Heart of Dixie
Visit site
✟29,976.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Lil_One,
No, this is the heavenly language. We do not understand it, yet but good thing about it is neither does the enemy. :D
If we are speaking in tongues delivering a message to The Body of Christ, then interpretation must be present according to The Word of God. If it is a message from the Lord HE will provide the interpretation. The language of heaven is a more wonderful way to praise and worship Him. Have you ever wished their were more words in the language to express how incredible HE is? The heavenly language does that. I loved what I heard one man of God say, "There are no curse words and no evil words, you cannot 'say the wrong thing' in your heavenly language for it is the language of God! Heart to heart!" This really is a blessing to me. Hope it helps you dear one!
{{{HUG}}}
~Cyberwing

Upvote 0
Hi there,
Tongues are used predominantly for what I can see in the bible, for sharing with people who can't understand your native language. Now I may be wrong, but this is what I see. Tongues can be used with or without interpretation. Sometimes you may all of a sudden be able to witness to someone in German, lets say, and you've never known German before. This is just the Holy Spirit talking through you. God is witnessing to someone using you as the vessel. Also, tongues can be used in private, just talking to God, and far be it from me to even try to interpret any of that. I have heard people pray in tongues in churches, but i believe the aforementioned ocasions are more likely to be the use for such a gift. As I said, I may be wrong, but this is what I am led to believe.

God Bless
Karl

Upvote 0

wonder111

Love is the message!
Jul 24, 2003
Visit site
✟9,948.00
Faith
Christian
I've posted this before, but I had learned to pray in tongues before I knew what it was. I had been going through some really hard times during university, and before I went to bed one night, I was trying to relax and I guess I was praying also, but all of a sudden I felt this overwhelming loving presence and it was so powerful. I began crying and speaking in a different language. I felt like a giant weight had been taken off my shoulders And I have to admit, my conscious mind thought I was crazy, but it was so perfect I can't explain, the words just came out like I knew this language. I later found out from a friend that many people do this, and I didn't think I was so weird after all :)

about knowing what you are saying, I don't know consciously, but my spirit knows, sometimes I feel this incredible urge to pray about something, sometimes its a very peaceful feeling, sometimes I feel like this part of me knows what's being said. But it is a great way to pray to God without our own little minds getting in the way. However sometimes I go back and forth, sometimes I start praying a conscious prayer and it will lead into praying in tongues.

sorry if my ramblings are confusing!
PEACE!
Michelle

Upvote 0

Lyle

I am last minute stuff
Nov 12, 2003
Home
Visit site
✟11,640.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
lil_one said:
Was just wondering when you are speaking in tongues do you understand what you are saying?
I know its a language between yourself and God but do you know what you are saying?
Sorry if its a silly question!!!
Note though, that Paul says it is better to speak in a way that people can understand you, then in tounges (other languages as it means in that passage). The 'speaking in tougnes' that people claim to possess now is not the same kind as in Acts... In Acts when they spoke everyone heard it in their own language... yet later on after the Word had spread throughout the land and that ceased... The Corinthians began to pick up 'speaking in tounges' as we know it today... Which is nothing more then speaking in another language.
Not only does Paul say it's not profitable, but we should strive to teach and speak in a way that men understand.... I could speak all I want in other languages, but it won't do any good to God, Christ, or other Christians if I do... We are called to admonish and lift up eachother, to encourage and pray for. Such a practice goes against these because all it is is a chrade to immpress men..... Does that make any sense?

Upvote 0

Lyle

I am last minute stuff
Nov 12, 2003
Home
Visit site
✟11,640.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Another problem is that it goes totally off of emotions (as do many other such things)... When people feel the Spirit of God come upon them, and they are anoited, they perform such things... In no way is this Biblical, for God's Spirit is with us always, impowering us. it's not somehting that can be put on us by another, but only put in us by God. The Holy Spirit is there if we feel Him or not, even if we fall into sin He is still there... He will never leave us...

Again 'speaking in tounges' is good for nothing. Cannot God understand in all languages? All it does is cause confussion amoung the others of the body...

Upvote 0

pmarquette

Nov 17, 2003
Auburn , IL.
Visit site
✟8,938.00
Faith
Protestant
Not only does Paul say it's not profitable, but we should strive to teach and speak in a way that men understand....
CONTEXT ! children of God / Context of verse in chapter , in book , in epistle ..... Paul is not agaist praying in tongues , he is against doing the right thing at the wrong time , or the wrong thing at the wrong time [ the abuse of the gift ].

He says " prophecy " , within church , is a greater gift , for it edifies [ builds up morally and spiritually ] all the members of the body .

Tongues are a " sign and wonder " to unbelievers ; a way to strenghten ourselves [ in prayer ] ; a way to let the Spirit pray for you ; a means to achieve other gifts , during trial [ words of knowledge and wisdom - what and when to do , how to respond ].

Reactions: wonder111
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

gimh_12

Oct 6, 2004
Brisbane
✟112.00
Faith
Pentecostal
just are there are different dialects in different languages in the world, there are different dialects in the heavenly language. so there is like a german kinda soounding one and a chinese sounding one and so forth i have heard them my self.
satan can understand any earthly tongue and therefore can work against what is being said but he cannot understand the heavenly language and so does not know what we are saying to god when we speak it. it is your spirit talking to god. out minds do not play a part in speaking this language it just comes out naturally from our heart. what we say in this language is what is on our heart at that moment. it is a gift from god and it does not have to come naturally like it does to some people there are two other ways the bible says: one is when people lay hands on you and pray for it to come into your life and the other is spending time with people who can already speak it like they would be praying in tongues while you are praying about whatever is on your heart at that time and eventually whether it would take a year or a week or whatever it would come upon you if you are filled with the holy spirit and right with god etc. it is an amazing gift and pentecostal christians speak it so the devil cannot interfere and for other reasons ofcourase but that is one reason. tongues can be used with or without interpretation because it sayd in corinthians that at your church meeting you may speak in tongues in front of the congregation but if there is no translater then you must go and pray in tongues by yourself. you do but dont know what you are saying you know that you are praying what is on your heart and you know what is on your heart but you dont really know the exac words you are saying as such.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LegomasterJC

Sep 9, 2004
Tallahassee Florida
Visit site
✟8,621.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Those are good points about tongues not being useful to the church but some of you left out what comes after that. Paul says "unless with inturpretation" and he was talking about speaking in tongues out loud. As a prayer language, it is very useful. You don't understand what you are saying but you are keeping your spirit in tune with God. When you pray in tongues pray with your mind also. I pray in tongues while I pray with my mind at the same time unless my mind is preoccupied with something I am doing and my tongues keep on going. Someone said that tongues comes from a feeling which is not true. tongues comes from the HS and He gives it to those who ask and believe. Someone said it is not the same as it was then. There are different types of Tongues which happened then and also still happen now. One type is when the HS speaks through you and people of another language hear it as their own. This one helps unbelievers or those with low amounts of faith because it shows them that God trandsends language barriers and lack of inturpreters. Another is when someone speaks outloud in tongues and either that same person or another person is given inturpretation to it by the Lord to speak out. This is the one that edifies the church. Those are the two outloud Spiritual Tongues not just different languages. The other type of tongue is the prayer language which as I said connects one's spirit with God just like regular prayer without your mind [or feelings] get in the way. Praying with your mind and out loud is important but if you are not lead by the spirit, you can pray asking for things that are not the will of God. One can also be led by the spirit to speak in plain language for what truely needs to be said by God's standards, the same goes for praying.

Upvote 0

apadilla

More Jesus!!!, Less Religion!!!
Jul 26, 2004
Bedford, TX
Visit site
✟1,298.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
We should PRAY!
P - praise
R - repent
A - ask
Y - yield to GOD!!!

Speaking in tongues is a spiritual gift!!!
I believe that many of us christians try to accomplish certain gifts from GOD, that we forget that GOD has given each of us one already.
We must PRAY and ask GOD to make us better christians.
GOD will reveal his gift to each of us eventually.

FIND GOD's PURPOSE FOR YOUR LIFE!!!

Upvote 0

issa

pray for the peace of Jerusalem
Sep 21, 2004
Ortigas
✟20,936.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
[bible]1 Corinthians 14:23[/bible]

we are not forbidden from speaking in tongues but we refrain from doing so in our church because it might cause unbelievers to stumble. i am honestly a bit disturbed when someone prays in tongues in a group but i do not discourage those who do. in minor differences, we show love.

some of my friends pray in tongues and i think it edifies them or builds them up. i havent personally tried it though and cannot recommend it to new believers. i believe it would be better to spend the first year growing in the word and helping in the ministry and learning to witness because these are essential things that will help the new believer mature. leave the more complicated things for later...

Upvote 0

bshaw96

Oct 19, 2004
NC
✟15,799.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, Im not gonna engage in all the debate and rhetoric on here but give you my personal experience. I grew up in a holiness church, heard it all the time, scared me silly, lol. Then, as a teenager, new Christian, I went to a church that actually got a bunch of us together and tried to "teach us" to speak in tongues. Even as a new Christian, I felt that was just wrong. Then, 10 years later, when going through a very difficult time, I began praying a very desparate, out of serious pain, prayer for intervention. I suddenly began speaking in tongues. I have no idea what I said, but will say I felt a physical weight lifted off of me. There's no doubt in my mind it was God and it was real. It's only happened about 4 or 5 times since then, but always accompanied by what felt like God's arms wrapping around me, and a feeling of weight beign taken from me. It is AWESOME! Nothing like what I was brought up seeing it as.

Upvote 0

Endure2

Veteran
May 1, 2004
Georgia
✟16,766.00
Faith
Marital Status
Single
uhm...
what about in 1 cor 14.2,14

v2 for he that speaks in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him, howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

a few key points.

1. no it does not have to be a tongue that is relevant to any culture or person, it does not have to be a naturaly known tongue, it doesnt have to be something someone understands. it can be anUNKNOWN tongue.
paul said if he spoke with the tongues of men AND ANGELS...
who would understand those tongues? nobody, but its possible.
no it does not have to be clearly understood by anyone. there are times when NO MAN UNDERSTANDS... BUT YOU STILL SPEAK MYSTERIES or profound revelations from God.

2. and just because it is not interpreted does not mean its not from God...

becuase first of all, it isnt always meant for people to hear or be told of, because it says you are speaking NOT UNTO MEN, BUT UNTO GOD...
and even beyond that paul said in verse 13 that we must PRAY THAT WE MAY INTERPRET.... that means that just becuase there isnt an intepretation, doesnt mean it wasnt God... it could mean no one got the interpretation becuase no one prayed. though if you can forsee that happening... dont stand up and give a message in tongues.

3. it isnt always meant for anyone else to hear anyway. sometimes it not for anyone but you and God, thats why it says its NOT UNTO MEN, BUT UNTO GOD... sometimes its just you praying alone to God.
its common sense that you dont need to doit places that it can cause confusion.

4. there is a purpose in it, even if it isnt before people or interpreted to a church... becuase in v4 it says it EDIFIES YOU... which is something not to be taken as trivial, you surely need that. its the most powerful kind of prayer you can pray when you are at your wits end and have no idea what to do or say or ask God for.

5. there can be a diffrence between speaking in tongues, and prophecying in tongues.... when tongues are meant as prophecy and to be interpretted before a church like verse 28 says, its one thing...
but when you do what verse 2 and 14-15 say... its something totally diffrent.
sometimes it between you and God, sometimes it for everyone and needs to be interpretted, and sometimes its not.

look at verse 14
v14 for if i pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.

there is such a thing as a tongue prayer language that God gives you for your personal time alone with him, that lifts your spirit and helps you when you know not how to pray. this is a blessing. this is wonderful. and just becuase you dont understand all of what your praying it isnt wrong, becuase its natural for your understanding to be unfruitful.
though you can ask and have God show you the meaning of what you were praying, i guess this is the best way to doit, paul said this is what he would prefer to do in v15. since we can pray that we may interpret as it says in v13.

but its a given,
you dont need to bless the food at a restaurant outloud in tongues.
or have your whole church burst out in their prayer languages when you know very well there are lots of unbelievers present.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.