Not open for further replies.

Asaph

Jun 9, 2004
Deep South
✟5,795.00
Faith
Christian
Cool! I was first to vote and it made it 100% yes!.........:D

The scriptures are clear that it is a gift for our time. Now, i have had one instance of my pastor speaking in tongues when he was praying for someone, (that I was also laying hands on at the time) and I interpreted. That was ONE time in eleven years.
I also have had ONE time in eleven years that I myself spoke in tongues. Both instances have come about in the last three years and there was no doubt what-so-ever that it was from God.
Sometimes I think that because we can read all of Acts in one evening we get the impression that everytime we turn around there ought to be an overwhelming manifestation of the Holy Spirit moving in power, but in reality, the book of Acts took place over many many years. Could God move every time we take a breath? Absolutely! But I think He wants us to have faith to wait too.

Grace, Mercy, and Peace,
Asaph

Upvote 0

servant4ever

Servant of Jesus Christ
Jan 9, 2004
Saint Paul
✟17,534.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Speaking in tongues is Biblical. 1 Corinthians speaks of people speaking in tongues, but they need to make sure they do it in love or they are just a clanging symbol (chapter 13). Plus the first Christians spoke in tongues (Acts 2:4) and that's how people were converted to Christianity, and in fact, 3,000 people became Christians that one day (v. 41); talk about church growth, eh? :)

servant4ever

Upvote 0

Asaph

Jun 9, 2004
Deep South
✟5,795.00
Faith
Christian
AV1611 said:
Shew me that it is for today!
89rn j3j95y7 we354fq3rq9jeoqo 84..........Oops, technically I guess that is typing in tongues, either that or I had my fingers on the wrong row of keys.:)

Actually AV1611, the burden of proof lies with you, since so far every other post has affirmed the gift. I am curious if there is more than just the one reference to the ceasing of tongues, which gives no time frame that I can recall. Are there other scriptures?

Grace and Peace,
Asaph

Upvote 0

Plan 9

Absolutely Elsewhere
Jul 7, 2002
Deck Six, Cargo Bay Two; apply to Annabel Lee to l
Visit site
✟20,357.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Asaph said:
89rn j3j95y7 we354fq3rq9jeoqo 84..........Oops, technically I guess that is typing in tongues, either that or I had my fingers on the wrong row of keys.:)

Actually AV1611, the burden of proof lies with you, since so far every other post has affirmed the gift. I am curious if there is more than just the one reference to the ceasing of tongues, which gives no time frame that I can recall. Are there other scriptures?

Grace and Peace,
Asaph

Yes, I would like to see Scripture to that effect, myself, please. :)

Upvote 0

sunshinejennii

Pierced, Purple, Hippy, Happy, Laughing Lass
Mar 20, 2004
Uni=Birmingham, England and Home=Leicester (Oadby)
✟5,835.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I believe some people have the gift of speaking in tongues, my mum does and i used to find it scary when i was little because i didnt understand what was happening. However I also believe that some people speak in demonic tongues, they believe it is from God but it isnt.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

sunshinejennii

Mar 20, 2004
✟5,835.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Well im gonna ask my question anyway! I apologise in advance and I will go back and edit this post if necessary.

How do you/or people you know pray in tongues? I dont mean I want to and can you teach me how, thats silly its God-given not somehting you can learn!! What I mean is what do you sound like? Do you only pray in tongues at certain occasions? that kinda thing.

My mum hisses and doesnt generally in morning services at church because she doesnt reach such a prayerful state, shes worshipping in a different way.

One of my youth leaders daughter (who is a youth pastor elsewhere) does sound like she is speaking an ancient language, im not sure what it is but its recognisable. When we had a youth weekend away a few weeks ago she did it as she prayed over us. Forgive me if I seem rude but I didnt think this was very sensible of her, some people had never heard anyone speak in tongues before, they were a bit taken a back and I felt if she had at least mentioned she could it wouldnt have worried some people as much. Some of the people who were there worry A LOT!!!!

Upvote 0

Plan 9

Absolutely Elsewhere
Jul 7, 2002
Deck Six, Cargo Bay Two; apply to Annabel Lee to l
Visit site
✟20,357.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
sunshinejennii said:
I believe some people have the gift of speaking in tongues, my mum does and i used to find it scary when i was little because i didnt understand what was happening. However I also believe that some people speak in demonic tongues, they believe it is from God but it isnt.

So..would you mind expanding on the demonic tongues part, but only if you would like to?

Please keep in mind that I'm just a visitor here and wouldn't be out to debate you if I were allowed to. I'm just interested in everyone's opinions. :)

Upvote 0

sunshinejennii

Mar 20, 2004
✟5,835.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Yea sure, for example with my mum, when she speaks in tongues it sounds a little like a hiss and ive often thourght that it could be mistaken as demonic tongues.

Im not sure exactly how you want me to expand but I'll try!

The way I see it GOD is stronger than the Devil, but the devil is still pretty powerful and if GOD can give someone the gift of tongues the Devil may well have the power to corrupt this gift. When I was about 3 or 4 I woke up to find my Mum praying in tongues over my bed, which wasnt desperatly pleasant but it didnt scare me in any way, it was comforting that she was there and once I understood it better it was nice to know she'd been praying for me, but I can see how the Devil could have used that to get to me, to scare me using my own mother, and that small fear of my mum could have been worked upon.

Someone was telling me the other day about the Toronto blessing or something, I cant remember much of the conversation, it happened 9 or 10 or 11 years ago I believe and had something to do with a wave of healing, the holy spirit and bestowing of traditional biblical gifts, the gift of prophecy, the gift of tongues etc, people would fall down and things. The person telling me this shared their opinion on it, that while it started as GODs work and the Holy Spirit it became corrupted, how they'd been praying with a visiting preacher who had tried to push them backwards so it looked like the Holy Spirit had overcome them and as part of this the people who gained the gift of tongues may not have recieved a gift, and may not have recieved it from GOD.

Im not sure ive made much sense but I hope you can see roughly what I mean?!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Iosias

Senior Contributor
Jul 18, 2004
✟9,648.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Asaph said:
Actually AV1611, the burden of proof lies with you, since so far every other post has affirmed the gift.

Grace and Peace,
Asaph
I beg to differ. If you are all saying that it does exist then surely you should be able to shew me the Biblical references that it is for today and has not ceased?

My argument is summarised thus:
The book of Acts establishes clearly that biblical tongues were languages (Acts 2:6, 8, 11). The tongues of Acts and Corinthians were the same. There is absolutely no evidence that the tongues of Corinthians were different from the ones in Acts or that they were angelic languages. 1 Corinthians 13:1 shows that tongues were a temporary sign gift. Tongues were a part of the miraculous era of Christ and the apostles and were necessary, along with the gift of miracles, as an authenticating sign of the apostles (2 Corinthians 12:12). Tongues were a sign gift belonging to the infancy stage of the church and they were used as a sign to unbelieving Jews and in this sense were used in evangelism.

Since we now no longer need any signs to authenticate apostles tongues are not needed. Furthermore because tongues are related to Israel and Israel has been temporarily set aside they are nolonger needed and so have ceased. See: http://www.bereanbiblesociety.org/articles/1064006213.html

Upvote 0

Asaph

Jun 9, 2004
Deep South
✟5,795.00
Faith
Christian
AV1611 said:
I beg to differ. If you are all saying that it does exist then surely you should be able to shew me the Biblical references that it is for today and has not ceased?

My argument is summarised thus:
Since we now no longer need any signs to authenticate apostles tongues are not needed. Furthermore because tongues are related to Israel and Israel has been temporarily set aside they are nolonger needed and so have ceased. See: http://www.bereanbiblesociety.org/articles/1064006213.htmlhttp://www.bereanbiblesociety.org/articles/1064006213.html
Not a single one of your references said that tongues, or for that matter, any spiritual gift had ceased.

Also, if all the different people listed in Acts heard in their own language that would indicate to me that No earthly language was used because different groups all heard in their own language.

Surely for you to be so positive about this there must be some other scriptural references pointing out the end of spiritual gifts. I know that further down in Corinthians 13 it aludes to tongues ceasing, but in context it appears to me to mean they will cease at the second coming of Christ. You aren't saying that has already happened are you?

Grace, and Peace,
Asaph

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.