Midwest
✟86,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I love learning new skills so I took up the spinning wheel! Anyone else do fiber crafts or art?

It's very tactile (which I love) and relaxing. I've only had a few hours of practice but there has been significant improvement and I can't wait to make some cool yarn.

Reactions: anna ~ grace

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟570,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I love learning new skills so I took up the spinning wheel! Anyone else do fiber crafts or art?

It's very tactile (which I love) and relaxing. I've only had a few hours of practice but there has been significant improvement and I can't wait to make some cool yarn.

Where does one acquire a spinning wheel?

Are they expensive?

Upvote 0

Hearingheart

May 25, 2016
Midwest
✟86,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Where does one acquire a spinning wheel?

Are they expensive?

They are pricey, but I'm sure you could get used ones. Right now I'm learning on a friends wheel. Not too far from me, there is a fiber co-op that rents wheels, so I guess that could be an option.

Google spinning wheel manufacturer, there are many brands and types of wheels. I'm still researching and learning.

Reactions: Landon Caeli
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Up here at Black Creek Pioneer Village, Toronto, Ontario there are various such crafts on display. :)

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,768.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
My oldest daughter acquired a spinning wheel this year. I didn't ask where she got it or how much it cost. She visited Scotland last June and bought or was given the spinning wheel when she came back. She knits a lot. Now she's learning to tat. And she works full-time.

Reactions: Hearingheart
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My oldest daughter acquired a spinning wheel this year. I didn't ask where she got it or how much it cost. She visited Scotland last June and bought or was given the spinning wheel when she came back. She knits a lot. Now she's learning to tat. And she works full-time.
This is really good, to keep up the old crafts.

Sometimes at museum villages they have working craft shops, which is a really good way of keeping alive the old hand crafts and also at reminding and educating people of how things used to be done.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Yes, I can imagine like you say that it can be very relaxing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums