• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Special Needs

April_Rose

Jul 4, 2020
Ohio
✟23,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged
I don't have anything specific, it's just what's known as mental retardation. Unfortunately I have been treated very differently throughout my lifetime because of it. It's like I got some disease that people are afraid of catching. That's why it's always been hard for me to make new friends. So I can definitely identify with this song. :(

JesseBassett

Follower of the way, the truth, and the life....
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Supporter
Apr 17, 2004
Inver Grove Heights, MN, USA
Visit site
✟415,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Rose,
I am sorry you have been treated badly. It is a shame to hear that in 2020 people still do not respect people with special needs. Please know if you ever want to talk, I am here. God loves you my sister! Stay strong!

• Friendly
Reactions: April_Rose
Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,060,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Wow Rose!

Based on the conversation that we had last night, I would have never known.

You seem just fine to me. I'm sorry that you have trouble making friends; but I don't believe that it's you. I believe that it's the state of the world.

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,060,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Then I've started to learn that the people who laugh and bully me (mostly cyberbullies now) they're the ones with a problem not me.

That is a very wise understanding.

• Agree
Upvote 0

April_Rose

Jul 4, 2020
Ohio
✟23,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged
Also I think cyber bullies are cowards. They do it because they can hide behind a screen name and get away with it. It's really sad that they have to bully others to make themselves feel better. They probably have no lives and really low self-esteems if they have to act like jerks and do that. Sad. Real sad. :(

Upvote 0

April_Rose

Jul 4, 2020
Ohio
✟23,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged
Oh yeah btw, I can't be independent yet either. I can't drive and I don't have a job. Currently on SSI. Thank goodness I finally got my Stimulus Check awhile back and I think there are talks about getting a second one,.. but I'm not sure though.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,060,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Yeah but it took me a long time to realize that. I think I'm smarter than I give myself credit for though.

Now that you are wise enough, not to let yourself be victimized by your pride; perhaps your mind is clear enough that the Father can work through you, to help these people.

They probably don't even realize that they have a problem.

We are called to love our enemies. Wouldn't it be awesome if Abba would show you a way to bring conviction and love to their hearts, to his glory?

I pray that he uses you as an instrument to his esteem.

I'd like to tell you a story from when I was much younger. I was well educated in engineering, highly intelligent, and a popular musician. I was witty, and had a way with words. I was often the center of attention in my social life.

It was a Friday evening; and I was getting off of work. There was a pizza place nearby; and we would all go have pizza together after work on Fridays. The subject of cheese came up. I had been thinking about how unnatural it was to eat cheese; so I brought up the subject. No one got it. I came at it from several angles. Blank stares. I went onto milk and ice cream. No difference.

Our janitor was with us. He was a man of few words. He had special needs. Oddly, he did understand me. After about 15 minutes of elaborate explanations of how unnatural eating dairy seemed to me, with no comprehension from the group; I gave up. That is when our janitor spoke a few simple words, in very simple terms. "Cows milk is for the calf."

Everyone got it.

With all of my supposed intellect, articulacy, presence, and vocabulary, I couldn't reach them.

The janitor brilliantly translates my dissertation into six penetrating words.

Intelligence is difficult to accurately measure. Some are gifted in some areas. Some are gifted in others. Is one gift better than another? My gifts were doing no one any good; until someone with other gifts came along to help me.

I pray again that you can use your gifts to help those who don't understand what you do.

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

April_Rose

Jul 4, 2020
Ohio
✟23,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged
Now that you are wise enough, not to let yourself be victimized by your pride; perhaps your mind is clear enough that the Father can work through you, to help these people.

They probably don't even realize that they have a problem.

We are called to love our enemies. Wouldn't it be awesome if Abba would show you a way to bring conviction and love to their hearts, to his glory?

I pray that he uses you as an instrument to his esteem.

I'd like to tell you a story from when I was much younger. I was well educated in engineering, highly intelligent, and a popular musician. I was witty, and had a way with words. I was often the center of attention in my social life.

It was a Friday evening; and I was getting off of work. There was a pizza place nearby; and we would all go have pizza together after work on Fridays. The subject of cheese came up. I had been thinking about how unnatural it was to eat cheese; so I brought up the subject. No one got it. I came at it from several angles. Blank stares. I went onto milk and ice cream. No difference.

Our janitor was with us. He was a man of few words. He had special needs. Oddly, he did understand me. After about 15 minutes of elaborate explanations of how unnatural eating dairy seemed to me, with no comprehension from the group; I gave up. That is when our janitor spoke a few simple words, in very simple terms. "Cows milk is for the calf."

Everyone got it.

With all of my supposed intellect, articulacy, presence, and vocabulary, I couldn't reach them.

The janitor brilliantly translates my dissertation into six penetrating words.

Intelligence is difficult to accurately measure. Some are gifted in some areas. Some are gifted in others. Is one gift better than another? My gifts were doing no one any good; until someone with other gifts came along to help me.

I pray again that you can use your gifts to help those who don't understand what you do.

Umm,.. please don't be offended by this but I'm confused and not quite sure at what you are trying to say and what point you are trying to make. :/

Reactions: royal priest
Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,060,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Learn the art of ignoring and switching off your emotions.

Do we really want our emotions to die?

I came to an understanding as a young man. It's difficult to be upset with someone; when you understand why they behave the way that they behave. If we can understand why it is that they are lashing out; we can convert that frustration within us, to sympathy.

If we can understand why they are lashing out; we are in a better position to help them overcome what's tormenting them.

Upvote 0

April_Rose

Jul 4, 2020
Ohio
✟23,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged

I came to an understanding as a young man. It's difficult to be upset with someone; when you understand why they behave the way that they behave. If we can understand why it is that they are lashing out; we can convert that frustration within us, to sympathy.

If we can understand why they are lashing out; we are in a better position to help them overcome what's tormenting them.

Oh okay thank you that makes more sense. :)

• Friendly
Reactions: HARK!
Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,060,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Umm,.. please don't be offended by this but I'm confused and not quite sure at what you are trying to say and what point you are trying to make. :/

LOL! Well as my story reveals, I sometimes have that effect on people. No offense taken.

In a nutshell, we all have gifts; and I pray that our heavenly Father can use yours, to help those who don't understand what you do.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DebbieJ

Jun 1, 2020
Italy
✟22,159.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Greens

Only with certain people and certain situations.

If that's a cyberbully or a troll from YouTube, I wouldn't waste my time. I move on doing something productive. It's easy. It's just like walking pass a garbage truck. It stinks, but if you walk away fast, the smell will disappear.

I don't stop and understand why it smells. lol

I wouldn't waste my time on a troll. They will waste your time, they will tire you, and drain you emotionally. I'm not sure why you would want to waste your time and sympathize with a troll.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,060,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
If that's a cyberbully or a troll from YouTube, I wouldn't waste my time. I move on doing something productive. It's easy. It's just like walking pass a garbage truck. It stinks, but if you walk away fast, the smell will disappear.

I don't stop and understand why it smells. lol

I wouldn't waste my time on a troll. They will waste your time, they will tire you, and drain you emotionally. I'm not sure why you would want to waste your time and sympathize with a troll.

It can be draining. It can also be very rewarding. Years ago, I was in another Christian forum; and I started a private group. We started working together to accomplish tasks. Through me, YHWH brought an Atheist troll to Messiah. Through me YHWH brought a homosexual to Messiah; and she stopped her acts. I worked with her through PMs. She still had desires; but she stopped the acts. I got through to her by explaining that all Christians have weaknesses. We all have our personal temptations. Even Messiah had temptations. It's natural to be tempted; but acting on those temptations is a choice. This took about nine months after the PMs started; but patience paid off.

Others in our group managed to bring several other Atheists to Messiah.

I just can't tell you how much joy comes from coaxing someone away from their own destruction.

People aren't garbage. They are creations of our loving father. It's his will that all be saved.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,060,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
"Cows milk is for the calf."

It's the same reasoning why we should not eat honey because it is made with bee's saliva and vomit. lol

I eat whatever is in the supermarket.

Milk started making me feel all mucusy when I reached adulthood. That what got me to thinking, which led to many questions like, "who was the first guy who was desperate enough to eat it, after the bacteria turned it into chunks;" but this isn't the place to have that discussion.

Upvote 0