Quiet Storm

Back in Shepherd's arms
Aug 19, 2002
Howard University
Visit site
✟1,269.00
Faith
Christian
Hey, everybody. I need to know one more thing about speaking in tongues for those who have already: What does it feel like? Because although I'm a silent prayer, sometimes I silently mouth words, and a few weeks ago I thought that I may have been speaking in tongues. It didn't feel like I expected it to (like your tongue feeling light and fluttering on its own); it felt the opposite.... like it was a ton of steel and was difficult to move but moved at the same time. If it is, I honestly thought it was uncomfortable. Not because it made me feel uncomfortable but it.....didn't feel relaxed. And I also didn't care for it because I like to understand what I'm saying in a conversation with God and with it happening every ten seconds, it seems like a burden more than anything. Not a burden, but you know what I mean?

OLDoMiNiON

Feb 20, 2003
The North!
Visit site
✟8,108.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
i believe that speaking in tongues is not meant to be understood by yourself. It's a way, for your spirit to talk to God without any interference from your mind! :) It is a a way for your spirit to talk to God about things that you cannont express by way or your own words, or language.

Doing so should not be a burden, it should be a release! It is the holy spirit speaking through you, and building you up. In the Bible it says that we should do it regularly, to help build us up, and edified! It is a gift from God!

Acts 2:4
All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit enabled them.

1 Corinthians 13:1
If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal.

1 Corinthians 14:5
I would like every one of you to speak in tongues but I would rather have you prophesy. He who prophesies is greater than one who speaks in tongues, unless he interprets, so that the church may be edified.

1 Corinthians 14:6
Now, brothers, if I come to you and speak in tongues, what good will I be to you, unless I bring you some revelation or knowledge or prophecy or word of instruction?

1 Corinthians 14:39
Therefore, my brothers, be eager to prophesy, and do not forbid speaking in tongues.

In private it should be an unknown prayer to God, and you should feel better for doing it.
In public (i.e. in a meeting), it should always have an interpretation, and will be a prophesy/revelation/encouragement to the people who hear it!

These are gifts, don't be scared of them, welcome them! But at the same time, don't strive too much to get them, and end up missing the main point in life, and thats to love, and server God! Let the holy spirit work in you, and when you he is ready he will bless you with one or more of the gifts!

Njoy ;)
Chris

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Heavy lean toward Messianic
Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Well. . .while speaking in tongues should not be burdonsome, it also is not necessarily all fluttery and light. Sometimes you must purpose to let the Holy Spirit speak through you and it is not necessarily comfortable.

This part of your prayer time is for the Holy Spirit to speak to Jesus regarding what you need (Rom 8:26-28) It is also a time where you are praising God and worshipping in a language that is known to God only. And also, praying for others for things that the Spirit knows but you do not need to know.

Sometimes as you pray in tongues different thoughts will come through your mind and I use that as a tool to pray in english for whatever the thought is that went through my mind. Then when you run out of words in english start speaking in tongues again.

As scripture points out you should also seek to intrepret and you can intrepret what you speak. As I see it . . .when you're praying in tongues and those thoughts come into your head that is a form of interpretation and while you may not know exact details, you sense enough to know the direction in which to pray.

Just keep on doin' what you're doin' and don't allow the enemy to cause you to be distracted.

Blessings,

Quaffer

Upvote 0

unitedistand

Crying for the Bridegroom
Nov 21, 2002
a house
Visit site
✟443.00
Faith
Non-Denom
shout, not necessarily for all believers. Check it out: 1 corinthians 12:29, 30 

29 [Are] all apostles? [are] all prophets? [are] all teachers? [are] all workers of miracles? 

30 Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret? 

The gifts of the Holy spirit are for all believers, but not all of the gifts of the holy spirit will be in operation for the believers. It's as the Holy Spirit wills for each person (1 cor 12:4-13).

ex: my mom has helps, but I have tongues, prophecy, miracles, faith, word of wisdom, healing and discearnment (probably more, but that's what I do know offhand).

Upvote 0

OLDoMiNiON

Feb 20, 2003
The North!
Visit site
✟8,108.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
1 Cor 12:

27Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it.
28And in the church God has appointed first of all apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then workers of miracles, also those having gifts of healing, those able to help others, those with gifts of administration, and those speaking in different kinds of tongues. 29Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles?
30Do all have gifts of healing? Do all speak in tongues ? Do all interpret?
31But eagerly desire the greater gifts.
And now I will show you the most excellent way.

Gifts of Prophecy and Tongues

1Follow the way of love and eagerly desire spiritual gifts, especially the gift of prophecy.
2For anyone who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God. Indeed, no one understands him; he utters mysteries with his spirit.
3But everyone who prophesies speaks to men for their strengthening, encouragement and comfort.
4He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself, but he who prophesies edifies the church.
5I would like every one of you to speak in tongues, but I would rather have you prophesy. He who prophesies is greater than one who speaks in tongues, unless he interprets, so that the church may be edified.
6Now, brothers, if I come to you and speak in tongues, what good will I be to you, unless I bring you some revelation or knowledge or prophecy or word of instruction?
7Even in the case of lifeless things that make sounds, such as the flute or harp, how will anyone know what tune is being played unless there is a distinction in the notes?
8Again, if the trumpet does not sound a clear call, who will get ready for battle?
9So it is with you. Unless you speak intelligible words with your tongue, how will anyone know what you are saying? You will just be speaking into the air.
10Undoubtedly there are all sorts of languages in the world, yet none of them is without meaning.
11If then I do not grasp the meaning of what someone is saying, I am a foreigner to the speaker, and he is a foreigner to me.
12So it is with you. Since you are eager to have spiritual gifts, try to excel in gifts that build up the church.
13For this reason anyone who speaks in a tongue should pray that he may interpret what he says.
14For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my mind is unfruitful.
15So what shall I do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my mind; I will sing with my spirit, but I will also sing with my mind.
16If you are praising God with your spirit, how can one who finds himself among those who do not understand say "Amen" to your thanksgiving, since he does not know what you are saying?
17You may be giving thanks well enough, but the other man is not edified.
18I thank God that I speak in tongues more than all of you.
19But in the church I would rather speak five intelligible words to instruct others than ten thousand words in a tongue.
20Brothers, stop thinking like children. In regard to evil be infants, but in your thinking be adults.
21In the Law it is written:
   "Through men of strange tongues
       and through the lips of foreigners
   I will speak to this people,
       but even then they will not listen to me," says the Lord.
22Tongues, then, are a sign, not for believers but for unbelievers; prophecy, however, is for believers, not for unbelievers.
23So if the whole church comes together and everyone speaks in tongues, and some who do not understand or some unbelievers come in, will they not say that you are out of your mind?
24But if an unbeliever or someone who does not understand comes in while everybody is prophesying, he will be convinced by all that he is a sinner and will be judged by all,
25and the secrets of his heart will be laid bare. So he will fall down and worship God, exclaiming, "God is really among you!"

I think God wants us all to speak in tongues, and more so to prophecy. He calls them the greatest of the spiritual gifts. They build you up, and bring you closer to God! Tongues as a personal thing to edify youself, and prophecy as a collective thing to edify the church aswell as the individual!

pray about it, and ask God to give you the gifts! we should eagerly desire them! ..and they are kewl anyway, so why shouldn't we ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums