Speaking in tongues in a known language-experiences

LinkH

Jun 19, 2006
✟43,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have read or heard at least five testimonies regarding the Azusa Street revival that involved speakers of foreign languages hearing their language 'in tongues' at the Azusa Street revival. I have spoken with at least two people who have heard a language they knew spoken 'in tongues' and at least two people who have spoken in tongues and someone said they understood the language, spoken 'in tongues.' (That doesn't include testimonies on TV.)

Have any of you ever heard someone speak in tongues in a language you know, or spoken in tongues and someone else knew the language you spoke in? Do you know of any second-hand experiences.

Reactions: Drick

Drick

Aug 22, 2017
Alabama
✟18,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Yes, both of those things, actually. I've known several with the ability from different backgrounds and persuasions. I also know of someone who, when they were alive, could speak perfect Spanish despite never having learned, and having no direct conscious knowledge of the language. And I know of another now-deceased preacher who, though he lost an eye as a child, he could see perfectly well out of the socket, and this was proven in front of crowds by reading while using extensive means to cover his physical eye. I believe the video is on YouTube, though the man's name escapes me at the moment.

Crazy things are all around if you look for them (or have a well-connected family, which is how I learned of these people).

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,296.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, Maria Woodworth-Etter reported it in her diary. Seems like in the congregation there was a couple from Poland? and they became believers. Also, Sid Roth recently said it had happened to him while praying for a pregnant woman.

Upvote 0

Frank Jennings

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains, Arkansas
✟27,357.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
A brother went to a church in South Korea where he heard a woman praying and praising God in perfect English which she had no knowledge of.

An unbeliever that had no knowledge of the gospel and spiritual gifts was at a prayer meeting and heard a man speaking in a rare old gernanic dialect known as high German. He was a student of that language. He heard the person say "who are you to scoff at my gifts? He was broken by this and became a believer.

When the Lord first baptized me in the Holy Spirit and gave me the gift of tongues at home one of the words I would frequently say was yeshua. I pronounced it differently though than all the pronunciations I've heard. The emphasis was on the yesh- with the trailing - ua falling off to a lesser emphasis.
as in;
YESH-ua.

Brother Garlock that wrote "Before we kill and eat you" was a missionary in Africa in the 20's. He writes if an incident where he was taken captive by a tribe that intended to kill him. He began to preach to them by the Holy Spirit in their language and they were so frightened by what he said that they released him and his bearers and helped him on his way. My brother worked with his daughter at an engineering firm. Amazon still carries his book which is a very exciting adventure with Jesus in darkest Africa.

Last edited:
Upvote 0