Visit site
✟447,219.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Hi my flatmates' mother was against a school that tried to get her kids to speak in tongues. I asked her why she was against it. She said something about the Bible saying that it no longer gives gifts like that. I don't think she would know what passage she's talking about based on my conversations with her. Any ideas about relevant passages?

devin553344

I believe in the Resurrection
Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hi my flatmates' mother was against a school that tried to get her kids to speak in tongues. I asked her why she was against it. She said something about the Bible saying that it no longer gives gifts like that. I don't think she would know what passage she's talking about based on my conversations with her. Any ideas about relevant passages?

1 Corinthians 13:8

"Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away."

Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

Phil W

Apr 15, 2019
Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
1 Corinthians 13:8

"Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away."
That verse doesn't mean it has already happened.
The gift of tongues isn't procured through a "class".
It is given by God to those who have been given the gift of the Holy Ghost because of their repentance from sin.
It is still given today.
Thanks be to God.

Upvote 0

devin553344

I believe in the Resurrection
Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
That verse doesn't mean it has already happened.
The gift of tongues isn't procured through a "class".
It is given by God to those who have been given the gift of the Holy Ghost because of their repentance from sin.
It is still given today.
Thanks be to God.

Yes of course. Thanks for pointing that out. I was just producing the requested scripture :)

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,078.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

I had to first look up what a "flatmate" was.

How does a school try to have children speak in tongues? Do they mean teach a foreign language class? I mean, I am not against that. I took French for one semester, and Japanese for three. I will tell you, French is ridiculously hard to learn, while Japanese is fairly simpler than English (I now feel their struggle in learning it).

Upvote 0

Phil W

Apr 15, 2019
Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes of course. Thanks for pointing that out. I was just producing the requested scripture :)
And thank you for your research.
Some use that scripture to give false hope to those who have not received the Holy Ghost, falsely insisting it is no longer available.

• Agree
Reactions: devin553344
Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I had to first look up what a "flatmate" was.

How does a school try to have children speak in tongues? Do they mean teach a foreign language class? I mean, I am not against that. I took French for one semester, and Japanese for three. I will tell you, French is ridiculously hard to learn, while Japanese is fairly simpler than English (I now feel their struggle in learning it).
Why not Spanish?

Reactions: Kaon
Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,010,777.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
'Speaking in tongues' as seen today, is not the same as in the Apostles day. Then, it was used to preach the Gospel to all nations in their own tongues. Today, what i see, is gobbledegook.

Upvote 0

CharismaticLady

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2019
Tennessee
✟140,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate

Devin was right about where her erroneous theory came from, (1 Cor. 13:8) but it is a bad interpretation of "the perfect." All they would have had to do was read to the bottom of the chapter to see the perfect in context is the perfect knowledge of God that will come when we see Him face to face at the second coming. They don't realize that even with the Bible and even all the versions and commentaries, we still only see God now as through a dark glass.

It is against Covenant Theology. Jesus shows us the example of the Old Covenant in Matthew 5:

17 “Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill. 18 For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled.

We know that Jesus did fulfill the law, and the Old Covenant came to an end, and His New Covenant that He was preaching for three years came into being on the Day of Pentecost - like the reading of a will and Testament. Just as not a jot or one tittle passed from the Old Covenant; in other words, not the tiniest thing passed from the law till all was fulfilled, not one thing in our New Covenant, including everything from the Holy Spirit, like all gifts, will cease until the maker of the Covenant returns at the end. Nothing ceases inside a covenant until the end of the covenant.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,078.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Why not Spanish?

I should have tried Spanish since we have more speakers, but at the time I wasn't really attracted to it.

I tried French because my mother was somewhat fluent in it, and her side of the family has some French heritage. However, once I stepped into that classroom I found everything about the French culture super boring and the language extremely hard to learn. Spanish is also a Romance language, it never crossed my mind to consider it worth my time, but now I kind of regret that.

I have wanted to try Portuguese though.

Upvote 0

CharismaticLady

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2019
Tennessee
✟140,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Since the "speaking in tongues" comes from Pentecostalism which is fairly new then I am skeptic.

You wouldn't be if your knew prophecy.

On the Day of Pentecost Peter preached from Joel 2 that it was being fulfilled. In the prophecy was the early and latter rain. The Day of Pentecost was the early rain of the Holy Spirit. Then after the apostles died and the church became worldly for centuries, that was like a long dry summer. Now is the time of the latter rain of the Holy Spirit getting the Bride prepared for her Groom, Jesus.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I should have tried Spanish since we have more speakers, but at the time I wasn't really attracted to it.

I tried French because my mother was somewhat fluent in it, and her side of the family has some French heritage. However, once I stepped into that classroom I found everything about the French culture super boring and the language extremely hard to learn. Spanish is also a Romance language, it never crossed my mind to consider it worth my time, but now I kind of regret that.

I have wanted to try Portuguese though.
I kind of dislike French culture because it has become associated with secularism and other anti-Christian stuff. Isn't Jean Calvin from France though?

Upvote 0

CharismaticLady

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2019
Tennessee
✟140,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
'Speaking in tongues' as seen today, is not the same as in the Apostles day. Then, it was used to preach the Gospel to all nations in their own tongues. Today, what i see, is gobbledegook.

It that what your denomination teaches you??? LOL This is why I don't belong to man made denominations.

1 Corinthians 14:2

For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God, for no one understands him; however, in the spirit he speaks mysteries.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
You wouldn't be if your knew prophecy.

On the Day of Pentecost Peter preached from Joel 2 that it was being fulfilled. In the prophecy was the early and latter rain. The Day of Pentecost was the early rain of the Holy Spirit. Then after the apostles died and the church became worldly for centuries, that was like a long dry summer. Now is the time of the latter rain of the Holy Spirit getting the Bride prepared for her Groom, Jesus.
Well, I don't believe the Church became worldly for centuries.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I provided a list of reasons for this with the Bible within this CF thread:

Cessationism: Tongues, Prophecy, and the Gift of Miracles Have Ceased.

One that I would like to add is that Jesus said that blessed are those who don't see and yet believe (See John 20:29). This suggests that there would be a time where people would be more blessed for not seeing the miraculous like the early apostles did.

Important Note:

Word of caution. If you are convinced, always leave room for doubt. I say this because if one is wrong, and they speak against anyone who is genuinely working by the miraculous giftings, one could be condemning themselves for speaking against GOD. I usually leave about 1% chance that I am wrong on this and that there may be some group in a jungle somewhere or other part of our planet that is operating by GOD's gifts (if the LORD is still continuing the early church gifts). Those I have witnessed by videos, and most I have talked with online are not operating by the rules of 1 Corinthians 14.

Last edited:
Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0