Teacher of the Word
Apr 28, 2006
Arizona
✟17,809.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
I was reading an article online that was talking about favor and it mentioned speaking over everything from your kids to your cats to your business and home. Not saying I'm against it, but where does the Bible say to speak over everything?
There is so much taught in the bible about the power of the tongue and its influence in your life.

A good starting place is Mark 11:22-24
Have faith in God. 23 For assuredly, I say to you, whoever says to this mountain, ‘Be removed and be cast into the sea,’ and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that those things he says will be done, he will have whatever he says. 24 Therefore I say to you, whatever things you ask when you pray, believe that you receive them, and you will have them.

Proverbs 18:21
Death and life are in the power of the tongue,
And those who love it will eat its fruit.
Here is a good devotional on the subject too. Enjoy: link here.

May these be stepping stones to futher study on the subject.

Upvote 0

Faulty

bind on pick up
Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2005
✟64,989.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was reading an article online that was talking about favor and it mentioned speaking over everything from your kids to your cats to your business and home. Not saying I'm against it, but where does the Bible say to speak over everything?

It would suck to be a mute, having to pay someone to speak over their stuff so they can be blessed too.

Upvote 0

Shepherd1

In Service To The Lord
Oct 20, 2009
Australia
Visit site
✟19,138.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
It would suck to be a mute, having to pay someone to speak over their stuff so they can be blessed too.

Hi Faulty

I am sure, that God in His wisdom, knows how to provide for ALL His children, and not just the ones who were blessed with the ability to speak. God is good Amen. After all, He is the creator of Heaven and Earth! :clap::clap::clap:

Upvote 0

Faulty

bind on pick up
Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2005
✟64,989.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Faulty

I am sure, that God in His wisdom, knows how to provide for ALL His children, and not just the ones who were blessed with the ability to speak. God is good Amen. After all, He is the creator of Heaven and Earth! :clap::clap::clap:

I agree with you. That's why I don't understand the fixation of being sure to "speak" over things to obtain a blessing, when making a verbal confirmation is not necessary for all, and is therefore not a steadfast requirement. If it is a rule, then it it is a rule for all, regardless of ability.

Therefore, I consider those who require the ability to "speak" to obtain blessings and favor to be in great error.

Upvote 0

Shepherd1

In Service To The Lord
Oct 20, 2009
Australia
Visit site
✟19,138.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
I agree with you. That's why I don't understand the fixation of being sure to "speak" over things to obtain a blessing, when making a verbal confirmation is not necessary for all, and is therefore not a steadfast requirement. If it is a rule, then it it is a rule for all, regardless of ability.

Therefore, I consider those who require the ability to "speak" to obtain blessings and favor to be in great error.

Hello again

The Bible says that 'A man's stomach shall be satisfied from the fruit of his mouth, and from the produce of his lips he shall be filled.' (Prov 18:20). What do you think these verses mean?

Love to all...

Upvote 0

ABlessedAnomaly

Teacher of the Word
Apr 28, 2006
Arizona
✟17,809.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married

And after you answer Shepherd1, consider this:
A) Mark 11:23
For assuredly, I say to you, whoever says to this mountain....
oops, lets redo that....
B) Mark 11:23
For assuredly, I say to you, whoever says to this mountain....
That's better. Now unless you are a cessationist and think that Jesus is ONLY speaking to the apostles, did Jesus make "verbal" anything to you here? Or did He have it written in His Word for you.

Having written it, would you still say that Jesus said this to you? (And would you say that it potentially has power in your life?)

Now back to the first one. (Did you know that "say" in the two underlined phrases above are different Greek words?) Yes, back to (A).

The word for "say" is epo (εἴπῃ). It means to bid, call, say, speak, tell. One of its roots is the word phemi (ἔφη); this root means "to show or make known one's thoughts." I think a mute person would still be able to do this. So even in this person's disability, the power of the tongue is still in effect -- even without a sound.
Proverbs 18:21
Death and life are in the power of the tongue,
And those who love it will eat its fruit.
"Power of the tongue" (בְּיַד־לָשֹׁ֑ון) [read right to left ;)] --

Power - yad (בְּיַד) actually can mean about two dozen things. Power being the most obvious in translation here, but also direction, charge, force, means, ordinance, stroke, just to name a few.

Tongue - lashown (לָשֹׁ֑ון) can mean the physical tongue, but can also be figurative for speech. Tongue, talker, language.

'Power of the tongue' is a fitting translation, but for the mute could just as easily be something like the force of language (which can be in any form as long as the message is powerfully spent).

And this takes nothing from the verse, nor from the Word/Faith interpretation of it. God is good; He thinks of everything!!

Last edited:
Reactions: PastorMike
Upvote 0

Shepherd1

In Service To The Lord
Oct 20, 2009
Australia
Visit site
✟19,138.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married

Hi there

Speaking God's word has been around for a very long time - as far back as the OT - it's nothing new:

Joshua 1:8 "This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate in it day and night, that you may observe to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success."

Also, I once read that the word 'meditate' in Hebrew literally means to 'utter or mutter under your breath.' Food for thought...^_^

Maybe ABM can expound on this a little. (Or a lot LOL) :D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dkbwarrior

Favoured of the Lord
Sep 19, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
✟14,349.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

And who would that be? Jesus mabey?

23 For verily I say unto you, That whosoever shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; and shall not doubt in his heart, but shall believe that those things which he saith shall come to pass; he shall have whatsoever he saith.
-Mark 11:23

Or mabey James?

2 Ye lust, and have not: ye kill, and desire to have, and cannot obtain: ye fight and war, yet ye have not, because ye ask not.
-James 4:2

Less than .01% of people are unable to speak. Jesus used the word speak, and the apostles used the word speak, and we use the word "speak" because it is the most common form of communication in existence, and 99.99% can and do use it as their primary form of communication. However, when the Bible refers to speaking (as well as hearing), it is understood that it is not referring only to vocalization of sound, or the reception of sound. When Jesus quoted Isaiah saying "...in hearing they hear not, and in seeing they see not..." He was saying that they hear with their ears, but not with their heart, they see with their eyes, but not with their heart.

In much the same way, speaking to God is of the heart also. Even for those that can speak vocally, speech of the heart can and does count:

20 And, behold, a woman, which was diseased with an issue of blood twelve years, came behind him, and touched the hem of his garment:
21 For she said within herself, If I may but touch his garment, I shall be whole.
22 But Jesus turned him about, and when he saw her, he said, Daughter, be of good comfort; thy faith hath made thee whole. And the woman was made whole from that hour.
-Matthew 9:20-22

We see from this passage of scripture that this woman spoke these words in her heart, not out loud, and still released faith that way. Those that have a problem with WOF using the term "speak" or "say" is as silly as having a problem with Jesus using the term "speak" or "say". As long as those using the phrase use it the same way, to mean communication of thoughts, ideas, and concepts; primarily by vocalization, but also to include speaking in the heart, then there is no problem. (I would add that sign language, braille, and body language are also ways of speaking, not to mention our deeds. Ever hear of the saying, 'Your actions speak louder than your words'?)

Peace...

Last edited:
Reactions: Shepherd1
Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican

but it's not a rule--it's a covenant. and covenants have obligations and responsibilities as well as promises on both sides.

The responsibility is that we speak over the things that God has either given us (land, property) or put into our charge ( our children, employees if we own a business, a wife if we are married men, etc.) and the blessing obtained is that God will in turn hear our prayers if we are a man.

for those who aren't physically able to speak there are other means of communication that are available to use. The emphasis here is not on the speaking, but in being obedient to what God expects of those in covenant with Him. So if a person is physically able to speak then God expects them to do so, and thus use their authority in the position that God has placed them to ask for blessing and favor from God on those under their authority.

remember the story of the Centurian who told Jesus about the men under his authority, who came and went at his asking? he believed that it woud be enough for Jesus to simply say the word from where He was, and his servant would be healed. He was demonstrating that same covenant relationship that I am talking about here.

That Centurian was acting in the authority given him by the position he held to ask for healing on behalf of his servant. And he was trusting that in doing so, Jesus as God on earth, would hear his petition and grant his request, from where He (Jesus) was standing.
that parable is the answer to your question in a nutshell.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Shepherd1

In Service To The Lord
Oct 20, 2009
Australia
Visit site
✟19,138.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
:hahaha:

This is my mouth open wide !!! :D

Time to be bold! Ask God for whatever it is you want! Don't let fear trouble you! Give Him your voice. It pleases Him greatly to hear from you. Without faith you cannot please Him. Release your faith now dear brothers and sisters. Have the life you've been dreaming of Amen. He is the resurrection and the life! Allow Him to resurrect those dreams. Let Him provide solutions to your problems. With God, nothing is impossible. Now it's your turn. Believe...

Upvote 0

Alive_Again

Resident Alien
Sep 16, 2010
✟12,991.00
Faith
Word of Faith

The New Testament model of behavior is for the body to walk according to the dictates of the Head.
As the Head directs, the body should move in one accord with it. This is how the best results are achieved. Each person moves with the Lord according to the level of maturity or renewal he or she has reached. The more in unity he or she moves, the greater the level of blessing, or their is a greater opportunity to be blessed.

We are told in this world to walk by faith and not by sight. So we are led by the Spirit by His moving within our hearts, and by bearing witness of the truth, as one speaks under the anointing. We act on the Word and as we renew ourselves to the truth of the Word, we do all that we can to align ourselves with the revelation of God.

We are to speak in agreement with the mind of Christ. This is what prophecy is all about. It is the testimony of Jesus in our hearts. If God says that your home and car and bread and water are to be under the blessing, then agreeing with that is moving with the mind of Christ. If faith needs a corresponding action, then if you believe your food (or anything else within your stewardship) is blessed as you pray over it, it is so (if you believe). God is all ready to bless it as you pray the blessing. The same goes for your car. Speak that your car is blessed.

The acting on the Word is done in the heart first, and out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks.
If you have the capability to speak, then that should be the natural outflow of your heart. If you are unable to speak, their is a "silent" language of the heart that God hears.

I have prayed many things without speaking them. Other times, I cannot just say it inwardly, and I feel that I MUST vocalize it "into the spiritual atmosphere". Since we know that we'll eat the fruit of our lips, why not speak in agreement with the revelation of the Word and the blessing, available for God's obedient children?

For she said within herself, If I may but touch his garment, I shall be whole. But Jesus turned him about, and when he saw her, he said, Daughter, be of good comfort; thy faith hath made thee whole. And the woman was made whole from that hour.
Matt 9:21-22

It's not a requirement, but it is a corresponding act of faith, that according to the Word, we can bind/prevent, loose/enable, sow and reap, turn about a ship, bridle your whole body, bless, curse, and the many other things the Word describes about the use of our tongues.

Created in God's image, it's use is a great opportunity for blessing for those submitted to God. Use it to bless yourself and those around you, not to mention the things God has given you. It's not a requirement to be able to speak to be blessed, but if you have a tongue, it is a tool or "member" that you use to flow with God - using the enablings given to you.

Upvote 0