Speaking in Tongues

Status
Not open for further replies.

VCViking

Go ye into all the world, and preach the Gospel...
Oct 21, 2006
United States
✟10,648.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
It is used for the Glory of God and not as an attention getter. It carrys power straight from the Throne.

Sorry but I have seen too many people hurt and misled by this and it is straight out of the pit of Hell and not believed by most Fundamentalists, including the site where the SOF is taken from for the Fundamentalist Forum,

Taken from ITIB Home

Fundamentalists protest first against the most prominent Pentecostal teaching, that speaking in tongues is a sign of the baptism of the Holy Spirit. Fundamentalists are usually "cessationists," Christians who believe that some spiritual gifts, such as speaking in tongues and special acts of healing, ceased at the close of the New Testament era.12 They therefore reject one of the most basic Pentecostal teachings, saying that all believers are baptized by the Spirit (without speaking in tongues) when they are converted.

Even allowing that speaking in tongues is possible, Fundamentalists say that the Pentecostal practice of tongues is not scriptural. For example, in I Corinthians 14:26-32, Paul sets down rules for speaking in tongues in church. There should be no more than two or three people speaking in tongues in a service, and no one should do so if an interpreter is not present. Those who speak should do so in order and not simultaneously. Fundamentalists maintain that these instructions are usually not followed in Pentecostal circles.

A major concern to Fundamentalists is the tendency of some who speak in tongues to consider their utterances a special revelation from God. Fundamentalists (and many other Evangelicals) reject the idea of special revelation apart from the Bible. Paul teaches in II Timothy 3:15-17 that the Scriptures provide everything needed for salvation and Christian living. No extra revelation can be binding on the conscience of a believer. Long before the Pentecostal movement ever arose, John Wesley (whom Pentecostals see as one of their forerunners) warned:

"Give no place to a heated imagination. Do not hastily ascribe things to God. Do not easily suppose dreams, voices, impressions, visions, or revelations to be from God. They may be from him; they may be from nature; they may be from the devil. Therefore "believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they be of God." Try all things by the written word, and let all bow down before it. You are in danger of enthusiasm every hour if you depart ever so little from Scripture; yea, or from the plain literal meaning of any text taken in connection with the context. And so you are if you despise or lightly esteem reason, knowledge, or human learning; every one of which is an excellent gift of God, and may serve the noblest purposes."

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It is no secret that "tongues" have been studied and restudied, and it's been found that faking them is often done. Ever wonder why almost everyone who is committed to the idea that 'if you don't have them, you aren't a complete Christian' can speak in tongues but not drink poison without being hurt?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,063,017.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Sorry but I have seen too many people hurt and misled by this and it is straight out of the pit of Hell and not believed by most Fundamentalists, including the site where the SOF is taken from for the Fundamentalist Forum,

I was brought up in a Northern Baptist church that was very cold, dead and lifeless. Then I came down to a Pentecostal Holiness Church here in Virginia and got acquainted with someone called the Holy Ghost. Great friend and guide he is!

In John Bunyan's book "The Holy War" Emmanuel left mansoul... And no one was aware that he left mansoul. This is true in many churches I believe. The Apostle Paul for one had the bragging rights of God's Spirit...

And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power: - 1 Cor 2:4

Upvote 0

SharonL

Senior Veteran
Oct 15, 2005
Texas
Visit site
✟23,316.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Holy Spirit makes so much difference and I would say to everyone that says they fake tongues - have you tried it - it is impossible unless they say la la la la la -
It saddens me to see people reject this beautiful gift and call it from the pit of Hell - by the way - careful about that - I believe the Bible says that calling something from God as being from satan is blasphemy

Upvote 0

VCViking

Go ye into all the world, and preach the Gospel...
Oct 21, 2006
United States
✟10,648.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I was a member of a Pentecostal churches for several years and saw all the gifts. The Pastor was my wife's uncle. Thankfully, the Lord took us out of there. I know what I speak of for I have experinece in it. I am not an outsider looking in and pointing his finger saying what lunacy. It saddens me that so many people are deceived by this and no, what I say is not blasphemy.

Upvote 0

wcbbplyr

Jul 24, 2012
✟15,121.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
In my congregation there are some bretheren that do this.
It makes me a little uncomfortable and none of them can tell me what they are saying.

Who benefits from this?

My interpretation of scriptures tells me that the speaking of tongues was a one time event.

Your viewing on the Bible on this matter is correct. The same goes for miracles like the dead living again. They were all signs given to the Jews to prove to them Jesus was the Messiah they'd been looking for. The reason those people can't telling what they are saying is because it's gibberish. I speak spanish well. I can tell you that the gibberish they speak doesn't have the fundamental basis for a language. EVERY language has certain part of it that a speaker of another language would pick up on. This gibberish has none of those bases. I grew up in a Pentecostal church. I never heard anything close to a language. thank Gd im Independent Baptist now. By the way, I never signed on to the beliefs of the Pentecostalism. It's all demonic anyway.

Upvote 0

spiritwarrior37

Dec 22, 2006
✟16,096.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
In my congregation there are some bretheren that do this.
It makes me a little uncomfortable and none of them can tell me what they are saying.

Who benefits from this?

My interpretation of scriptures tells me that the speaking of tongues was a one time event.

If this was a one time event, as you believe, then why did Paul in Corinthians say that if someone is speaking in tounges that there should be two or three in the same spirit to interpret? I grew up in a CoG andheard people speaking in tounges quite often. One Sunday the Pastor spoke in tounges, then it got so quiet you could hear a pin drop. Then someone starting interpreting. You could feel the Holy Spirit moving through the church. Every hair on my body was standing up. It almost felt like electricity. I have never felt anything like it since. And Paul also tells us that tounges is a gift that not everyone will receive. Now I dont doubt that some are just doing it to fit in, but that is not for me to judge. I also dont think the gift of tounges has been cut off yet either, for that will not happen until that which is perfect is come. And Christ has not yet returned, as He is the only thing I know of that has ever been perfect.

God bless

Upvote 0

BaptistP

Nov 15, 2011
✟7,634.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
My experience was at a Penticostal Church with my Cousin, I watch a women I don't know just exactly how to decribe what she was doing but she was talking in an unknown way. there was no one to interpet so I did not know what she was doing or saying. My mother was church of God on another service again their was another women my mother called it being in the spirit again there was no one to interpet. I do not know about talking in tongues except what the Bible tells us.

I can't say whether there is a tongue that is language of the lord, I will say this that there is many unknown languages, when someone does not understand in the world, and the day of penticost when people were speaking in tongues so that people that spoke in those tongues understood the gospel being preached. Apostle Paul spoke in tongues but he spoke different languages. I know there are different spirits and the Bible tells of testing the spirits to make sure what those spirit are good or Bad. all I can say is that the unknown language is a language foreign to people, of that nation. The day a Penticost was a miracle of God.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
My experience was at a Penticostal Church with my Cousin, I watch a women I don't know just exactly how to decribe what she was doing but she was talking in an unknown way. there was no one to interpet so I did not know what she was doing or saying. My mother was church of God on another service again their was another women my mother called it being in the spirit again there was no one to interpet. I do not know about talking in tongues except what the Bible tells us.

I can't say whether there is a tongue that is language of the lord, I will say this that there is many unknown languages, when someone does not understand in the world, and the day of penticost when people were speaking in tongues so that people that spoke in those tongues understood the gospel being preached.

But Peter apparently spoke normally and yet was HEARD by the listeners each in his own language. That's a different matter from "speaking in tongues."

Apostle Paul spoke in tongues but he spoke different languages. I know there are different spirits and the Bible tells of testing the spirits to make sure what those spirit are good or Bad. all I can say is that the unknown language is a language foreign to people, of that nation. The day a Penticost was a miracle of God.

But you'd agree, wouldn't you, that is has to actually be a language, not barkings, whistles, and a series of one-syllable sounds like LA MA KA BA A LA LA, etc.?

Upvote 0

Jonathan95

Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Sweden
✟19,477.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
But Peter apparently spoke normally and yet was HEARD by the listeners each in his own language. That's a different matter from "speaking in tongues."

But you'd agree, wouldn't you, that is has to actually be a language, not barkings, whistles, and a series of one-syllable sounds like LA MA KA BA A LA LA, etc.?

Well what you described above seems to be another thing that what is said here:

1 Cor 14:2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

Used in prayer times with God. It says "speaketh not unto men" "no man understandeth him". It means it's no earthly language?

27 If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret.

28 But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.

Some say it needs an interpreter too.

4 "He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself..."

18 I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all:

Paul said that.. keep in mind he was in prison too. So it's used in prayer time with God. I've heard of someone having Spanish words in their tongues when praying.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Well what you described above seems to be another thing that what is said here:

1 Cor 14:2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

Used in prayer times with God. It says "speaketh not unto men" "no man understandeth him". It means it's no earthly language?

27 If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret.

28 But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.

Some say it needs an interpreter too.

4 "He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself..."

18 I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all:

Paul said that.. keep in mind he was in prison too. So it's used in prayer time with God. I've heard of someone having Spanish words in their tongues when praying.

I appreciate your comments. What I meant, however, was that IF there are more than one kind of languages, and one of them is a prayer language, doesn't it have to qualify as a...language? We can't just apply the word to any utterance at all, can we?

I do not see how babbling--sorry, but that's what some of it is--can count as any kind of language. That's not to say that there cannot be something like a prayer language.

Upvote 0

Wayaok

Jul 16, 2012
✟7,815.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I appreciate your comments. What I meant, however, was that IF there are more than one kind of languages, and one of them is a prayer language, doesn't it have to qualify as a...language? We can't just apply the word to any utterance at all, can we?

I do not see how babbling--sorry, but that's what some of it is--can count as any kind of language. That's not to say that there cannot be something like a prayer language.

I do not speak in tongues, but having read all posts in this thread my heart is touched by the testimonies and comments from SharonL, Rockytopva, AllforHisglory, Mantelofaprophet, Jonathan95, tturt and Spiritwarrior37. Those voicing their displeasure seem to be more of a mocking reply and generally not exhibiting brotherly or sisterly love.

I was in a Bible study and one evening it was announced that Kieth and Dawn wouldn't be attending anymore. I always thought Kieth was just the neatest Christian believer and was disappointed they wouldn't be coming any more. Then the leader of the Bible study said that Kieth had started speaking in tongues earlier that week. It was felt he may be a bad influence on the rest of us. To this day I can only imagine how heart-broken he must have been by being excluded from the Bible study by believers that had been some of his best friends.

My experience is once hearing a worshipper in the pew in front of me all of a sudden speaking in beautiful way with a language I didn't understand. It wasn't loud as I could barely hear the sounds. I was standing right behind and a little to the side while the congregation was standing, singing and worshipping. To me it seemed like a well spring that was just intermittenly bubbling up out of this person's mouth.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I do not speak in tongues, but having read all posts in this thread my heart is touched by the testimonies and comments from SharonL, Rockytopva, AllforHisglory, Mantelofaprophet, Jonathan95, tturt and Spiritwarrior37. Those voicing their displeasure seem to be more of a mocking reply and generally not exhibiting brotherly or sisterly love.

I was in a Bible study and one evening it was announced that Kieth and Dawn wouldn't be attending anymore. I always thought Kieth was just the neatest Christian believer and was disappointed they wouldn't be coming any more. Then the leader of the Bible study said that Kieth had started speaking in tongues earlier that week. It was felt he may be a bad influence on the rest of us. To this day I can only imagine how heart-broken he must have been by being excluded from the Bible study by believers that had been some of his best friends.

My experience is once hearing a worshipper in the pew in front of me all of a sudden speaking in beautiful way with a language I didn't understand. It wasn't loud as I could barely hear the sounds. I was standing right behind and a little to the side while the congregation was standing, singing and worshipping. To me it seemed like a well spring that was just intermittenly bubbling up out of this person's mouth.

The problem comes when you mistake sincerity for truth. It is more than possible for wonderfully sincere, Godly, and loving people to have been misled.

I know that it's hard to separate the belief from the believers in debates such as this one, but fairness demands that we do just that and not assume that those with valid concerns about SOME of this material are therefore hostile or uncharitable merely because they differ in their conclusions.

Upvote 0

Wayaok

Jul 16, 2012
✟7,815.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The problem comes when you mistake sincerity for truth. It is more than possible for wonderfully sincere, Godly, and loving people to have been misled.
That works both ways.

I didn't detect any of the kind of mocking or ridicule from those that believe tongues are still available for today's believers as well as other Spiritual gifts. Well, there was that one comment by SharonL, but there was a check in her spirit, so she didn't finish the scripture. I admire her and the others for not being what I would call as vindictive as those that think tongues is demonic activity.

There was another time I witnessed this tongue speaking when about twenty high school teens were at the altar. As the pastor moved down the line he stood in front of a girl that began sharing her heart’s desire that her family would accept Christ as Savior. You had such a witness in your spirit of her deep love for Jesus and how much she wanted her parents and siblings to experience that same love. There was no one falling down or shaking and the pastor didn't put his hand on her head and give her a push.

Every once in awhile she would blurt out a few tongue words as if she were a child learning a new language. During this time (less than a minute) when she was crying out to God she would also speak in English, but every once in awhile you would hear other sounds/words that I would describe as what some call divinely inspired tongue words.

There was such an overwhelming sense in my spirit of how much this teenager was pleading her case to God. In fact I don't remember hearing such a heart's cry before or since as from this teenager (mid 90s). Then the atmosphere seemed to change as if God was now comforting her as she started to Praise God (in English) with such a bold conviction in her voice.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
That works both ways.

I didn't detect any of the kind of mocking or ridicule from those that believe tongues are still available for today's believers as well as other Spiritual gifts. Well, there was that one comment by SharonL, but there was a check in her spirit, so she didn't finish the scripture. I admire her and the others for not being what I would call as vindictive as those that think tongues is demonic activity.

Perhaps no charges of demonic activity but a LOT of pushback against any criticism at all--or sometimes even asking a question. My personal disappointment in all of this is that these Pentecostals simply will not entertain a discussion, yet they're on a discussion board!

If one so much as suggests that there are some people who either are mistaken about their gifts or else that there are some people who actually fake it because that's what the church wants or some other such reason, he is denounced and accused of dark motives. Now really...there is no doubt whatever that there are people claiming to be gifted who are not. Why should a mention of that instantly be thought of as an attack on everyone who says he speaks in tongues etc.?

There was another time I witnessed this tongue speaking when about twenty high school teens were at the altar. As the pastor moved down the line he stood in front of a girl that began sharing her heart’s desire that her family would accept Christ as Savior. You had such a witness in your spirit of her deep love for Jesus and how much she wanted her parents and siblings to experience that same love. There was no one falling down or shaking and the pastor didn't put his hand on her head and give her a push.

Every once in awhile she would blurt out a few tongue words as if she were a child learning a new language. During this time (less than a minute) when she was crying out to God she would also speak in English, but every once in awhile you would hear other sounds/words that I would describe as what some call divinely inspired tongue words.
Although that's the way you would describe it, wouldn't you also allow as there is also the POSSIBILITY that she could have simply been emotionally carried away? There's no criticism in that. Emotion is genuine. Emotion is very human. Some of the greatest of the saints had mystical experiences, BUT I'm sure this will be seen as hostile across the board.

Upvote 0

Wayaok

Jul 16, 2012
✟7,815.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

The building of the Tower of Babel and the Confusion of Tongues (languages) in ancient Babylon is often associated with the English word babble. Ok, so we all agree there are thousands of languages and some even sound like babbling to us. So, doesn't it stand to reason that it's possible that there is/are heavenly language(s). And that God can entrust a heavenly 'tongue' to at least some of His children through the regeneration of His Spirit to those that are abiding in Christ and Christ in them? However, some here believe that God doesn't have any heavenly language(s) He would entrust to a born again believer in Christ Jesus.

Luke 17:21
nor will they say, ‘See here!’ or ‘See there!’ For indeed, the kingdom of God is within you.”
1 Cor. 3:16 Don't you know that you yourselves are God's temple and that God's Spirit lives in you?
1 Cor. 6:19 Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own;

2 Cor. 6:16 For we are the temple of the living God.

The majority of us agree that Paul isn’t implying that today’s Christians don’t have need any more for God’s supernatural gifts such as knowledge, wisdom, discerning of spirits, or speaking in another language. So why not all the gifts being just as relevant today as with the early church (before man made organized Christianity).

Paul is looking ahead to the second coming of Christ in the following scriptures.

1 Cor 7:31 …
For this world in its present form is passing away.
1 Cor 13:8 ... Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away.

Most all of us believe that the supernatural gift of speaking in an unknown foreign language by a born again believer is possible, for example as a witness for salvation … so why not the other gifts? Why would a born again believer put limits on what gifts God can give and what gifts you think are inappropriate?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hermeneutico

Orthodox-Pentecostal
Aug 6, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
✟18,882.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Prayer language as a form of tongues is not supported scripturally.

So, are you saying that speaking in tongues isn't to be used to pray to God? Just need to understand what you are trying to say.

Respectfully

Upvote 0

Hermeneutico

Orthodox-Pentecostal
Aug 6, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
✟18,882.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Well I think everyone above is agreeing with you that there is counterfeit.

However it's in the bible, e.g Acts chapter 2 where all the believers spoke in tongues. So there is a real part too.

Those who deny what you are saying are what I refer to as "pragmatic liberals." Regular liberals cut out portions of Scripture based upon intellectualism. Pragmatic liberals cut out portions of Scripture that they say are not practiced today. Both of them undermine the authority of God's Word IMHO.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.