• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Soylent - Food replacement

Discussion in 'Physical & Life Sciences' started by Elendur, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Elendur

Elendur Gamer and mathematician

+20
    Agnostic
    Engaged
    I don't really have the time to participate in this thread in full, but I thought that I'd share this with you.

Blog post that describes how he started and how he feels:
    How I Stopped Eating Food : Mostly Harmless

Blog post with ingredients:
    What’s In Soylent : Mostly Harmless

To someone like me, who's in pain eating about 50% of the times (although it's better now that I'm older), this would be perfect. Disregarding his claims of improved health it would still be perfect to me due to the simplicity.

Some selected quotes of interest from the first blog post:
    Here's from the second:

Edit: It seems that I'll try this for a week this summer, hopefully it won't be a flop. If I don't change my mind (or die halfway) I'll post the blood test results from before and after.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Michael

Michael Contributor Supporter

+1,677
    Christian
    I'd be a bit worried about your ability to get all the nutrients that you will need over the long haul that way, but if it has the potential to make your life "easier", it might be worth a shot for a short period of time. I like the idea of blood tests before and after since that will tell you a lot about how 'balanced' your diet might be.

It is actually possible to lose wait eating nothing but junk food, and end up "healthier" at the end in terms of cholesterol counts. :)

Twinkie diet helps nutrition professor lose 27 pounds - CNN.com

3. Michael

+1,677
    Christian
    Since I'm not sure about the list of ingredients, I'm speculating, but:

Keep in mind that soy is one of the most heavily genetically modified forms of food on the planet. I know that Henry Ford was a big fan of soy, and lived a long life, but I doubt he ate much in way of genetically altered foods. If your "pain" is in any way related to a sensitivity to foods, the *same* food over and over again could in theory become counterproductive, particularly if you're just aggravating the condition.

It certainly urge you to "be careful" and cautious, but hey, it's possible to lose weight eating nothing but junk food. :)

4. Elendur

+20
    Agnostic
    Engaged
    Well, given that it seems to have more nutrients than most other foods, I'd say that it's well thought through and healthy 'nuff.
    I'm only planning on trying it as a 100% diet for that week, I won't try something as drastic as to change my diet 100% for a long time, at most I'd continue at 50%.

Actually the pain is from Aphthous_stomatitis, I get those every time my immune system gets worse (hypothesis of mine and several others), like sleeping an hour or two less than necessary or getting a cold.

I think the name Soylent is a tribute to the movie
    Soylent Green from 1973, not from using any actual soy, in fact he never even mentions soy ;).
    T
    he second link listed what he put in it, it seems very well thought through
    and well motivated.

I'm not eating to manage my weight, it's steady at 60-65 kg and I can't get it higher without training 5-6 hours per week.
    I'm one of those rude persons who have the ability to eat anything without gaining weight :p

5. Paulos23

Paulos23 Never tell me the odds!

+3,313
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    US-Others
    It just has to be said:

Soylent Green is people!

6. Michael

+1,677
    Christian
    Ok. As long as you're 'reasonable' about it, it sounds like a good plan.

Ouch! Fortunately my canker sores seemed to go away and stay away once I started eating sunflower seeds, drinking coffee, and cutting down on sugary soft drinks. I have no idea if those specific things really helped or not, since the sores were uncommon even before then.
    You people really bug me. ;)

7. Strathos

Strathos No one important

+5,466
    Christian
    Single
    US-Democrat
  8. pgp_protector

pgp_protector Noted strange person

+15,961
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    I was wondering by the title if their was going to be some connection :D

9. Elendur

+20
    Agnostic
    Engaged

I always have good plans, now off to jump from the roof! (Or not :p)

I've tried so many things, sooooooooooo many things... Including really powerful local anesthetic, that incidentally numbed my whole mouth for a couple of hours. That one actually worked well, except for the time it took to work.

;)

10. Joshua0

Joshua0 Guest

+0
    Yep, I have a friend that was starting to have problems eating. I knew that inflammation was a part of it. So we started to feed him like a baby. Made a big difference. My grandmother lived for years off of one of those formula health food drinks that they give to old people. I often wondered if the soy milk formula they feed to babies really has all the right stuff in them the same as mom. But it seems to keep them alive. Some of the women complain that the man made formula lacks some of the natural antibiotics that the baby gets from the mom.