Status
Not open for further replies.

sola fide

neo-Puritan
Aug 2, 2002
✟660.00
Faith
Calvinist
Sorry, I just now read this question, so I'll try to answer it. I actually don't know of a convention or association that has an official stance on the issue. Baptist congregations are autonomous, so there are no official mandates on non-doctrinal issues. I believe, from my experience, that this is basically left up to the indiviual congregation as they see fit, and are convicted by the word of God. That's the easiest way I know how to explain it.

Grace to you.

Upvote 0

I can eat 50 eggs

what we have here is a failure to communicate
Oct 3, 2002
Hampstead, Maryland
Visit site
✟16,632.00
Faith
Christian
this is from the Baptist Faith and Message

Children, from the moment of conception, are a blessing and heritage from the Lord.

which can be found at http://www.sbc.net/bfm/bfm2000.asp

How can you have that statement, and not one on BC? doesn't that imply certain things?

Upvote 0

Susan

退屈させた1 つ (bored one)
Feb 16, 2002
El Cajon, California, USA
Visit site
✟15,012.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The Baptists and nondenominationals I know in my independent Baptist church have never really thought about this issue. Most whom I personally know think any form of BC other than of the IUD or abortion is allowable (while being willingly ignorant that the Pill is abortifacient :sigh: ), while I believe that birth control of any form is wrong and that sex is for procreation only.

Opinions do differ.

Upvote 0

Susan

退屈させた1 つ (bored one)
Feb 16, 2002
El Cajon, California, USA
Visit site
✟15,012.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

SUNSTONE

Christian Warrior
Sep 2, 2002
Cocoa Village
Visit site
✟18,200.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Originally posted by Susan
For SUNSTONE:

Genesis 38:9 NIV
But Onan knew that the offspring would not be his; so whenever he lay with his brother's wife, he spilled his [just in case this is on the censored list, preemptive wash-my-mouth lol] on the ground to keep from producing offspring for his brother.

http://bible.gospelcom.net/cgi-bin/...amp;version=NIV&showfn=on&showxref=on

God told him to get that girl pregnant, God killed him because he disobeyed.

Sex is a gift from God, it is for procreation, but it is also for pleasure (inside of marriage). If it was only for procreation, then you could never have sex after she was pregnant, untill she became unpregnant.

But if you disagree, good luck in not having sex during pregnancy, since that would be a sin... in your eyes.

Upvote 0

A Sheep

Stop the suffering in Iraq
Mar 10, 2002
✟6,046.00
Originally posted by SUNSTONE
God told him to get that girl pregnant, God killed him because he disobeyed.

Sex is a gift from God, it is for procreation, but it is also for pleasure (inside of marriage). If it was only for procreation, then you could never have sex after she was pregnant, untill she became unpregnant.

But if you disagree, good luck in not having sex during pregnancy, since that would be a sin... in your eyes.

First, sex during pregnancy is sinful. Because sex is for procreation (as you have stated that), and a child (a human being) is inside the mother.

As for not being able to control one's self during marriage, here is some scripture:

Galatians 5
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,
23 gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.
24 Now those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.

I put 'self-control' in bold to point out that self-control is one of the fruit's of the spirit.

As for an official Baptist decree or opinion on BC, the SBC's "Faith and Message" on Family is

God has ordained the family as the foundational institution of human society. It is composed of persons related to one another by marriage, blood, or adoption.

Marriage is the uniting of one man and one woman in covenant commitment for a lifetime. It is God's unique gift to reveal the union between Christ and His church and to provide for the man and the woman in marriage the framework for intimate companionship, the channel of sexual expression according to biblical standards, and the means for procreation of the human race.

The husband and wife are of equal worth before God, since both are created in God's image. The marriage relationship models the way God relates to His people. A husband is to love his wife as Christ loved the church. He has the God-given responsibility to provide for, to protect, and to lead his family. A wife is to submit herself graciously to the servant leadership of her husband even as the church willingly submits to the headship of Christ. She, being in the image of God as is her husband and thus equal to him, has the God-given responsibility to respect her husband and to serve as his helper in managing the household and nurturing the next generation.

Children, from the moment of conception, are a blessing and heritage from the Lord. Parents are to demonstrate to their children God's pattern for marriage. Parents are to teach their children spiritual and moral values and to lead them, through consistent lifestyle example and loving discipline, to make choices based on biblical truth. Children are to honor and obey their parents.

Genesis 1:26-28; 2:15-25; 3:1-20; Exodus 20:12; Deuteronomy 6:4-9; Joshua 24:15; 1 Samuel 1:26-28; Psalms 51:5; 78:1-8; 127; 128; 139:13-16; Proverbs 1:8; 5:15-20; 6:20-22; 12:4; 13:24; 14:1; 17:6; 18:22; 22:6,15; 23:13-14; 24:3; 29:15,17; 31:10-31; Ecclesiastes 4:9-12; 9:9; Malachi 2:14-16; Matthew 5:31-32; 18:2-5; 19:3-9; Mark 10:6-12; Romans 1:18-32; 1 Corinthians 7:1-16; Ephesians 5:21-33; 6:1-4; Colossians 3:18-21; 1 Timothy 5:8,14; 2 Timothy 1:3-5; Titus 2:3-5; Hebrews 13:4; 1 Peter 3:1-7.

It mentions nothing that would show them to be either pro- or anti- birth control. It would be better if they had a statement regarding birth control, a Biblical one, stating that birth control is an affront to God and His purpose for marriage and sex. But since no such statement is to be found, atleast there is no pro-birth control statement; so the SBC, I assume, allows each individual Baptist church (and each Christian) to decide, based on the Bible, if the use of birth control is sinful (I am not insinuating that the use of birth control is only sinful for certain people, as I believe it is sinful regardless of the person's belief, but that atleast each Christian is able to read God's Word and realize the sinfulness of birth control, instead of a convention/group/church/person telling them that birth control is OK).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RevKidd

Simple Mans Theologian
Dec 18, 2002
Visit site
✟9,180.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
while I believe that birth control of any form is wrong and that sex is for procreation only.

BC is not wrong nor is it sinfull by anymeans. IMHO to state that the act of sex other than for procreation is wrong or sin is pure speculation based on interpretational assumptions in the scripture. :(

The Pill can also help regulate a womans body as well.  It has many other medical benefits other than preventing pregnancy.

Sex is meant for 3 things IMO

1.  Procreation 

2.  Pleasure

3.  Protection 

Upvote 0

Blindfaith

God's Tornado
Feb 9, 2002
Home of the Slug
✟7,755.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I don't really know what the stance is, 50 eggs, about birth control within the Baptist church.  Our pastor, as far as I can recall, hasn't touched on the subject. 

If a persons pov is that lovemaking is strictly for procreation, I feel very, very sorry for you.  I'm assuming that those with that opinion aren't married?  Or, if they are, it's not a very good marriage.  God did not create men and women to have such a sterile love-life within a marriage.  It's a beautiful gift to share with your loved one.

I've had 4 children and 3 misscarriages.  Not take birth control?  Ya, right.....my husband teases me that I'm fertile Mertle who met potent Paul ~ there's no way I'm going to have a dozen children.

Here's a thought ~ since I had my fallopian tubes cut, clamped and fried, did I sin?   A man who has a vasectomy, has he sinned? 

~Peace in Christ

Upvote 0

SUNSTONE

Christian Warrior
Sep 2, 2002
Cocoa Village
Visit site
✟18,200.00
Faith
Non-Denom
There is a verse that I can't find, where Paul says that when you get married you belong to the other person. Where the womens body belongs to the mans, and vice versa, and it goes on to say "and don't deny each other except during times of fasting."(or something like that).

The devil is the one that corrupted sex with adultury, inappropriate contentagraphy, prostitution, rape, and many other things.
God intended sex to be intimate.

A worship leader told me that God gets intimate with us throught his word.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.