DavidSouth

Mar 2, 2017
Pietermaritzburg, Natal, South Africa
✟15,991.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Thank you God for all you have blessed me with!

Thank you for my wonderful wife and child. Thank you for my physical and mental strength to protect them. Thank you for that bad time you let me live -my scars as armour my Lord.

I ask only that you protect my Boer people as you have protected me. Please open the hearts of Western politicians to see what is happening and moreover, to act.

Please God, bless us Boers for we are your true children.

God, I love you, and I thank you!

Robin Mauro

Sep 11, 2018
North San Juan
✟27,401.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you God for all you have blessed me with!

Thank you for my wonderful wife and child. Thank you for my physical and mental strength to protect them. Thank you for that bad time you let me live -my scars as armour my Lord.

I ask only that you protect my Boer people as you have protected me. Please open the hearts of Western politicians to see what is happening and moreover, to act.

Please God, bless us Boers for we are your true children.

God, I love you, and I thank you!
Are you saying that the actual indigenous South African people are not God's children?

• Agree
Reactions: LoricaLady
Upvote 0

Unofficial Reverand Alex

Pray in silence...God speaks softly
Site Supporter
Dec 22, 2017
The Mystical Lands of Rural Indiana
Visit site
✟526,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Are you saying that the actual indigenous South African people are not God's children?
Doubtful. I had to reread the OP to see why you'd think that, and it looks more to be a reaffirmation that the Boers are God's children, not excluding anyone. Think of it as the Jews or Christians being God's children, but of course that doesn't exclude anyone, under the idea that "Everyone who loves is born of God." (1 John 4:7)

@DavidSouth -- what's the background behind this prayer? I know very little about the Boers, just a bit about the pre-WWI Boer Wars.

• Friendly
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Doubtful. I had to reread the OP to see why you'd think that, and it looks more to be a reaffirmation that the Boers are God's children, not excluding anyone. Think of it as the Jews or Christians being God's children, but of course that doesn't exclude anyone, under the idea that "Everyone who loves is born of God." (1 John 4:7)

@DavidSouth -- what's the background behind this prayer? I know very little about the Boers, just a bit about the pre-WWI Boer Wars.
So, I am also an Afrikaner (a Boer in other words) living in South Africa. So for a little background:

The Afrikaners are the descendants of Dutch, German and French Huguenot ancestors (with a smattering of others and some early intermarriages) stemming from the colonisation of the Cape starting in 1652. The French especially were fleeing persecution for their Protestant faith after France revoked the edict of Nantes and began persecuting Protestants. The population creolised and developed their own language, Afrikaans.

Britain took over the Cape, prompting some of these to leave on account of taxation issues and perceived British Oppression (notably the hanging at Slagtersnek). This was the Great Trek of 1830, from where they settled the hinterland of South Africa to found their own Boer republics. These properly are the Boers, with whom Britain fought the two Boer wars.
They thought of themselves as having a lifestyle like the old Patriarchs of the Bible, and took the idea of being the 'New Israel' very seriously.

A group of them went to Natal and negotiated with the Zulu King Dingane for land, but he treacherously murdered an unarmed party under Piet Retief at a supposed friendly celebration. Subsequently Dingane tried to destroy all the Boers in Natal, but a small group of about 480, managed to defeat a Zulu force of 15000 at the Battle of Blood River. They had made a wagon laager and then withstood a day of Zulu onslaught until the river ran red with blood, hence the name. Before this battle, they had dedicated themselves to God and a New Covenant, if they were to be saved from the Zulus. The unlikely victory made the day (16 December) a solemn religious Boer holiday that was kept henceforth.

After Britain conquered the two Boer Republics set up in the hinterland (and annexing Natalia set up in Natal), these along with the British Cape Colony were combined into South Africa in 1910. The Cape population and the Boers came to regard themselves as one people again, the Afrikaners. Subsequently Apartheid was made law in South Africa and propogated by Afrikaner controlled governments (Apartheid is Afrikaans for Segregation, and is very much analogous). This ended in '94 when majority rule was instituted. The old Apartheid government had been overtly religious (at least on the outside) with the various Dutch Reformed Churches essentially acting as State Churches, and religious holidays became state holidays, with things like inappropriate contentography or overt blasphemy banned (such as banning Jesus Christ Superstar musical). The Apartheid goverment instuted discriminatory practices against the black majority, like curfews, pass-books, segregated utilities, no go areas, only allowing black land ownership in certain areas, etc.

Since '94 there has been a lot of anti-Afrikaans events in South Africa. Afrikaans schools were forced to become English or dual medium, prayer and Afrikaans cultural expression has been curtailed somewhat, religious holidays apart from Christmas and Easter abolished, and discrimination in employment and university placement instituted against Afrikaners as 'previously advantaged'.

There are also ongoing attempts to force the farmers off their land for Land Reform, recently they have been planning to do so without compensation. Much of this land has been in Afrikaans ownership for centuries, and significant portions legally bought from previous tribes or empty land settled (just prior to the Great Trek, the rise of the Zulu Kingdom prompted a largescale depopulation of central South Africa, called the Mfecane. The Boers moved into this void).

There is much residual hatred against the Afrikaners, so that horrific Farm Attacks occur, in which farmers are tortured and killed. The government statistics hide this by various tricks, as they are scared about their international reputation as The Rainbow Nation. There have been some independant documentaries on this recently though. Outside of Afrikaans media, they are often not reported. I worked in a rural referral hospital, so saw horrific attacks - such as women who had their faces forced onto hot grills or children tortured with boiling water or clothing irons.

So the Afrikaners used to be highly religious and saw themselves as a People of God under a new Covenant. Nowadays 16 December has become much less celebrated, the Afrikaners far more secular, and many of the Churches aging and emptying. We do need prayers though, as there are concerted efforts against our culture and livelihood. One of the parties in South Africa, the EFF, has stated they want to impoverish the Afrikaners and routinely sing anti-Apartheid songs like 'Kill the Boer' or 'Bring me my machine gun'. A lot of this animosity is based on economic imbalances and historic events. I don't know if I would call us 'true children of God' anymore. My wife says that the Afrikaner often acts like the children of Cain, and she is the daughter and granddaughter of Dutch Reformed ministers.

We are poor sinners here at the foot of Africa, with nowhere else to go. This is our home, though many are emigrating, becoming strangers in foreign lands. There is much hatred against us. We have not always been good, and as we fell away, whoring after other gods like Mammon and worldly power, perhaps it is poignant that God delivered this 'New Israel' into the power of New Philistines and Amorites. We need to return to God, to the faith of our fathers.

I second the need for prayers, but prayer as the Publican prayed: "Have mercy on us poor sinners, Lord."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
A while back there was a fashion in the Afrikaans churches for praying "die gebed van Jabes" - the prayer of Jabez from 1 Chronicles 4:9-10. This was treated as some form of 'prosperity gospel', or magic trick, by many. This is unfortunate.

Jabez means pain, or in Afrikaans translation the word 'smart' was used, which is closer to English Suffering or Anguish. Some English translations use sorrow, which is better. This describes the Afrikaner. We fled religious persecution in Europe to build a new life in Africa, from the sweat of our brow, only to end up under British rule. We then fled, to have to fight for survival against Zulus and Xhosa in the frontier wars.
Our little republics were crushed by the English, and because we fought to the bitter end, the Boer farms were destroyed and Boer women and children forced into concentration camps - invented by the British for the occasion. Thereafter Milner tried to Anglify South Africa, before the Afrikaners managed to come to power.

As Jabez asked to increase his land, it was granted - but like old Israel, we squandered it, becoming a pariah state. Now that land that had been granted us, will likely be taken away. Like Israel we are going into Exile, may be oppressed in the land itself.

The Lord taketh and He giveth away. As our Protestant ancestors were given recognition in France, only to lose it again. As we gained farms, for the British to burn them. As we rebuilt those farms, for the ANC to seize them again.

Such is the lot of the Afrikaner. One of our poets, Totius, wrote how we are like a little thorn tree. It gets crushed under the wheel of an ox-wagon, but slowly grows again, with the wounds upon its stem.

We have suffered, like old Israel and the Jews have suffered. The Lord blessed us, but He has also had to chastise us. The Prayer of Jabez is the real Afrikaans Prayer, though we are Jabez praying it, one born from suffering and sorrow:

"Stort u seën oor my uit, vergroot my grondgebied, neem my onder u beskerming en weerhou onheil van my sodat geen smart my tref nie."

Maybe even better in the Griqua patois:

"Jirre, stier tog nou U se wolklikheit,
en goi U se drippelse op onse koppe yt.
Gjee onse weidingse meerderder gras
en hou ons tog oener U se vlerkense vas. Keer die beerlou van onse lyfte af weg en draai tog net onse lewe bietjie reg: lattie hyl ons nie innie nagte so matlik slattie, ennie trane ons nie oppie mirrag skierlik vattie."

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Robin Mauro

Sep 11, 2018
North San Juan
✟27,401.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So, I am also an Afrikaner (a Boer in other words) living in South Africa. So for a little background:

The Afrikaners are the descendants of Dutch, German and French Huguenot ancestors (with a smattering of others and some early intermarriages) stemming from the colonisation of the Cape starting in 1652. The French especially were fleeing persecution for their Protestant faith after France revoked the edict of Nantes and began persecuting Protestants. The population creolised and developed their own language, Afrikaans.

Britain took over the Cape, prompting some of these to leave on account of taxation issues and perceived British Oppression (notably the hanging at Slagtersnek). This was the Great Trek of 1830, from where they settled the hinterland of South Africa to found their own Boer republics. These properly are the Boers, with whom Britain fought the two Boer wars.
They thought of themselves as having a lifestyle like the old Patriarchs of the Bible, and took the idea of being the 'New Israel' very seriously.

A group of them went to Natal and negotiated with the Zulu King Dingane for land, but he treacherously murdered an unarmed party under Piet Retief at a supposed friendly celebration. Subsequently Dingane tried to destroy all the Boers in Natal, but a small group of about 480, managed to defeat a Zulu force of 15000 at the Battle of Blood River. They had made a wagon laager and then withstood a day of Zulu onslaught until the river ran red with blood, hence the name. Before this battle, they had dedicated themselves to God and a New Covenant, if they were to be saved from the Zulus. The unlikely victory made the day (16 December) a solemn religious Boer holiday that was kept henceforth.

After Britain conquered the two Boer Republics set up in the hinterland (and annexing Natalia set up in Natal), these along with the British Cape Colony were combined into South Africa in 1910. The Cape population and the Boers came to regard themselves as one people again, the Afrikaners. Subsequently Apartheid was made law in South Africa and propogated by Afrikaner controlled governments (Apartheid is Afrikaans for Segregation, and is very much analogous). This ended in '94 when majority rule was instituted. The old Apartheid government had been overtly religious (at least on the outside) with the various Dutch Reformed Churches essentially acting as State Churches, and religious holidays became state holidays, with things like inappropriate contentography or overt blasphemy banned (such as banning Jesus Christ Superstar musical). The Apartheid goverment instuted discriminatory practices against the black majority, like curfews, pass-books, segregated utilities, no go areas, only allowing black land ownership in certain areas, etc.

Since '94 there has been a lot of anti-Afrikaans events in South Africa. Afrikaans schools were forced to become English or dual medium, prayer and Afrikaans cultural expression has been curtailed somewhat, religious holidays apart from Christmas and Easter abolished, and discrimination in employment and university placement instituted against Afrikaners as 'previously advantaged'.

There are also ongoing attempts to force the farmers off their land for Land Reform, recently they have been planning to do so without compensation. Much of this land has been in Afrikaans ownership for centuries, and significant portions legally bought from previous tribes or empty land settled (just prior to the Great Trek, the rise of the Zulu Kingdom prompted a largescale depopulation of central South Africa, called the Mfecane. The Boers moved into this void).

There is much residual hatred against the Afrikaners, so that horrific Farm Attacks occur, in which farmers are tortured and killed. The government statistics hide this by various tricks, as they are scared about their international reputation as The Rainbow Nation. There have been some independant documentaries on this recently though. Outside of Afrikaans media, they are often not reported. I worked in a rural referral hospital, so saw horrific attacks - such as women who had their faces forced onto hot grills or children tortured with boiling water or clothing irons.

So the Afrikaners used to be highly religious and saw themselves as a People of God under a new Covenant. Nowadays 16 December has become much less celebrated, the Afrikaners far more secular, and many of the Churches aging and emptying. We do need prayers though, as there are concerted efforts against our culture and livelihood. One of the parties in South Africa, the EFF, has stated they want to impoverish the Afrikaners and routinely sing anti-Apartheid songs like 'Kill the Boer' or 'Bring me my machine gun'. A lot of this animosity is based on economic imbalances and historic events. I don't know if I would call us 'true children of God' anymore. My wife says that the Afrikaner often acts like the children of Cain, and she is the daughter and granddaughter of Dutch Reformed ministers.

We are poor sinners here at the foot of Africa, with nowhere else to go. This is our home, though many are emigrating, becoming strangers in foreign lands. There is much hatred against us. We have not always been good, and as we fell away, whoring after other gods like Mammon and worldly power, perhaps it is poignant that God delivered this 'New Israel' into the power of New Philistines and Amorites. We need to return to God, to the faith of our fathers.

I second the need for prayers, but prayer as the Publican prayed: "Have mercy on us poor sinners, Lord."
Wow, thanks. I appreciate your unbiased view.
Lord, please help the Boers and indigenous peoples to live in peace; to do unto others as we would have them do unto us.
Israel too Lord, and the Palestinians.
Help us Father. We are all such sinners down here Lord. Please help us Lord; help the whole darn world and everyone n it. In Jesus' name I pray...your wili be done, on earth, as it is in heaven. We can do nothing right without you Father.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Bishop Desmond Tutu once said "When the white man first came to South Africa we had the land and they had the Bible. They said 'Let us bow our heads and close our eyes and pray together'. But when we opened our eyes they had the land and we had the Bible."

Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Bishop Desmond Tutu once said "When the white man first came to South Africa we had the land and they had the Bible. They said 'Let us bow our heads and close our eyes and pray together'. But when we opened our eyes they had the land and we had the Bible."
This is a misquote. It is from a play by Rolf Hochhuth that Archbishop Tutu quoted as a joke and has referenced in the past as a facile misrepresentation of the complex issues involved.
Tutu is a profoundly decent man, who has spoken out against seeking revenge or painting either side as villains. This is why he presided over the Truth and Reconciliation Commission that investigated Apartheid to seek peace and closure. He is a stern critic of the government's current policies.

• Informative
Reactions: JackRT
Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟776,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
MOD HAT ON

241648_7a7822ce9c8747e78d8294ec745454ab_thumb.jpg

Please keep discussions on topic and in line with this forum's SOP.

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Not going so well. Here is Black First Land First, a group affiliated to the EFF, threatening to kill all white men, their wives and their children. The government has so far not ruled it hate-speech. In fact, the President has said the anger is justified.

IMG-20181214-WA0016.jpg

Upvote 0

EzekielsWheels

Site Supporter
Oct 3, 2018
Southeast
Visit site
✟90,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Not going so well. Here is Black First Land First, a group affiliated to the EFF, threatening to kill all white men, their wives and their children. The government has so far not ruled it hate-speech. In fact, the President has said the anger is justified.

View attachment 247047

I am saddened to hear this brother. I pray Lord for mercy on the Boer people and peace in South Africa. Please forgive both sides of this conflict of their sins. May the principality of unforgiveness be bound in the name of Christ Jesus.

Upvote 0

Pope66

Dec 5, 2018
Sydney
✟33,699.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That was not a quote from Desmond Tutu. The real quote is: We closed our eyes. When we opened them we had the Bible and they had the land." - Desmond Tutu

Even though Boers where supposed to be very religious, there were many of them that were not spirit filled Christians as many hated Blacks. Also, the White Churches had a strong relationship and backing with the White ruled Government from 1948 to 1994. This dangerous relationship detracted from the role of the state to protect the rights of all of its citizens, regardless of their faith. It also eroded the ministry of the church, which should hold the state accountable for its service to the people. The church also needs to be free to exercise its religious and moral mandate without political interference.

South Africa was a mess during White ruling regime and today. I pray for South Africa where God can bless South Africa where all races can live in harmony.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DanishLutheran

Dec 22, 2018
Aarhus
✟25,867.00
Country
Denmark
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
That was not a quote from Desmond Tutu. The real quote is: We closed our eyes. When we opened them we had the Bible and they had the land." - Desmond Tutu

Even though Boers where supposed to be very religious, there were many of them that were not spirit filled Christians as many hated Blacks. Also, the White Churches had a strong relationship and backing with the White ruled Government from 1948 to 1994. This dangerous relationship detracted from the role of the state to protect the rights of all of its citizens, regardless of their faith. It also eroded the ministry of the church, which should hold the state accountable for its service to the people. The church also needs to be free to exercise its religious and moral mandate without political interference.

South Africa was a mess during White ruling regime and today. I pray for South Africa where God can bless South Africa where all races can live in harmony.

True as all of this is, it still looks like you're trying to play apologist for this kind of racism, only to then try to backtrack towards the end?

Upvote 0

Pope66

Dec 5, 2018
Sydney
✟33,699.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
True as all of this is, it still looks like you're trying to play apologist for this kind of racism, only to then try to backtrack towards the end?
Well the Dutch Reformed Church fully endorsed white lead apartheid from 1948 to the late 1980s. However, those within the Dutch Reformed church, even White members who spoke against this were persecuted. I even saw footage of one of the leaders of the Dutch Reformed Church in the 1950s referred to blacks as a lesser race meaning they are inferior.

The Evangelist Billy Graham would not preach in South Africa unless he was allowed to preach to unsegregated audiences. He eventually went there and here s a message Billy Graham gave to South Africa
all in his country, Billy Graham refused to preach to segregated audiences as he saw racial segregation as a sin. He was ahead of his time as he grew up in a part of the USA where racial segregation was normal.

Desmond Tutu, and he does his flaws however stated this:“To treat anyone as if they were less than human, less than a brother or a sister, no matter what they have done, is to contravene the very laws of our humanity.”
― Desmond Tutu, The Book of Forgiving: The Fourfold Path for Healing Ourselves and Our World

Desmond Tutu did not only spoke against the White ruled government but also the ruling ANC government.

Of course, it not just Whites can be Racist but Blacks as well. Racism no matter who does it is a sin. As Christians, we are to love our Neighbours as ourselves. In reply to the question “Who is my neighbour?” he responded with a pointed parable about a good Samaritan, a member of a despised race (Luke 10:25-37).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Pope66

Dec 5, 2018
Sydney
✟33,699.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
And so I repeat:
The violence today in South Africa had its roots from Apartheid. The oppression of the Blacks during that time did lead to many Blacks hating Whites and since then sought revenge.

With you mentioning you believe Whites should deserve to be classified as refugees, there are 68 million refugees in the world today.
And so I repeat:
The roots of the violence today in South Africa is derived from White ruled Apartheid. The seed of hatred was derived from this. The oppression of Blacks and non white minorities there by the white-ruled government did not help. A lot of White South Africans fled South Africa during white-ruled Apartheid as they saw something seriously wrong there and feared for their families there and saw that it not an environment to raise their children. I met many South Africans that left South Africans during the 1970s and 1980s. They continue to do so especially the well-educated professionals.

It, not just White people suffering from violence in South Africa but Blacks as well. South Africa is one of the most unequal societies in the world. A black person is more likely to be unemployed than a White Person. Also, a Black person is more likely to be homeless than a White person. Yes, there are many Whites homeless and living in shanty towns, however, it is more common seeing whole black townships like that. Also, most killings in South Africa are Blacks killing Blacks. Sure Whites are also being killed, and all killings are horrible.

Last edited:
Upvote 0