United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
She is saying many of the same sounds repeated.

I'm not saying that the gift doesn't happen but:
1) I had someone I knew who spoke in tongues 20 years ago tell me that they had made it up but say now they really speak in tongues since having the baptism of fire of the Holy Spirit. Then kept trying to undermine my faith by keep warning me that I'm not saved if I didn't have it. Turns out the person is actually not scared to commit crimes and sin.

2) Other religions have the same effect. Called glossolia or something similar. It isn't unique to Christianity.

3) Brain scans have shown the part responsible for communication shows reduced activity when someone prays in tongues. Interesting video.

4) If it is a gift of the Holy Spirit isn't it to be used to do God's will. How is this video doing that? She isn't praying or worshipping. She isn't being given a message to give and there is no interpreter. Who does this video edify? Maybe the person in the video is a fairly new Christian or something. The Holy Spirit doesn't testify of Himself but reveals Christ and the Father.

Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
The word is glossolalia. Pentacostals believe all Christians speak in tongues when they are saved, but I do not know anyone who did. I believe the Holy Spirit gives some people the gift of tongues but not all of us.

Brain scans are done on people with a different form of glossolalia, in which they repeat what they heard. I can't imagine there are any studies on the brains of Christians who do and do not speak in tongues.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
4) If it is a gift of the Holy Spirit isn't it to be used to do God's will. How is this video doing that? She isn't praying or worshipping. She isn't being given a message to give and there is no interpreter. Who does this video edify? Maybe the person in the video is a fairly new Christian or something. The Holy Spirit doesn't testify of Himself but reveals Christ and the Father.

Agreed. This is not a divinely inspired gift of speaking tobgues. It's clear the person does very much believe it is from God but it's just her doing her best as she believes is correct. There sadly is no wisdom or knowledge being expressed...nothing is being expressed other than random sounds, many repeating over and over.

Unknown tongues is nothing more or less than "foreign languages"...speaking in a language others don't know such as speaking Latin to those who only understand Chinese. Someone is supposed to translate or otherwise don't speak since the people listening won't be able to understand what is being said.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Unknown tongues is nothing more or less than "foreign languages"...speaking in a language others don't know such as speaking Latin to those who only understand Chinese.

1 Corinthians 13:1
If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.

“Tongues of angels” are not human languages.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.

That verse is NOT, repeat NOT, a confirmation that angels DO speak as we understand speech. They are spirits, for one thing, and have neither tongues nor voice boxes.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That verse is NOT, repeat NOT, a confirmation that angels DO speak as we understand speech. They are spirits, for one thing, and have neither tongues nor voice boxes.
Every instance in scripture where it is mentioned, angels all have bodies and can speak to humans.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

Yes they are. Every single time an angel is recorded speaking they were speaking human languages. Never, not a single time does an angel speak in a gibberish sounding "language".

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
https://youtu.be/bSd9T-FZMdk My sister believes she is speaking in tongues. What do you think?
Acts2:4 "And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance." We are told that the Holy Spirit does give "utterance". Paul tells us: "In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans." Romns 8:26

Clearly the Holy Spirit can help us to pray when we do not know how to pray. We also read in Rev 5:8 "Each one had a harp, and they were holding golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints." This seems to indicate that it is not the words we use so much as our prayers are to be a sweet aroma before God. So if we are trying to raise a stink with God. If we are complaining that may not be pleasing to Him. We are to come before God with a grateful heart with praise and thanksgiving.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes they are. Every single time an angel is recorded speaking they were speaking human languages. Never, not a single time does an angel speak in a gibberish sounding "language".
And why would they record something in a language they do not understand?

Was there any transliteration for the various languages being spoken in Acts 2? No.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
And why would they record something in a language they do not understand?

They didn't have to because angels are always understandable when they speak. There is no angelic language which sounds like gibberish or random vowels and noises etc.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,617.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"...covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues" I Cor 14

There's a diversity of tongues =
"And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues." (II Cor 12:28) including the edification for the believer (II Cor 14:4) and the church such as the gift of tongues with interpretation (II Cor 14:5).

Tongues are a sign TO unbelievers OF believers. (I Cor 14:22 and Mark 16:17).

With the groups that received tongues in Scripture, it states "all" that were there received (Acts 4:31; 10:44-46; 19:2-6). With tongues, they magnified God (Acts 10:42).

"They were all filled and equipped with the Holy Spirit and were inspired to speak in tongues—empowered by the Spirit to speak in languages they had never learned!," Acts 2 TPT

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
They didn't have to because angels are always understandable when they speak. There is no angelic language which sounds like gibberish or random vowels and noises etc.
Always? When they are NOT communicating with humans?
Prove it.

Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
I have heard some pretty odd sounding natural human languages.
Tongues is not only speaking unknown to the speaker human languages, it is also speaking angelic languages. And what you might hear as odd gibberish, could just be repetition in that language of a phrase.

There certainly are lot of different tongues (languages) worldwide, and the angels also can speak them all and also their own, whatever it might be.

1 Corinthians 13:1 [ The Greatest Gift ] Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal.

Upvote 0

fwGod

Dec 19, 2005
✟65,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There are plenty of scriptures that contradict that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

fwGod

Dec 19, 2005
✟65,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Such as "And as he lay and slept under a juniper tree, behold, then an angel touched him, and said unto him, Arise and eat." I Kings 19:6

But there's no explanation of how they accomplish speaking.
As I understand it, there would be no difference between how angels speak, and how humans speak. That should be understood from the verse in 1Cor.13:1 "There are tongues of men and tongues of angels."

Upvote 0

fwGod

Dec 19, 2005
✟65,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
No, there aren't (which is probably why advocates of that theory never turn to them whenever this subject gets argued out. ;))
Apparently you think that just saying "no there aren't" is providing some authority to your opinion?

There has been one scripture presented that proves your opinion to be wrong.

But, you still deny. Not acknowledging those no doubt many others who took the time to reply to a denier like you, and give several verses from the Bible (found by doing online research) to prove that there are many.

I've seen it happen before. Deniers deny anyway. So you know what. I'm not going to spend my time doing what would be pointless.
I'll let the one verse that's already been given stand and give testimony against your claim.

To continue to claim that there are none is going into self deception and self delusion. So enjoy yourself with that.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Apparently you think that just saying "no there aren't" is providing some authority to your opinion?
I was stating a fact and giving you the opportunity to provide us with the "plenty of scriptures" that you say teach otherwise.

There has been one scripture presented that proves your opinion to be wrong.
Hmm. So I guess it's not "plenty of scriptures" after all.

Deniers deny anyway. So you know what. I'm not going to spend my time doing what would be pointless.
You don't have much choice, do you?

Upvote 0