Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Desclée de Brouwer publishing house, which publishes the Jerusalem Bible, changed the word "man" (“hombre”) to "person" (“persona”) in its new Spanish edition.

The Jerusalem Bible is among the best known publications of the Bible. It has been published in Spanish since 1967. The first edition was published in French in 1956, and was based on the original Hebrew and Greek texts, not the Latin Vulgate, as are subsequent editions in other modern languages.

The excerpt shared by several Twitter users refers to Matthew 4:19, where Christ says to his disciples: "I will make you fishers of men," which in the new edition says, "I will make you fishers of persons.”

“It doesn't seem right to me, but I think it has the importance that we give it. If we read Holy Scripture every day, we would have realized long ago that the Jerusalem Bible translation is not the best option,” said Fr. Antonio María Domenech Guillén, a priest of the Diocese of Cuenca.

Continued below.
Spanish Jerusalem Bible changes 'fishers of men' to 'fishers of persons'

Skye1300

Vegan Pro life Mom
Mar 19, 2022
West Coast USA
✟47,054.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The Desclée de Brouwer publishing house, which publishes the Jerusalem Bible, changed the word "man" (“hombre”) to "person" (“persona”) in its new Spanish edition.

The Jerusalem Bible is among the best known publications of the Bible. It has been published in Spanish since 1967. The first edition was published in French in 1956, and was based on the original Hebrew and Greek texts, not the Latin Vulgate, as are subsequent editions in other modern languages.

The excerpt shared by several Twitter users refers to Matthew 4:19, where Christ says to his disciples: "I will make you fishers of men," which in the new edition says, "I will make you fishers of persons.”

“It doesn't seem right to me, but I think it has the importance that we give it. If we read Holy Scripture every day, we would have realized long ago that the Jerusalem Bible translation is not the best option,” said Fr. Antonio María Domenech Guillén, a priest of the Diocese of Cuenca.

Continued below.
Spanish Jerusalem Bible changes 'fishers of men' to 'fishers of persons'

I definitely don't think they should be changing words in the Bible just to make them politically correct. Especially Jesus' words. I was watching a movie about the Bible and Soddam and Gamorrah and they pretty much changed the meaning or reason for the destruction away from homosexuality. They also completely removed the part where the men wanted to have sex with the male angels. Next they'll be changing the Bible about that to be politically correct too. It's a slippery slope.

Upvote 0