spanking teenagers-does anyone believe in it any more?

Chris V++

Associate Member
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2018
Dela Where?
Visit site
✟674,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I've never heard of spanking a teenager before. It doesn't seem appropriate. Chores or grounding and taking away something fun like the x box or cell phone seems like it would be more effective.

Upvote 0

donboston50

Jan 15, 2019
Boston
✟15,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Grounding doesn't seem to do any good.
I told him I'd have an answer on Saturday and will either ground him for a longer period of time or I'll spank him. One or the other and maybe both, like my parents did.

Upvote 0

MotherFirefly

May 10, 2016
U.S.
✟43,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have come to understand that spanking doesn't teach a very deep lesson past the toddler years.
While I don't yet have experience raising a teenager, I find punishment doesn't mean much if your child doesn't learn why they should heed your rules in the process.

I recall being locked out of the house when I didn't make it home before others had gone to bed, and the first cold night stuck outside was a good reminder after that.

Prayers for you.

• Winner
Reactions: Junia
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, spanking is ineffective after a certain age and it becomes just plain abusive. Totally inappropriate IMO for a teen, even a ten or eleven year old.

Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
i strongly advise you to not give into the temptation to spank your teenage child to get them to obey you. Spanking creates more gaps between the child and the carer not less. Plus spanking can be used against you in court if your relationship with your child goes the wrong way in the end.

Spanking will not work in your favour, but teaches the wrong way to deal with conflict/difficulties in getting people to do your will. Having said this, if punish is due, then punish where it hurts but always do it with reason and with love and respect for the person being punished.

The best way to get your kids to follow the rules of the house is to make your children love and respect you as their parents. The more a child appreciates their carer the more willing the child will be to do what is right with the carer. An one to one spoken in loving reason will be much more powerful than punishment in my opinion. Work on cultivating love in your son's heart

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

donboston50

Jan 15, 2019
Boston
✟15,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
He says his best friend gets spanked and he wants to be treated the same way. although I think this 'best friend' is also his girlfriend. I'm going to try to talk to her parents to see what the story is. Wish me luck.
I think locking him out is a good suggestion and alerting the local police I am doing this might produce a good result. We'll see...…...

Upvote 0

Chris V++

Associate Member
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2018
Dela Where?
Visit site
✟674,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think locking him out is a good suggestion and alerting the local police I am doing this might produce a good result.

You are thinking of locking him out and calling the police on him to have him arrested? Not a good idea
You are going to ask his girlfriend's parents if they spank her as punishment?
Probably not a good idea either.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

*LILAC

Site Supporter
Jan 22, 2005
✟456,687.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
13 and a half. Consistently breaks curfew.
He is still very much a minor and you, the parent, will be questioned if you call the police on him. I would seriously think about that before doing anything drastic.

Upvote 0

RoseCrystal

Site Supporter
Jun 10, 2018
Australia
✟294,530.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
My son is just turned 19, when he was in high-school and messed up I would ground him and take all his electrical items ALL of them, computer, phone, iPad, playstation, DS, everything, he was allowed to us the 'house' computer to do homework and that was it.

Worked a treat, no point grounding them to a room where they have everything!

Upvote 0