South African hunter Theunis Botha crushed to death by elephant after it is fatally shot in Zimbabwe

mala

fluffy lion
Dec 5, 2002
✟261,324.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Single
Notorious hunter crushed to death by elephant his group killed

A well-known South African hunter has died after he was crushed to death by an elephant which was shot by another member of his group.

...He reportedly also travelled regularly to the US in order to find wealthy customers to take part in trophy hunting.

can't say i feel sorry for the guy honestly.
big game hunters are a blight that need to be stopped.

• Winner
Reactions: Innsmuthbride

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
You know the only reason national parks were set up in the first place was to allow for hunting. Animals were being cleared out because of human settlement and hunters tried to maintain them. They were the first environmentalists back in the late 19th century, but today they are villified.
Southern Africa has so many animals today because the old ZAR set up the Kruger Park for hunting.
Culling animals is sometimes required when their populations outgrow the carrying capacity of the artificially enclosured parks. They usually can't be allowed to naturally expand into their former ranges, as humans have now settled these areas into towns and farmland. This is especially true for big game.

Of course there are canned hunts, but this is not markedly different or crueler than conventional factory-farming in my opinion, yet presented as some absolute wrong and its practitioners as devils. No one would sound so blasé if a chicken farmer was horrifically killed practicing his occupation.

I myself am not a hunter and have no desire to be one, but the double standard here is quite stark. My prayers go out to the man's family.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mala

fluffy lion
Dec 5, 2002
✟261,324.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Single
You know the only reason national parks were set up in the first place was to allow for hunting. Animals were being cleared out because of human settlement and hunters tried to maintain them. They were the first environmentalists back in the late 19th century, but today they are villified.
Southern Africa has so many animals today because the old ZAR set up the Kruger Park for hunting.
Culling animals is sometimes required when their populations outgrow the carrying capacity of the artificially enclosured parks. They usually can't be allowed to naturally expand into their former ranges, as humans have now settled these areas into towns and farmland. This is especially true for big game.

Of course there are canned hunts, but this is not markedly different or crueler than conventional factory-farming in my opinion, yet presented as some absolute wrong and its practioners as devils. No one would sound so blasé if a chicken farmer was horrifically killed practicing his occupation.

I myself am not a hunter and have no desire to be one, but the double standard here is quite stark. My prayers go out to the man's family.

i simply find that trophy hunting is detestable.
it exists for no other reason than bragging rights.

Upvote 0