Jul 9, 2015
Australia
✟15,527.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hey everyone,
I know this question would be more suitable in a Pentecostal forum or something but I feel safer posting here...

Can someone explain to me (preferably from past experience) what the modern/protestant based understanding of speaking in tongues is?

I was watching some people on videos online, and it just like they're speaking gibberish...

Surely this is not what the bible says is speaking in tongues? Or am I wrong? I always thought it had to do with the Holy Spirit bestowing the disciples with the gift of other languages at Pentecost so that they could preach in foreign lands.... But again I'm not sure it's not something I've really delved into with bible study.

I've never had first hand experience of it at my old church, though many have told me they have 'spoken in tongues' before, to me it's really odd and makes me uncomfortable, it draws a similar impression to that 'automatic writing' thing...

Would love to hear your thoughts.

Kindly,
Nicole :)

Nikti

Jul 9, 2015
Australia
✟15,527.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hey everyone,
I know this question would be more suitable in a Pentecostal forum or something but I feel safer posting here...

Can someone explain to me (preferably from past experience) what the modern/protestant based understanding of speaking in tongues is?

Actually rephrase:

What is the EO understanding of speaking in tongues? And how does it differ from the typical evangelical/Pentecostal understanding?

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
What is the EO understanding of speaking in tongues? And how does it differ from the typical evangelical/Pentecostal understanding?

it is used to spread the Gospel when there is a language barrier just like in Acts. there is also another gift of interpretation that someone other than those speaking in tongues would be blessed with. so it is for a purpose and not just busting into gibberish during Church.

Upvote 0

Dialogist

Jul 22, 2015
✟8,545.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hey everyone,

I was watching some people on videos online, and it just like they're speaking gibberish...

Surely this is not what the bible says is speaking in tongues? Or am I wrong? I always thought it had to do with the Holy Spirit bestowing the disciples with the gift of other languages at Pentecost so that they could preach in foreign lands.... But again I'm not sure it's not something I've really delved into with bible study.

I've never had first hand experience of it at my old church, though many have told me they have 'spoken in tongues' before, to me it's really odd and makes me uncomfortable, it draws a similar impression to that 'automatic writing' thing...

Would love to hear your thoughts.

Kindly,
Nicole :)

Excerpts from the essay "Charismatic Revival As a Sign of the Times", by Father Seraphim Rose:

Speaking in tongues has a decidedly minor significance, serving as a sign of the descent of the Holy Spirit on the Day of Pentecost (Acts 2) and on two other occasions (Acts 10 and 19). After the first or perhaps the second century there is no record of it in any Orthodox source, and it is not recorded as occurring even among the great Fathers of the Egyptian desert, who were so filled with the Spirit of God that they performed numerous astonishing miracles, including raising the dead. The Orthodox attitude to genuine speaking in tongues, then, may be summed up in the words of Blessed Augustine (Homilies on John, VI:10): "In the earliest times "the Holy Spirit fell upon them that believed, and they spake with tongues" which they had not learned, "as the Spirit gave them utterance." These were signs adapted to the time. For it was fitting that there be this sign of the Holy Spirit in all tongues to show that the Gospel of God was to run through all tongues over the whole earth. That was done for a sign, and it passed away." And as if to answer contemporary Pentecostals with their strange emphasis on this point, Augustine continues: "Is it now expected that they upon whom hands are laid, should speak with tongues? Or when we imposed our hand upon these children, did each of you wait to see whether they would speak with tongues? And when he saw that they did not speak with tongues, was any of you so perverse of heart as to say, 'These have not received the Holy Spirit'?"

Modern Pentecostals, to justify their use of tongues, refer most of all to St. Paul's First Epistle to the Corinthians (chs. 12-14). But St. Paul wrote this passage precisely because 'tongues' had become a source of disorder in the Church of Corinth; and even while he does not forbid them, he decidedly minimizes their significance. This passage, therefore, far from encouraging any modern revival of "tongues," should on the contrary discourage it‹especially when one discovers (as Pentecostals themselves admit) that there are other sources of speaking in tongues besides the Holy Spirit! As Orthodox Christians we already know that speaking in tongues as a true gift of the Holy Spirit cannot appear among those outside the Church of Christ; but let us look more closely at this modern phenomenon and see if it possesses characteristics that might reveal from what source it does come.

Far from being given freely and spontaneously, without man's interference - as are the true gifts of the Holy Spirit- speaking in tongues can be caused to occur quite predictably by a regular technique of concentrated group "prayer" accompanied by psychologically suggestive Protestant hymns ("He comes! He comes!"), culminating in a "laying on of hands," and sometimes involving such purely physical efforts as repeating a given phrase over and over again (Koch, p. 24), or just making sounds with the mouth. One person admits that, like many others, after speaking in tongues, "I often did mouth nonsense syllables in an effort to start the flow of prayer-in-tongues" (Sherrill, p. 127); and such efforts, far from being discouraged, are actually advocated by Pentecostals. "Making sounds with the mouth is not 'speaking-in-tongues,' but it may signify an honest act of faith, which the Holy Spirit will honor by giving that person the power to speak in another language" (Harper, p. 11). Another Protestant pastor says: "The initial hurdle to speaking in tongues, it seems, is simply the realization that you must 'speak forth'...The first syllables and words may sound strange to your ear... They may be halting and inarticulate. You may have the thought that you are just making it up. But as you continue to speak in faith... the Spirit will shape for you a language of prayer and praise" (Christenson, p. 130). A Jesuit "theologian" tells how he put such advice into practice: "After breakfast I felt almost physically drawn to the chapel where I sat down to pray. Following Jim's description of his own reception of the gift of tongues, I began to say quietly to myself "la, la, la, la." To my immense consternation there ensued a rapid movement of tongue and lips accompanied by a tremendous feeling of inner devotion" (Gelpi, p. 1).

One careful and objective study of "speaking in tongues" has been made by the German Lutheran pastor, Dr. Kurt Koch (The Strife of Tongues). After examining hundreds of examples of this "gift" as manifested in the past few years, he came to the conclusion, on Scriptural grounds, that only four of these cases might be the same as the gift described in the Acts of the Apostles; but he was not sure of any of them. The Orthodox Christian, having the full patristic tradition of the Church of Christ behind him, would be more strict in his judgment than Dr. Koch. As against these few possibly positive cases, however, Dr. Koch found a number of cases of undoubted demonic possession - for "speaking in tongues" is in fact a common "gift" of the possessed. But it is in Dr. Koch's final conclusion that we find what is perhaps the clue to the whole movement. He concludes that the "tongues" movement is not at all a "revival," for there is in it little repentance or conviction of sin, but chiefly the search for power and experience; the phenomenon of tongues is not the gift described in the Acts, nor is it (in most cases) actual demonic possession; rather, "it becomes more and more clear that perhaps over 95% of the whole tongues movement is mediumistic in character" (Koch, p. 35).

What is a "medium"? A medium is a person with a certain psychic sensitivity which enables him to be the vehicle or means for the manifestation of unseen forces or beings (where actual beings are involved, as Starets Ambrose of Optina has clearly stated [5], these are always the fallen spirits whose realm this is, and not the "spirits of the dead" imagined by spiritists). Almost all non-Christian religions make large use of mediumistic gifts, such as clairvoyance, hypnosis, "miraculous" healing, the appearance and disappearance of objects as well as their movement from place to place, etc.

Upvote 0

Dialogist

Jul 22, 2015
✟8,545.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Thanks for such a detailed response Dialogist! :)

I forgot to mention that Father Seraphim Rose was an Orthodox Christian monk who was at different times an atheist and eastern spiritualist before he came to Christianity. He studied philosophy at Berkeley before he came to the Church.

Upvote 0

Love Jonezing

Sep 6, 2015
✟15,691.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
No evidence? Are you not getting my previous posts. Do you want me to quote Saint Augustine because you believe all of his words are also inspired? I mean WOW; I can't find the word Trinity in the bible. Would you need more evidence if this were the topic? I just don't understand why you reject the truth. Are you a Catholic? I am Not saying all Catholics reject the truth. I am Just trying to understand your world view.

Upvote 0

Love Jonezing

Sep 6, 2015
✟15,691.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
then you need to reread the Torah, especially when God describes how He wants Israel to worship.
Now, we can understand that that doesn't apply to Christians in the same manner. Show me where Peter or Paul worshiped that way?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Now, we can understand that that doesn't apply to Christians in the same manner. Show me where Peter or Paul worshiped that way?

well, I just said that's how Christ worships. I said nothing about Peter or Paul. where do you see anywhere where there is any evidence that Christians did not worship Liturgically?

Upvote 0

Love Jonezing

Sep 6, 2015
✟15,691.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Matt, Love Jonezing, is the oneness Pentecostal who started the 'One God or Three persons' thread that inspired me to start the other thread about Nicea.
Can you direct me to the other thread? I would like to read it.

Upvote 0

Love Jonezing

Sep 6, 2015
✟15,691.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I will ask you again, what do you read when you read the following statement:

"We are not Roman Catholic."
Earlier you stated, "I/we are not Catholic." Now you change it to say not Roman Catholic. Why? Is orthodox catholic or not?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Love Jonezing

Sep 6, 2015
✟15,691.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
what is "biblical truth" anyways? A JW will tell you something is a "biblical truth" (that Christ is not God) or Mormons will say it's a "biblical truth" that there are more than one God.

So, what is it?
When I say biblical truth, I mean what is written in the canonized version. I do not mean JW or Mormons. They are obviously because they have added to scripture.

Upvote 0