Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
A Pentecostal church couldn’t get me to speak in tongues, guess it ain’t my gift.
That would be true. No Pentecostal church can get anyone to speak in tongues because the gift is not the church's to give. Jesus is the baptiser with the Holy Spirit and the Giver of the gifts, and they are bestowed by Him on the basis of faith in Him alone and not in a church. Maybe you were looking in the wrong direction, or those who tried to get you to speak in tongues thought they had the ability to impart the gift when it wasn't theirs to impart.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Could have been like God told Elijah, I've got 7000 who have not bent their kneel to Baal
Yes. There always were down through the centuries, but they were ruthlessly suppressed by the established paganised church.

Upvote 0

Curtis.Hilliker

Now what.......
Apr 25, 2011
Tehachapi CA
✟47,020.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
That would be true. No Pentecostal church can get anyone to speak in tongues because the gift is not the church's to give. Jesus is the baptiser with the Holy Spirit and the Giver of the gifts, and they are bestowed by Him on the basis of faith in Him alone and not in a church. Maybe you were looking in the wrong direction, or those who tried to get you to speak in tongues thought they had the ability to impart the gift when it wasn't theirs to impart.

Very true. I wish someone would impart prophecy to me :)

What bugs me is that I belong to a “charismatic” church and yet I hardly ever see gifts manifest. It’s like we are the church of the frozen chosen.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Very true. I wish someone would impart prophecy to me :)

What bugs me is that I belong to a “charismatic” church and yet I hardly ever see gifts manifest. It’s like we are the church of the frozen chosen.
Basically it is history repeating itself. If you look back in the history of the Presbyterian, Methodist, Baptist, Open Brethren, and Salvation Army, in their first years, the gifts were present. The Old Presbyterian Covenanters manifested prophecy that actually came true. The Methodists had healing and tongues, although when Wesley heard it he through the guy was clucking like a chicken all night! All these churches started off with the gifts in some form, but as they formalised and became "respectable" in society, these gifts declined and disappeared after a couple of generations. It is the same with the early Pentecostals. In most Pentecostal churches today, the gifts of tongues and prophecy are rarely used. You would think that you were in a Baptist church the way they worship these days.

We are finding that the true gifts are declining, but being replaced by occult kundalini manifestations, Hindu mind-control in the form of "positive thinking and confession", using prayer, faith, and the laying on of hands as a power in themselves to achieve the desired results (sorcery and witchcraft), false prophecy dreamed up out of the "big-name' fellows heads. What is happening is that the true gifts are being sidelined by the false and misuse. So, many godly people have become spooked and are not willing to use the gift of prophecy for fear of giving false prophecies. Because the gifts are manifested by faith, when people get afraid, their faith falls on its side.

But there are small groups who do continue to use the gifts, but they are few and far between. I live in a city where there is a church on just about every corner, but I don't know of any that are regularly using the true gifts of the Spirit. But then, didn't Jesus say that there would be a general falling away from the faith as the end approaches?

Upvote 0

Curtis.Hilliker

Now what.......
Apr 25, 2011
Tehachapi CA
✟47,020.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
Basically it is history repeating itself. If you look back in the history of the Presbyterian, Methodist, Baptist, Open Brethren, and Salvation Army, in their first years, the gifts were present. The Old Presbyterian Covenanters manifested prophecy that actually came true. The Methodists had healing and tongues, although when Wesley heard it he through the guy was clucking like a chicken all night! All these churches started off with the gifts in some form, but as they formalised and became "respectable" in society, these gifts declined and disappeared after a couple of generations. It is the same with the early Pentecostals. In most Pentecostal churches today, the gifts of tongues and prophecy are rarely used. You would think that you were in a Baptist church the way they worship these days.

We are finding that the true gifts are declining, but being replaced by occult kundalini manifestations, Hindu mind-control in the form of "positive thinking and confession", using prayer, faith, and the laying on of hands as a power in themselves to achieve the desired results (sorcery and witchcraft), false prophecy dreamed up out of the "big-name' fellows heads. What is happening is that the true gifts are being sidelined by the false and misuse. So, many godly people have become spooked and are not willing to use the gift of prophecy for fear of giving false prophecies. Because the gifts are manifested by faith, when people get afraid, their faith falls on its side.

But there are small groups who do continue to use the gifts, but they are few and far between. I live in a city where there is a church on just about every corner, but I don't know of any that are regularly using the true gifts of the Spirit. But then, didn't Jesus say that there would be a general falling away from the faith as the end approaches?

I have experienced some of the fake, but some of the real too (at the same church of all places). I am thankful that I at least have some level of discernment. I read a book on tongues once (cant remember the author). Right after I finished reading it I randomly spoke an utterance (without being guided in some way). I think it was God showing it to me. Never have since then. Anyway, have a nice day.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I have experienced some of the fake, but some of the real too (at the same church of all places). I am thankful that I at least have some level of discernment. I read a book on tongues once (cant remember the author). Right after I finished reading it I randomly spoke an utterance (without being guided in some way). I think it was God showing it to me. Never have since then. Anyway, have a nice day.
Well, you can take it from me, you can pray in tongues any time. I will PM you and attach my Ebook which you can read and make up your mind about it.

Upvote 0

Eha

Jan 6, 2020
Tallinn
✟30,373.00
Country
Estonia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
1 Corinthians 12:30 asks the question "Do all speak in tongues?" implying that this is not and should not be true. However, in Acts salvation was always followed by the newly saved being filled with the Holy Spirit and speaking in tongues (and the Bible contains the exhortation "Be filled with the Holy Spirit" in Ephesians 5:18). How do you reconcile these?
I was worried about it years ago, then, after Father explained, what i misunderstood, i wrote this (as i'm bad in English, i just coy/paste it from old blog)
---
1 Corinthians
28 And God has placed in the church first of all apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healing, of helping, of guidance, and of different kinds of tongues. 29 Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles? 30 Do all have gifts of healing? Do all speak in tongues? Do all interpret?

Jesus said:
Mark 16
17 And these signs will accompany those who believe: in my name they will cast out demons; they will speak in new tongues; 18 they will pick up serpents with their hands; and if they drink any deadly poison, it will not hurt them; they will lay their hands on the sick, and they will recover.”

"They" - not, some, not just apostles, not some elected.
What ever Jesus say, is very accurate.
Then I asked the Father today — Why Paul write — not all?
Father - look WHAT ABOUT PAUL WRITES THERE!
I looked — about the right service at meetings — Father - remember, how was your meetings?

And I remember - someone got vision, someone Bible verse about that vision, someone explaining and so on. Everyone got something about that vision, even if there were 5 people or just 2. If 2, then someone got vision and word and 2nd explaining. If 5, then someone vision, other explaining, other word, other some episode from life and so on and so on. See? No-one wasn't ever left without something useful about that vision. But if i was alone, I got all that just by myself.

Jesus Word and promise wont change until there is earth and sky.
---
P.S.
will cast out demons - not done yet.
will speak in new tongues - i do.
will pick up serpents with their hands - the viper bit me and I didn't get any harm, was with 3 kids, they can witness.
drink any deadly poison, it will not hurt them - not yet.
will lay their hands on the sick, and they will recover - many times.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I was worried about it years ago, then, after Father explained, what i misunderstood, i wrote this (as i'm bad in English, i just coy/paste it from old blog)
---
1 Corinthians
28 And God has placed in the church first of all apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healing, of helping, of guidance, and of different kinds of tongues. 29 Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles? 30 Do all have gifts of healing? Do all speak in tongues? Do all interpret?

Jesus said:
Mark 16
17 And these signs will accompany those who believe: in my name they will cast out demons; they will speak in new tongues; 18 they will pick up serpents with their hands; and if they drink any deadly poison, it will not hurt them; they will lay their hands on the sick, and they will recover.”

I looked — about the right service at meetings — Father - remember, how was your meetings?

And I remember - someone got vision, someone Bible verse about that vision, someone explaining and so on. Everyone got something about that vision, even if there were 5 people or just 2. If 2, then someone got vision and word and 2nd explaining. If 5, then someone vision, other explaining, other word, other some episode from life and so on and so on. See? No-one wasn't ever left without something useful about that vision. But if i was alone, I got all that just by myself.

---
P.S.
will pick up serpents with their hands - the viper bit me and I didn't get any harm, was with 3 kids, they can witness.
Your English is not too bad. I can understand you quite easily.
Remember that the Holy Spirit distributes His gifts according to His will for you, and are suitable for your role in the church. This is why Paul asked if all prophesied, all speak in tongues. Not everyone has that type of ministry role in the church. A person can pray in tongues at home, but that doesn't mean he can give a tongues message to be interpreted in church.

Also consider that when the Scripture talks about handling serpents and drinking poison, that it is not meant literally. Serpents in the Bible speaks of demon spirits which we can deal with in the power of the Holy Spirit, and drinking poison can stand for being immune from spiritual poison that could corrupt our faith in Christ.

Also, your description of people freely contributing to the church service is the way church should be conducted, rather than have a passive congregation sitting like wooden statues just observing the performance at the front. Every person in the meeting has something from the Lord to share and they should be able to share it. But in many churches that is not possible and people have to just sit there while the one-man-band does all the sharing. It is a reason why the Holy Spirit can't freely minister in many of our churches.

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
---
1 Corinthians

Jesus said:
Mark 16

---
P.S.

You can prove your interpretation to yourself by drinking Acid.

Are all men? Are all women? Are all white? Are all Green? Are all Yellow? Are all purple?
Are all six feet tall? Are all 3 feet tall? Do all weight 200 pounds? Do all weight 100 pounds? Are all Red? Are all Blue? The correct answer to all these questions is NO, just as the answer to text you quoted are NO.

If you are not aware the longer ending to Mark is likely not the real ending to Mark.
It is possible that we don't even have that ending today.

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Your English is not too bad. I can understand you quite easily.
Remember that the Holy Spirit distributes His gifts according to His will for you, and are suitable for your role in the church. This is why Paul asked if all prophesied, all speak in tongues. Not everyone has that type of ministry role in the church. A person can pray in tongues at home, but that doesn't mean he can give a tongues message to be interpreted in church.

Also consider that when the Scripture talks about handling serpents and drinking poison, that it is not meant literally. Serpents in the Bible speaks of demon spirits which we can deal with in the power of the Holy Spirit, and drinking poison can stand for being immune from spiritual poison that could corrupt our faith in Christ.

Also, your description of people freely contributing to the church service is the way church should be conducted, rather than have a passive congregation sitting like wooden statues just observing the performance at the front. Every person in the meeting has something from the Lord to share and they should be able to share it. But in many churches that is not possible and people have to just sit there while the one-man-band does all the sharing. It is a reason why the Holy Spirit can't freely minister in many of our churches.

Mormons have claimed the same things to me.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Mormons have claimed the same things to me.
It proves that a counterfeit can have many things in common with the genuine. It is those hidden differences that can be deceptive.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟795,766.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Encourage all of those who speak in tongues because...

"If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?" Matt 7:11

"INo one speaking by the Spirit of God would ever say, “Jesus is the accursed one.”
No one can say, “Jesus is the Lord Yahweh,” unless the Holy Spirit is speaking through him.
4 It is the same Holy Spirit who continues to distribute many different varieties of gifts.
5 The Lord Yahweh is one, and he is the one who apportions to believers different varieties of ministries." I Cor 12

Speaking in tongues by those who hallow Jesus, His name, love God and others.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Encourage all of those who speak in tongues because...

"If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?" Matt 7:11

"INo one speaking by the Spirit of God would ever say, “Jesus is the accursed one.”
No one can say, “Jesus is the Lord Yahweh,” unless the Holy Spirit is speaking through him.
4 It is the same Holy Spirit who continues to distribute many different varieties of gifts.
5 The Lord Yahweh is one, and he is the one who apportions to believers different varieties of ministries." I Cor 12

Speaking in tongues by those who hallow Jesus, His name, love God and others.
I agree. It was around 53 years ago when I received the gift of tongues. I have had one event where I spoke NZ Maori without knowing it, and a lady sitting beside me heard me praising the Lord in her own language. That was a real boost to my faith.

I have assisted people to receive the gift and it has been remarkable that so many, when they launched out in tongues for the first time, speaking the most expressive and beautiful languages. This is much more that the gibberish that some speak thinking they have the gift, when they go, "ba ba sha ba ba" in response to six people surrounding them pressuring them into speaking anything.

But when seekers go through the Scriptural steps to receive:
Believe it is God's will for them
Ask for the gift according to God's will
Receive it by faith
Believe that they have it
Start speaking words and sentences according to their faith.

When I have taken people through those steps of faith in a relaxed and quiet environment, they have never failed to speak their own unique language as the Holy Spirit gave the inspiration.

While I was typing this, I feel it is important that when they use their faith to start speaking in tongues, they don't start with syllables, because they can limit themselves to the "ba ba ba" type. Language is made up of words and sentences and spoken with expression from the heart to God, and not just stuff babbled from the mouth. Also, tongues is not a "toy" to be used as some sort of religious game. The actual speaking is not as important as the use of it to express to God what is in the heart that one cannot find words in their native language for.

I have found that when I don't know what to pray, I have prayed in tongues and sensed a flow of expression from my heart to God, and often as a result the thoughts and words have come to me in English and I have been able to pray more expressively in English. It seems that praying in tongues releases my spirit in communication with the Lord to not only pray in tongues but in English also.

I have been in prayer meetings where all were praying in tongues, and these have been meaningful and exciting, because everyone is praying at the same time, and then someone prays in English and the others quieten down to express their agreement with the prayer. And I have been in prayer meetings where no one has spoken in tongues, and they have been relatively boring with one person praying in English and the others waiting passively for that person to finish so they can have their turn; and the prayers seem more like lectures to each other than prayers to God. I wonder if the latter type of prayers actually get past the ceiling!

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟795,766.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Speaking in tongues is available to every believer because...
The divers of tongues is a message of tongues with interpretation (edifies the church and often given in the church I Cor 12:10 , I Cor 14:5 ) and prayer language (I Cor 14:2,14-15).

There are numerous purposes for speaking in tongues. This is generally referred to as a prayer language includes he that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself..." I Cor 14:4 + " ...they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God..." Acts 10:46 Also, the church can be edfied with a message of tongues with interpretation..I Cor 14:5

All tongues can be interpreted "Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret." I Cor 14:13.

Tongues are a sign - To unbelievers By believers (I Cor 14:22 and Mark 16:17) So that means any believer can speak in tongues which is given to them by the Holy Spirit. Acts 2:4 Tongues can't be a sign to unbelievers unless they're spoken. They are a sign of believers Mark 16:17

There's 6500 languages - . And some are clicks. Think we can trust Him to use the one He wants

Last edited:
Upvote 0