Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟795,766.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This forum is only for posters who believe in the manifestation of spiritual gifts and they're for today. Per forum rules.

DK of a scripture to support this but there are differences when a gift of tongues with interpretation and prayer language is spoken in church One thing there's a hush that comes over the congregation when it's a gift of tongues with interpretation.. This was noted in Marie Wwodworth Etters diary also.

Additionally when an interpretation is expected and a believer hasn't received the interpretation previously, sometimes it can be difficult for them to say it.

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟795,766.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Tongues are a sign - To unbelievers By believers "Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not:" "And these signs shall follow them that believe; ...they shall speak with new tongues; (I Cor 14:22 and Mark 16:17)

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟379,528.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Tongues are a sign - To unbelievers By believers "Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not:" "And these signs shall follow them that believe; ...they shall speak with new tongues; (I Cor 14:22 and Mark 16:17)
I assume you mean interpreted tongues?

Or do you mean a message for a foreign language speaker in his/her own tongue?

Or possibly both...

I still believe Paul spoke against private prayer languages uninterpreted in church.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟379,528.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Additionally when an interpretation is expected and a believer hasn't received the interpretation previously, sometimes it can be difficult for them to say it.

I am used to hearing the interpretation from another.

An uninterpreted tongue can be due to a second person with the interpretation failing to bring it.

• Agree
Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
True. But why aren't they interpreting it then? (Hypothetically)

That question could be asked of any of the gifts, why don't people move in them.

Often that's down to intimidation from the church system that makes using the gifts feel quite threatening.

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
Personally I don't see the church as a place for speaking one's private prayer language except possibly when quietly ministering to someones need as an intercessory tool.
When the church is in collective worship, uninterpreted tongues is entirely appropriate.

• Agree
Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟379,528.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I now this is the modern approach but struggle to find biblical support for it.

It seems to be precisely what Paul spoke against.

I have a private tongue for intercession - Paul suggested this gift was not to be exercised in church because there would be no interpretation and others would not be edified...

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
I now this is the modern approach but struggle to find biblical support for it.
Sorry Carl, but unless you've been in an early church meeting, you don't know 'this is the modern approach"
It seems to be precisely what Paul spoke against.
Paul spoke against using tongues to address the congregation without interpretation. He did not speak against tongues being used as a part of collective worship.
I have a private tongue for intercession - Paul suggested this gift was not to be exercised in church because there would be no interpretation and others would not be edified...
You've obviously never participated in collective worship in tongues, otherwise you wouldn't be so critical.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟379,528.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You've obviously never participated in collective worship in tongues, otherwise you wouldn't be so critical.

This is the incorrect statement on two counts.

First you assume incorrectly about my worship history.

Second you suggest I am critical when I simply seek to weigh modern trends against the Scriptural record.

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
This is the incorrect statement on two counts.

First you assume incorrectly about my worship history.

Second you suggest I am critical when I simply seek to weigh modern trends against the Scriptural record.
But you've just repeated the same thing, -assuming they way tongues is done is a modern trend.

Upvote 0