Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟776,845.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
SpaceX has been launched and I am eagerly waiting to see it from my balcony.

I've heard it should be visible in the UK low in the southwestern sky at around 10.15pm.

There is also live video coverage of the launch

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
✟776,845.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I think I saw it at 10.15pm gliding across the sky. Seemed much larger than I expected. With the naked eye it almost resembled an aircraft. Getting it on camera was very tricky because of the movement.

Screenshot from 2020-05-30 22-45-35.png

It was much easier getting the moon on camera.

DSC00987.jpg

Moments later I saw what resembled a shooting star moving in the opposite direction and then it fizzled out and disappeared.

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
✟776,845.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
My Great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great grandmother, 'Laika' on my mums side, went into space for the russians. She never came back :(
Laika could have been the "shooting star" I saw coming back into orbit. Maybe she's come home after all!

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
✟776,845.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I saw the launch. I can't wait till we have ships like the NCC-1701 and I want to have a job on board :)
It could have been some passengers going on a package tour to the Algarve....

Reactions: “Paisios”
Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Laika could have been the "shooting star" I saw coming back into orbit. Maybe she's come home after all!

“They were all alone. Their voices had died like echoes of the words of God spoken and vibrating in the starred deep. There went the captain to the Moon; there Stone with the meteor swarm; there Stimson; there Applegate toward Pluto; there Smith and Turner and Underwood and all the rest, the shards of the kaleidoscope that had formed a thinking pattern for so long, hurled apart.

And I? thought Hollis. What can I do? Is there anything I can do now to make up for a terrible and empty life? If only I could do one good thing to make up for the meanness I collected all these years and didn’t even know was in me! But there’s no one here but myself, and how can you do good all alone? You can’t. Tomorrow night I’ll hit Earth s atmosphere.

I’ll burn, he thought, and be scattered in ashes all over the continental lands. I’ll be put to use. Just a little bit, but ashes are ashes and they’ll add to the land.

He fell swiftly, like a bullet, like a pebble, like an iron weight, objective, objective all of the time now, not sad or happy or anything, but only wishing he could do a good thing now that everything was gone, a good thing for just himself to know about.

When I hit the atmosphere, I’ll burn like a meteor.

“I wonder,” he said, “if anyone’ll see me?”

The small boy on the country road looked up and screamed. “Look, Mom, look! A falling star!”

The blazing white star fell down the sky of dusk in Illinois. “Make a wish,” said his mother. “Make a wish.”” - Ray Bradbury, “Kaleidoscope”, in The Illustrated Man

I was very excited about this launch. I was so disappointed when it was delayed the other day, and was watching eagerly when the successful launch happened this afternoon. I’ve always been excited about spaceflight.

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
✟776,845.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I was very excited about this launch. I was so disappointed when it was delayed the other day, and was watching eagerly when the successful launch happened this afternoon. I’ve always been excited about spaceflight.
I always get intrigued and excited when I see something out of the ordinary. It's one of those "once in a lifetime" experiences, probably won't get to see something like that again for a very long time, if at all!
The fact that human beings have developed the technology to leave our planet and go up into open space still completely boggles my mind.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Stood in my driveway, and saw it go up. Pretty much everyone was in the street. It was cool. The space shuttle seemed a lot louder with its crackling rumble from the boosters. Still shook the neighborhood pretty good.

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
✟776,845.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Stood in my driveway, and saw it go up. Pretty much everyone was in the street. It was cool. The space shuttle seemed a lot louder with its crackling rumble from the boosters. Still shook the neighborhood pretty good.
I expect you got a much more exciting viewing experience of the SpaceX launch from where you are!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I always get intrigued and exacted when I see something out of the ordinary. It's one of those "once in a lifetime" experiences, probably won't get to see something like that again for a very long time, if at all!
The fact that human beings have developed the technology to leave our planet and go up into open space still completely boggles my mind.
It was such a sleek and smooth appearing spacecraft and launch. So beautiful. I share your interest in the once in a lifetime experiences. This is a fairly important part of the history of space travel, I would think.

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
✟776,845.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
It was such a sleek and smooth appearing spacecraft and launch. So beautiful. I share your interest in the once in a lifetime experiences. This is a fairly important part of the history of space travel, I would think.
I found out this evening that the ISS is only 200 odd miles or so from the earth, and although it only takes 8 minutes for a rocket to reach space, it will take hours for it to reach the station as it orbits around the earth.

Upvote 0

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I expect you got a much more exciting viewing experience of the SpaceX launch from where you are!

Im in Orlando so it is kind of a family thing. I think it was 2011 me and my girls watched the very last space shuttle launch. And I moved here in 1989 so I've seen a few. The space shuttle is about 4 or 5 inches in the sky. With good binoculars or a telezoom camera on a tripod, you can see every detail. It's fun. Kinda of a hobby I guess.

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
✟776,845.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Im in Orlando so it is kind of a family thing. I think it was 2011 me and my girls watched the very last space shuttle launch. And I moved here in 1989 so I've seen a few. The space shuttle is about 4 or 5 inches in the sky. With good binoculars or a telezoom camera on a tripod, you can see every detail. It's fun. Kinda of a hobby I guess.
I'd love to have had the opportunity to take a decent photo. Although my camera has a fairly good zoom feature, it moved too quickly to be able to zoom in and focus on it. Maybe I will have to travel to Orlando at the next launch and take some good pictures!

Upvote 0

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I'd love to have had the opportunity to take a decent photo. Although my camera has a fairly good zoom feature, it moved too quickly to be able to zoom in and focus on it. Maybe I will have to travel to Orlando at the next launch and take some good pictures!

It is totally worth it if you are into launches. Hearing it, is a completely differnt experience then seeing it on tv. The bass resonates. You can feel it. It is realy cool. And I'm like 20 miles away as the crow flies. I can't imagine watching it at the space center.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
✟776,845.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
It is totally worth it if you are into launches. Hearing it, is a completely differnt experience then seeing it on tv. The bass resonates. You can feel it. It is realy cool.
I expect hearing the noise and feeling the bass just shows how powerful those rockets are. I'm not one for heights, so not sure I'd relish the thought in going up into space if I could avoid it! Also having vertigo, I think the floating about would make me feel queasy to say the least! I can't help but feel nervous for those astronauts, who are in a situation where getting home is not that easy and where they cannot afford to get one thing wrong.

Upvote 0

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I expect hearing the noise and feeling the bass just shows how powerful those rockets are.

Yeah, but it has lost a lot of its luster as of late around here. It's usually just satellites going up. I think there was a big rush of excitement because we are finally going back to space.

I'm not one for heights, so not sure I'd relish the thought in going up into space if I could avoid it! Also having vertigo, I think the floating about would make me feel queasy to say the least! I can't help but feel nervous for those astronauts, who are in a situation where getting home is not that easy and where they cannot afford to get one thing wrong.

Not me... where do I sign up? I find the prospect exhilarating. If commercial travel or what not becomes a thing, I am going. I would love to be able to look down on the earth and see it.

I'm also realy interested in the moon or mars. Right now with the tests/experiments they are doing you have to be a veritable genius with a doctorate, and speak both russian, and english. But if the opportunity ever opens up in my lifetime to the public, I will go.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,190,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private