Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
I was wondering how the SBC(Southern Baptist convention) interact with non-american churches? I know with the UMC they have churches that are members outside the US and was wondering what about the SBC. Also is it okay for a baptist to use the term Sacrament for the ordinances? I use both but like Sacrament because if I remember all the other denominations use it and if I farther remember it's historical.

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I grew up Southern Baptist. In my experience, I have consistently heard Southern Baptists use the term "ordinance", rather than "sacrament", to emphasize that baptism and Communion are symbolic -- that they are acts that human beings carry out to remember Jesus and express their commitment to him. The term "sacrament", by contrast, emphasizes that God is actively working and present in these rites.

It's okay with me if you use the word "sacrament" :), but I don't think it's the normal Southern Baptist terminology, because of the underlying theology.

I don't know about SBC cooperation with churches in other countries, so someone else will have to answer that one.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I grew up Southern Baptist. In my experience, I have consistently heard Southern Baptists use the term "ordinance", rather than "sacrament", to emphasize that baptism and Communion are symbolic -- that they are acts that human beings carry out to remember Jesus and express their commitment to him. The term "sacrament", by contrast, emphasizes that God is actively working and present in these rites.

It's okay with me if you use the word "sacrament" :), but I don't think it's the normal Southern Baptist terminology, because of the underlying theology.

I don't know about SBC cooperation with churches in other countries, so someone else will have to answer that one.
Good point to remember.

In Acts 2.41 and 42, both believer's baptism and the breaking of bread are mentioned as activities of those 'who gladly received his word'. Thus they were not rites undertaken in order for them supposedly to become Christians or supposedly to stay Christians through the supposed mediation of a clergy, but rather symbolic practices which those who were already healthily believers.

Upvote 0

pilgrim1999

Apr 10, 2012
Hammond, LA
Visit site
✟9,497.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The SBC used to be part of the Baptist World Alliance, but withdrew from it several years ago because they thought the BWA was too liberal. I'm sure the IMB has partnerships with other churches worldwide, and some local SBC churches have relationships with Baptist churches in other countries.

As for sacrament vs ordinance, Baptists have tended to avoid the term sacrament because it has connotations of grace being conferred. Some "Reformed Baptists" and maybe some others are fine with the sacramental language and some believe that the sacraments, particularly the Lord's Supper, are a means of grace similar to how Presbyterian and Reformed believers do.

Upvote 0