know Him, but you know Him because He abides with you and will be in you. (John 14:16-17 NASB)​

So we now have the Spirit of truth, Spirit of Christ and Spirit of God who dwell in us. So it is either we have many spirits from God in us, or they are all referring to the same Spirit - the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

Ron Gurley

What U See is What U Get!
Site Supporter
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The "Spirit of Christ" is NOT God the Holy Spirit, the third Person of the Godhead.

Luke 1:35
The angel answered and said to her, “(God) The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High (God the Father) will overshadow you; and for that reason the holy Child shall be called the Son of God. (God the Son)

The Holy...Greek 40...hagios...
1.most holy thing (Person)

Spirit...Greek 4151...pneuma

1.the third person of the triune God, (God) the Holy Spirit, coequal, coeternal with (God) the Father and (God) the Son
1.sometimes referred to in a way which emphasises his personality and character (the "Holy" Spirit)
2.sometimes referred to in a way which emphasises his work and power (the Spirit of "Truth")
3.never referred to as a depersonalised force

Upvote 0

Lily of Valleys

Jun 30, 2017
Australia
✟68,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
From Mark 13:11 and Matthew 10:19-20, we know that the Spirit of the Father is the Holy Spirit:

When they arrest you and hand you over, do not worry beforehand about what you are to say, but say whatever is given you in that hour; for it is not you who speak, but it is the Holy Spirit. (Mark 13:11 NASB)

But when they hand you over, do not worry about how or what you are to say; for it will be given you in that hour what you are to say. For it is not you who speak, but it is the Spirit of your Father who speaks in you. (Matthew 10:19-20 NASB)​

And from Romans 10:9, Galatians 1:1 and John 2:19, we know that God, Father and Jesus are all said to have raised Jesus from the dead. Therefore, from Romans 8:11, we know that Spirit of the Father and the Spirit of Christ both raised Jesus from the dead. So it is reasonable to deduce that Father and Christ are the same God, and the Spirit of the Father and the Spirit of Christ are both referring to the same Spirit - the Holy Spirit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Haipule

Jun 20, 2017
Honokawai, Maui HI
✟32,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Or, did you all forget the last will be the first-most and all church fathers are the least. That includes the apostle Paul as the least and you as the most! Oh, and don't even bother yourself with such things if you think the present clergy is worth a damn compared to you 10 yrs from now!

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate

ORTHODOX DOCTRINES:

God the Holy Spirit,...along with spiritual PERSONS of the God the Father and God the Son (Jesus the Christ)
a) Sometimes referred to in a way which emphasises His PERSONALITY and character (the "Holy" Spirit)
b) Sometimes referred to in a way which emphasises His work and power (the Spirit of "Truth")
d) many PERSONALIZED names: Helper, Comforter, Counselor, Advocate, the "paraclete"

"Holy" AND "Spirit"
occurs in 101 verses in the NASB, including 92 exact phrases....all but 3 in the NT

1) the third spiritual Person of the TRI-UNE God, God the Holy Spirit,...along with the God the Father and God the the Son
a) sometimes referred to in a way which emphasises his personality and character (the "Holy" Spirit)
b) sometimes referred to in a way which emphasises his work and power (the Spirit of "Truth")

a) the rational spirit, the power by which the human being feels, thinks, decides
b) the soul

3) a spirit, i.e. a simple essence, devoid of all or at least all grosser matter,
a) a life giving spirit
1) used of demons, or evil spirits, who were conceived as inhabiting the bodies of men
2) the spiritual nature of Christ, higher than the highest angels and equal to God, the divine nature of Christ

and He will give you another Helper, (God the Holy Spirit) that He may be with you FOREVER;

“When the Helper comes, whom I will send to you from the Father, that is the Spirit of Truth who proceeds from the Father, He will testify about Me,

for He will not speak on His own initiative, but whatever He hears, He will speak;

He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said (and DID!) to you.

In Him, you also, after listening to the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation—
having also believed, you were SEALED in Him with (God) the Holy Spirit of promise,

God (the Father) has chosen you from the beginning for salvation through sanctification by (God) the (Holy) Spirit and faith in the truth.

...But I say, WALK by the Spirit, and you will not carry out the desire of the flesh.

Therefore there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus...(believers)
..But if the Spirit of Him (God the Holy Spirit) who raised Jesus from the dead DWELLS in you,...
...For all who are being LED by the (Holy) Spirit of God, these are sons of God.

Do not GRIEVE the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were SEALED for the day of redemption.

Do not QUENCH (God) the (Holy) Spirit; ....(who is the indwelling "paraclete" communing with your Spirit)

18 And do not get drunk with wine, for that is dissipation, but be "filled with" (God) the (Holy) Spirit,

And when they had PRAYED, the place where they had gathered together was shaken,
and they were all FILLED WITH (God) the Holy Spirit and began to SPEAK the WORD of GOD with boldness...

If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give (God) the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him?”

1 Corinthians 12:13 (NASB) ....The Use of Spiritual Gifts / Unity of the Godhead: spiritual baptism
we (believers) were all baptized INTO one (spiritual) body (of Christ), (salvation!)
whether Jews or Greeks,
Another Trinity argument?

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate

ORTHODOX DOCTRINES:

"Holy" AND "Spirit"

b) the soul

a) a life giving spirit

whether Jews or Greeks,

Another Trinity argument?
Okay, I’ll bite. There is one God:

Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD. Deut 6:4 RSV

He employs three personalities:
1. God, the Father, the Creator, the Sustainer.
2. Jesus Christ, the Son, God in flesh.
3. The Holy Spirit: This is God when we he talks to us and listens to us.

Upvote 0

Marvin Knox

Senior Veteran
May 9, 2014
✟84,598.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Not "it" - "He" and He is God.

The Father is God. The Son is God. The Holy Spirit is God.

If you've seen one (or any manifestation of one) you have seen the others (or a manifestation of the others).

If the Holy Spirit is in you - God is in you.

"The Spirit in you" or "Christ in you" or "God in you" - same thing.

God is not finite - i.e. God is not measurable and His attributes are not divisible. Which is why Jesus is said to be the "Everlasting Father", the "Prince of Peace", and the "Wonderful Counselor" - all in the human person of Jesus.

It doesn't matter to God whether you worship the Father, the Son, or the Spirit. There is no jealousy within the Godhead.

Whether you consider the person of Christ, the person of the Holy Spirit, or the person of the Father --- you are considering God and He appreciates the attention.

Upvote 0