Home
✟9,964.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Thanks flnative, I have been wanting to ask the question for a bit.

How long would you wait around for someone to take that next step?

As in, you've seen each other a few times, talk often, seem interested... but he's just not taking that leap of faith... not giving you any guarantees or commitments...

BoarderDave

SoCal Beachaholic
Jan 16, 2007
Southern California!
Visit site
✟27,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well if he's not taking that leap.. I'm sure not waiting around for him.. ^_^ haha.

I kid..

But really.. Idk, in that stage of the interests and dates and stuff, I have my eyes open to whoever.. so it tends to go to however things work out. I'll wait around until something that fits me better shows interest.

Upvote 0

gottabemore2life

Princess - Just a Little Girl
Nov 8, 2007
Home
✟9,964.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Well if he's not taking that leap.. I'm sure not waiting around for him.. ^_^ haha.

I kid..

But really.. Idk, in that stage of the interests and dates and stuff, I have my eyes open to whoever.. so it tends to go to however things work out. I'll wait around until something that fits me better shows interest.

So wait.... even if you know the relationship isn't going to progress, you will just hang around until another girl piques your interest???

Upvote 0

ido

Adios
May 7, 2007
✟56,288.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
I think that after a few dates - say 2 or 3 - both people should have a good idea as to whether or not they want to continue getting to know each other. That's when I think dating actually begins. I think the transition to exclusive dating tends to happen kind of naturally. Communication becomes more frequent - as does how often you see each other. The topics you discuss take on a deeper level. And so on. If the transition to exclusive dating doesn't seem to be happening after a couple of months of dating, then I begin to doubt that anything serious will develop and usually cut my losses and move on. So, I guess if I had to put a timeframe to it, I would give a situation 10-12 weeks to develop into something worth being exclusive over before writing it off.

Upvote 0

BoarderDave

SoCal Beachaholic
Jan 16, 2007
Southern California!
Visit site
✟27,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So wait.... even if you know the relationship isn't going to progress, you will just hang around until another girl piques your interest???
Yes.. but typically when I feel it will not progress, I end up giving off the feeling of not caring, not trying, etc.. and then the girl ends up leaving because of that. :o It's a vicious cycle.. I hate it. :help:

:|

Upvote 0

ido

Adios
May 7, 2007
✟56,288.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Yes.. but typically when I feel it will not progress, I end up giving off the feeling of not caring, not trying, etc.. and then the girl ends up leaving because of that. :o It's a vicious cycle.. I hate it. :help:

If you hate it, then change it. :)

Upvote 0

BoarderDave

SoCal Beachaholic
Jan 16, 2007
Southern California!
Visit site
✟27,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I dont know.. How do you change your natural feelings and mental processes? :sigh: It's very hard.. It's all in the way my head processes things.. and I feel too bad hurting people by telling them Im not interested and stuff.. :( I dont like causing anyone pain.

Upvote 0

Beautiful Fireball

Tomorrow is another day
Apr 30, 2006
✟30,245.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
One guy I waited for for a year and a half. Biggest waste of my time ever, but I am very grateful it didn't work out. Anyway I don't know that you can put a time limit on these things because everyone and every situation is different. Obviously a year and a half is a bit much, but I think people know when they've been waiting too long. I guess its the point you start questioning whether the other person is really interested or not.

Upvote 0

ido

Adios
May 7, 2007
✟56,288.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
I dont know.. How do you change your natural feelings and mental processes? :sigh: It's very hard.. It's all in the way my head processes things.. and I feel too bad hurting people by telling them Im not interested and stuff.. :( I dont like causing anyone pain.
Well, being emotionally unavailable in a relationship is much more hurtful than a breakup, IMO. You can tell the truth in love. Yes, it's going to be difficult and it's going to hurt the girl's feelings. But, I'd much rather be set free than be led on.

I hate hurting people's feelings, too. I broke up with a guy once that was talking about our future - to include marriage - and I was definitely not that into him. *I* ended up crying while I was breaking up with him b/c I felt horrible about it. :sorry: But, the alternative was to stay "trapped" in a relationship I didn't want. That wasn't fair to either one of us.

:hug: Sounds like you could use some prayers right about now.

Upvote 0

Beautiful Fireball

Tomorrow is another day
Apr 30, 2006
✟30,245.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married

You just do it, because you're way of doing things will cause them more pain then if you were just honest in the first place and it ends up making a girl feel used.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

IDDQD

Nov 2, 2005
✟3,613.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
I have a 2-year rule in play when it comes to deciding on whether or not to take it to the next level. I date the woman two years to make sure I still like her and wanna be with her once the love chemicals fade and self-disclosure is out of the way. If all goes well after those two years, then I'd be willing to pop the question.

Upvote 0

BoarderDave

SoCal Beachaholic
Jan 16, 2007
Southern California!
Visit site
✟27,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, being emotionally unavailable in a relationship is much more hurtful than a breakup, IMO. You can tell the truth in love. Yes, it's going to be difficult and it's going to hurt the girl's feelings. But, I'd much rather be set free than be led on.

I hate hurting people's feelings, too. I broke up with a guy once that was talking about our future - to include marriage - and I was definitely not that into him. *I* ended up crying while I was breaking up with him b/c I felt horrible about it. :sorry: But, the alternative was to stay "trapped" in a relationship I didn't want. That wasn't fair to either one of us.

You just do it, because you're way of doing things will cause them more pain then if you were just honest in the first place and it ends up making a girl feel used.
Thanks girls.. I will retire now to my lunchbreak with a mind full of confusing, but necessary and good, thoughts. :D

Upvote 0

soccerdad66

Veteran
Apr 4, 2007
Washington
✟13,574.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican

Totally agree with you ladies, I'd rather be honest and break her heart then mislead her and break her spirit. If you break her trust, it's not just you she'll have a hard time believing, every other guy now has a uphill battle for her trust. And remember, she has friends ;) It works both ways.

I try to be respectful and gracious about it, but I hate it when girls try to use that "hoping" that I'll change my mind and start liking her again. I won't, and in fact, I can be get pretty "unpleasant".

I think that after a few dates - say 2 or 3 - both people should have a good idea as to whether or not they want to continue getting to know each other. That's when I think dating actually begins. I think the transition to exclusive dating tends to happen kind of naturally. Communication becomes more frequent - as does how often you see each other. The topics you discuss take on a deeper level. And so on. If the transition to exclusive dating doesn't seem to be happening after a couple of months of dating, then I begin to doubt that anything serious will develop and usually cut my losses and move on. So, I guess if I had to put a timeframe to it, I would give a situation 10-12 weeks to develop into something worth being exclusive over before writing it off.
For me, it's when I start thinking of her and not interested in anyone else, Usually, I have an idea right away, but occasionally, it takes some time to grow.

Reactions: ido
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dluvs2trvl

What You See Is What You Get!
Nov 9, 2006
Washington
✟46,536.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Totally agree with you ladies, I'd rather be honest and break her heart then mislead her and break her spirit. If you break her trust, it's not just you she'll have a hard time believing, every other guy now has a uphill battle for her trust. And remember, she has friends ;) It works both ways.
That is exactly what I'm feeling right now! My spirit has been broken and I don't know if I'll be brave enough to trust another guy...

Upvote 0

gottabemore2life

Nov 8, 2007
Home
✟9,964.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican

This is NOT comforting given my current situation, :o but thanks for your honesty! :D

Upvote 0

gottabemore2life

Nov 8, 2007
Home
✟9,964.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Heed this advice boys!!! She may be mad at you now, but she will be a lot less bitter in the future. Think of your fellow man!

Upvote 0