Spirit-filled churches, but what spirit?

JonMiller

Senior Veteran
Jun 6, 2007
✟23,331.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I would agree that the attitudes/etc around rock and rap music are not in agreement with those a Christian should have.

Because of this, in general it isn't good to have those types of music during worship service, unless people can be sure it isn't a problem.

That has nothing to do with percussion instruments though.

I am really surprised that people in this forum fail to see the difference between the OT Sanctuary and the a modern chruch. I thought it was more 'traditionally' minded SDAs who were focused on doing Sanctuary studies/etc?

Additionally, I would like to say that rock at least is really catchy and fun to listen to. There is no wonder that people like it. And I think it is good that some musicians try to put a Christian message into rock, most things can have such a message!

JM

Upvote 0

JonMiller

Senior Veteran
Jun 6, 2007
✟23,331.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That has nothing to do with how someone worships. Loving the world and praising God are two different things. This is an example of how the traditions of "men" tend to superceed the word of the God. There are no instructions in the Bible forbidding the use of drums or dancing or telling us that quiet thoughtfulness is the only way to be reverent. However we are now convienced that this is the only way to worship God. I am not talking about disorganized chaos in the sanctuary. I am talking about telling individuals who are led by the Spirit to praise God being told by man that their praise is unexceptable. When that happens who is actually being exhaulted?

I think that many 'traditionally minded' SDAs are really missing praise in their lives. They are missing many things, but that is a hugely improtant thing.

It is like they want the rocks to cry out.

JM

Upvote 0

k4c

Nov 3, 2003
Rhode Island
✟4,820.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You can worship in the way you want to. Unless instructed otherwise.
JM

One of the problems people have is understanding the difference between worship and praise.

Worship is giving God glory for Who He is. God is very specific in how worship is done.

Leviticus 10:1-2 Then Nadab and Abihu, the sons of Aaron, each took his censer and put fire in it, put incense on it, and offered profane fire before the Lord, which He had not commanded them. So fire went out from the Lord and devoured them, and they died before the Lord.

Every living creature should worship God the same way face down in reverence and awe because of who God is in all His majesty as Creator and giver of life. Worship is the same for all.

Praise, on the other hand, is giving God glory for what He has done for us as a people and as individuals. Praise is open for personal expressions because what God has done for me may be different than what God has done for you. I might have been miraculously healed of cancer or I might have experienced many powerful, life changing encounters with God in my many years as a Christian whereas you might be just coming into the Christian faith and have not yet experienced the goodness and power of God. Because of this I might be joyfully singing with hands raised high and you might be looking at me like I have three heads.

Both the music and the mood of the church should be different during the time of worship vs the time of praise.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JonMiller

Senior Veteran
Jun 6, 2007
✟23,331.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
How we worship now, when has God instructed that?

And that wasn't worship in general, that was a specific type of worship that God had commanded them.

You are making up laws and burdening people with them. Stopping their worship. How can you do such a thing?

JM

Upvote 0

k4c

Nov 3, 2003
Rhode Island
✟4,820.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How we worship now, when has God instructed that?

And that wasn't worship in general, that was a specific type of worship that God had commanded them.

You are making up laws and burdening people with them. Stopping their worship. How can you do such a thing?

JM

All I'm saying is that there is a difference between worship and praise. It's a basic concept.

Upvote 0

reddogs

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
✟424,431.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, now we see the results as this things have been allowed to come into the church. The irreverence has reached a unbelievable level, beating drums and load noise from electric guitars as they wait for the service to start, joking and laughing by others from the pulpit like a bar, choir wandering in as if at a train station and just standing and having conversations and private discussions. Then the drum corps coming in during the service and booming out a march for some reason and then leaving, and then the children coming in and stomping and yelling for half the service what were clearly for camping, rather then church. And the adults urge to do the same... Then what left me shaken, Catholic Services for children at the Catholic Church promoted from the pulpit, I dont know what to say...

Upvote 0