JW Source text for the New World Translation (2013)

DW1980

Don
Site Supporter
Dec 12, 2017
Scotland
✟121,809.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK - SNP
I’ve been comparing the 2013 NWT with the ESV and they’re remarkably similar. If, as many say, the JWs don’t have people qualified to undertake translation work, could they have used the RSV/ESV/NRSV as a source text to edit?

I know a lot was exposed about the translators of earlier editions of the NWT, does anyone know if a comparison has been done with other English translations? I’ve tried an online search but the minute you put in NWT and any other translation you get a mix of KJV Only stuff and people debunking the NWT - but nothing about the source of the NWT.

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Decades ago I spoke with a Christian who as a JW worked in their Watchtower Organization. He told me back then that they started with a King James Bible, and revised it using Westcort and Hort Greek English Interlinear before doing their paraphrasing to get around Jesus is God.

Upvote 0

FEZZILLA

Jun 24, 2003
Wisconsin
✟16,495.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Decades ago I spoke with a Christian who as a JW worked in their Watchtower Organization. He told me back then that they started with a King James Bible, and revised it using Westcort and Hort Greek English Interlinear before doing their paraphrasing to get around Jesus is God.
I personally don't debate other denominations on this forum but there is something I do want to add to this topic. An Interlinear isn't really good for much. It cannot be used to translate a Bible. A lexicon is much better to use for translating. However, a real translation of the Bible requires a mastery of the original languages and the most important manuscripts out there.

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I personally don't debate other denominations on this forum but there is something I do want to add to this topic. An Interlinear isn't really good for much. It cannot be used to translate a Bible. A lexicon is much better to use for translating. However, a real translation of the Bible requires a mastery of the original languages and the most important manuscripts out there.
John 1 - Interlinear Westcott & Hort WH Original Greek New Testament GNT Literal English Translation Strong's Concordance Online Parallel Bible Study
http://www.westcotthort.com/books/Westcott_Hort_Interlinear.pdf

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
During a court trial held in Scotland in 1954 (during the same period that the New World Translation was being made) Franz was asked if he had made himself familiar with Hebrew. His reply was "Yes." He also acknowledged under oath that he could read and follow the Bible in Hebrew, Greek, Latin, Spanish, Portuguese, German and French. The following day, during the same court trial, his linguistic abilities were put to the test.

He was asked to translate Genesis 2:4 into Hebrew. He failed the test as he was unable to do so. In fact he did not even try, but rather stated "No, I wouldn't attempt to do that." (See, Court of Session, Scotland - Douglas Walsh vs. The Right Honourable James Latham Clyde - November 1954.)A Critical Look at the Jehovah's Witness Bible

As a Bible scholar Franz would have to know the Hebrew Language. Mr. MacMillan, a former leader of the Jehovah's Witnesses, said, "He is also a scholar of Hebrew..."(FAITH ON THE MARCH, 1957, p. 182.)

Mr. Franz, under oath in a trial in Scotland, was asked: (Walsh Trial, P. 7).

Scottish Court of Sessions in November, 1954.

(Q): I think you are able to read and follow the Bible in Hebrew ....

(A). Yes.

The next day, he was put to the test. Could he really follow the Bible in Hebrew? Franz was asked to translate a simple Bible text at Genesis 2:4:6

(Q): I think we come to the name Jehovah in the forth verse, don't we, of the second chapter of Genesis ... [page 34]

(A). Yes.

(Q): You, yourself, read and speak Hebrew, do you?

(Remember, Franz had admitted to this the previous day)

(A): I do not speak Hebrew.

(The examiner was surprised to hear this)

(Q): You do not!

(A). No.

Q): Can you, yourself, translate that into Hebrew?

(A): Which?

(Q): That fourth verse of the second chapter of Genesis?

(A): You mean here?

(Q). Yes?

(A): No, I won't attempt to do that.

What Franz "wouldn't attempt" to translate into Hebrew is what many have said as a simple exercise an average first or second-year Hebrew student in seminary would be able to do. Franz could neither speak Hebrew nor translate the English to Hebrew. The President of the Watchtower allowed Jehovah's Witnesses to believe he is a Bible scholar having an education in Biblical languages. The facts show otherwise. He is not a scholar. In fact, there is not one Bible scholar among the Watchtower leaders. There couldn’t be one in good conscience because of their theology and what they have done in their translation.
The word was what?

Upvote 0

DW1980

Don
Site Supporter
Dec 12, 2017
Scotland
✟121,809.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK - SNP
During a court trial held in Scotland in 1954 (during the same period that the New World Translation was being made) Franz was asked if he had made himself familiar with Hebrew. His reply was "Yes." He also acknowledged under oath that he could read and follow the Bible in Hebrew, Greek, Latin, Spanish, Portuguese, German and French. The following day, during the same court trial, his linguistic abilities were put to the test.

He was asked to translate Genesis 2:4 into Hebrew. He failed the test as he was unable to do so. In fact he did not even try, but rather stated "No, I wouldn't attempt to do that." (See, Court of Session, Scotland - Douglas Walsh vs. The Right Honourable James Latham Clyde - November 1954.)A Critical Look at the Jehovah's Witness Bible

As a Bible scholar Franz would have to know the Hebrew Language. Mr. MacMillan, a former leader of the Jehovah's Witnesses, said, "He is also a scholar of Hebrew..."(FAITH ON THE MARCH, 1957, p. 182.)

Scottish Court of Sessions in November, 1954.

(Q): I think you are able to read and follow the Bible in Hebrew ....

(A). Yes.

The next day, he was put to the test. Could he really follow the Bible in Hebrew? Franz was asked to translate a simple Bible text at Genesis 2:4:6

(Q): I think we come to the name Jehovah in the forth verse, don't we, of the second chapter of Genesis ... [page 34]

(A). Yes.

(Q): You, yourself, read and speak Hebrew, do you?

(Remember, Franz had admitted to this the previous day)

(A): I do not speak Hebrew.

(The examiner was surprised to hear this)

(Q): You do not!

(A). No.

Q): Can you, yourself, translate that into Hebrew?

(A): Which?

(Q): That fourth verse of the second chapter of Genesis?

(A): You mean here?

(Q). Yes?

(A): No, I won't attempt to do that.

What Franz "wouldn't attempt" to translate into Hebrew is what many have said as a simple exercise an average first or second-year Hebrew student in seminary would be able to do. Franz could neither speak Hebrew nor translate the English to Hebrew. The President of the Watchtower allowed Jehovah's Witnesses to believe he is a Bible scholar having an education in Biblical languages. The facts show otherwise. He is not a scholar. In fact, there is not one Bible scholar among the Watchtower leaders. There couldn’t be one in good conscience because of their theology and what they have done in their translation.
The word was what?

Hi, yes that was the original NWT - I was wondering about the 2013 update! :)

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I’ve been comparing the 2013 NWT with the ESV and they’re remarkably similar. If, as many say, the JWs don’t have people qualified to undertake translation work, could they have used the RSV/ESV/NRSV as a source text to edit?

I know a lot was exposed about the translators of earlier editions of the NWT, does anyone know if a comparison has been done with other English translations? I’ve tried an online search but the minute you put in NWT and any other translation you get a mix of KJV Only stuff and people debunking the NWT - but nothing about the source of the NWT.

JWs have about 8.4 million members as of 2018 -- it is very very hard to believe that out of 8 million people they could not find ten folks that read Hebrew and ten that read Greek accurately -- or at least reasonably well.

There are other groups that have at least some false doctrine that have people who can read Greek and Hebrew, why would the JW group be any different?

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Ok so then "not Franz"... surely by the time they got to over 8 million members - they found 10 people who could read Hebrew and ten who could read Greek. My neighbor is learning to do that now and not even a JW - in her spare time.

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
JWs have about 8.4 million members as of 2018 -- it is very very hard to believe that out of 8 million people they could not find ten folks that read Hebrew and ten that read Greek accurately -- or at least reasonably well.

There are other groups that have at least some false doctrine that have people who can read Greek and Hebrew, why would the JW group be any different?

"
Compared with other U.S. religious groups, Jehovah’s Witnesses tend to be less educated. A solid majority of adult Jehovah’s Witnesses (63%) have no more than a high school diploma, compared with, for example, 43% of evangelical Protestants and 37% of mainline Protestants.

Jehovah’s Witnesses have a low retention rate relative to other U.S. religious groups. Among all U.S. adults who were raised as Jehovah’s Witnesses, two-thirds (66%) no longer identify with the group. By contrast, about two-thirds of those who were raised as evangelical Protestants (65%) and Mormons (64%) still say they are members of those respective groups." A closer look at Jehovah's Witnesses living in the U.S.

Jehovah’s Witnesses are advised against pursuing a higher education, with Watchtower providing regular warnings that attending university is an improper use of time in these last days. The outcome of these warnings is that Jehovah’s Witnesses have amongst the lowest average education and income levels of any religion in the United States, as shown in independent studies, such as the U.S. Religious Landscape Survey 2008 by the Pew Forum.

“Many schools now have student counselors who encourage one to pursue higher education after high school, to pursue a career with a future in this system of things. Do not be influenced by them. Do not let them “brainwash” you with the Devil's propaganda to get ahead, to make something of yourself in this world. This world has very little time left! Any “future” this world offers is no future! Wisely, then, let God's Word influence you in selecting a course that will result in your protection and blessing. Make pioneer service, the full-time ministry, with the possibility of Bethel or missionary service your goal.” Watchtower 1969 Mar 15 p.171

“No doubt, school counselors sincerely believe that it is in your best interests to pursue higher education and to plan for a secular career. Yet, their confidence lies in a social and financial system that has no lasting future.” Watchtower 2012 Jun 15 p.23

"She admits: “Studying for my courses took so much time and effort that I was too busy to linger in prayer to Jehovah the way I used to, too exhausted to enjoy Bible discussions with others, and too tired to prepare well for the meetings. Thankfully, once I realized that being immersed in higher education was damaging my relationship with Jehovah, I knew I had to stop. And I did." Watchtower 2019 Jun p.7

“What effect did higher education have on this sister’s thinking? She answers: “I am ashamed to admit that the education I pursued taught me to be critical of others, especially my brothers and sisters, to expect too much of them, and to isolate myself from them. It took me a long time to unlearn these lessons. That time in my life showed me just how dangerous it is to ignore the warnings given by our heavenly Father through his organization. Jehovah knew me better than I knew myself. If only I had listened!”” Watchtower 2019 Jun p.7

Higher Education - Jehovah's Witness stance against university

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Higher education can lead to moral and spiritual dangers
A Bible proverb says: “The shrewd one sees the danger and conceals himself.” (Proverbs 22:3) Jehovah’s Witnesses feel that the environment in some universities or similar centers of higher learning can pose moral and spiritual dangers. For that reason, many Witnesses choose not to immerse themselves or their children in such an environment. They feel that in centers of higher learning, mistaken ideas such as the following are often promoted:

• Misconception: Money brings happiness and security

Higher education is often promoted as the surest way to a high-paying job, so an increasing number of students attend a university primarily to make more money. Some hope that money will bring them happiness and security, yet the Bible exposes the futility of such thinking. (Ecclesiastes 5:10) More important, the Bible also teaches that “the love of money is a root of all sorts of injurious things” and often leads to a loss of faith. (1 Timothy 6:10) Jehovah’s Witnesses make every effort to avoid being ensnared by “the deceptive power of riches.”—Matthew 13:22.

• Misconception: A person should seek the prestige or status that can result from higher education

For example, Nika Gilauri, a former prime minister of Georgia, wrote regarding the common viewpoint in his homeland: “A university degree is almost obligatory as a status symbol in Georgia. . . . [In the past,] young people who did not get a degree were a disgrace to their families.” * In contrast, the Bible warns against seeking prominence in this world. Jesus told the glory-seeking religious leaders of his day: “How can you believe, when you are accepting glory from one another?” (John 5:44) The university environment could foster a haughty spirit, which God hates.—Proverbs 6:16, 17; 1 Peter 5:5.

• Misconception: Each person should set his own standards of right and wrong

Jehovah’s Witnesses accept God’s standards of right and wrong. (Isaiah 5:20) However, according to an article published in the Journal of Alcohol and Drug Education, peer pressure in universities leads many students to “make decisions contrary to their established knowledge of right and wrong.” * This observation agrees with the Bible principle: “Bad associations spoil useful habits.” (1 Corinthians 15:33) In the university environment, practices that God condemns, such as drunkenness, drug use, and sex outside marriage, are often common and even encouraged.—1 Corinthians 6:9, 10; 2 Corinthians 7:1.

• Misconception: Higher education is the best way to improve the world

We recognize that many pursue higher education, not to gain wealth, prestige, or illicit pleasure, but to improve themselves and the world. These are noble goals, but Jehovah’s Witnesses have chosen a different path. Like Jesus, we look to God’s Kingdom as the only hope for a better world. (Matthew 6:9, 10) However, we do not passively wait for the Kingdom to solve the world’s problems. Instead, like Jesus, we share “this good news of the Kingdom” throughout the earth, helping hundreds of thousands of people every year to transform their lives for the better. *Matthew 24:14.

• https://www.jw.org/en/jehovahs-witnesses/faq/jw-education-school/#link2

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Ok so then "not Franz"... surely by the time they got to over 8 million members - they found 10 people who could read Hebrew and ten who could read Greek. My neighbor is learning to do that now and not even a JW - in her spare time.

They would need to learn to translate Greek and Hebrew in Non-watchtower Bible Seminaries.
The result is they would leave the Jehovah's Witnesses.

Greg Stafford no longer a JW
Crisis of Conscience by Raymond Franz
https://www.amazon.com/Jehovahs-Witnesses-Defended-Scholars-Critics/dp/0965981479
https://credohouse.org/blog/greg-stafford-defends-jehovahs-witnesses-from-the-margins
Books and Media
Criticism of Jehovah's Witnesses - Wikipedia
A Reply to Greg Stafford

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

There are differences between Biblical Hebrew, Biblical Greek and Modern Hebrew, Modern Greek. Concerning Greek, There is a Case System Differences.

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf...hUKEwjlvojluu3lAhVIRqwKHYVMBZ0Q4dUDCAg&uact=5

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

If memory serves me right, there are 8 cases in Biblical Greek and 5 cases in modern Greek.

Upvote 0

LightBearer

Veteran
Aug 9, 2002
Visit site
✟19,072.00
Faith
Jehovahs Witness
Bottom line, research shows that Jw's have lower education levels than the general public.

Uncoincidentally, they made similar observations about the true Christians in the first century. How fine it is to be in good christian company with our first century brothers.

Acts 4:13 Now when they saw the outspokenness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were uneducated and ordinary men, they were astonished. And they began to realize that they had been with Jesus.

1 Cor 1:26,27 For you see his calling of you, brothers, that there are not many wise in a fleshly way, not many powerful, not many of noble birth, but God chose the foolish things of the world to put the wise men to shame; and God chose the weak things of the world to put the strong things to shame;

Over and out.

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Uncoincidentally, they made similar observations about the true Christians in the first century. How fine it is to be in good christian company with our first century brothers.

Acts 4:13 Now when they saw the outspokenness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were uneducated and ordinary men, they were astonished. And they began to realize that they had been with Jesus.

1 Cor 1:26,27 For you see his calling of you, brothers, that there are not many wise in a fleshly way, not many powerful, not many of noble birth, but God chose the foolish things of the world to put the wise men to shame; and God chose the weak things of the world to put the strong things to shame;

Over and out.

The uneducated in Scripture simply has the meaning of not trained in things like the Talmud, Temple, etc.,. The Church Fathers were very Educated. Paul was very Educated.
The lower education today is based on modern methods of research. That is a big difference.

"
PAUL'S CHILDHOOD AND EDUCATION

The psychology of a person's childhood is always reflected in his life's work. Paul's curriculum vitae, that is, the "course of his life", was directed in the grooves which were drummed into him during his education, including Greek culture and the teaching of the rabbis. God's prevenient grace and guidance is effective in us even before we become aware of his plans. I might be so bold as to say that Paul's missionary calling, the basic character of his activities and even the special emphases of his teaching were programmed into his inner being before his spiritual crisis on the Damascus road. It is as though, having encountered Jesus, all his seeking and questions just clicked into place.

In archaeology individual pieces of mosaic have no function of their own. But when the ground yields up a broken outline, separate fragments find their right "topos" or "place". And thus an integrated whole is created. Similarly, Paul's stray references to his home and education help to create an overall picture of his later life.

In Paul's world, education and teaching had already been transferred from families to society. Thus he too received the building material of his life both at home and at school. In Palestine the first regulations about providing free teaching were based on discussions held in c. 200 B.C.

The apocryphal book of Sirach refers to this free teaching, on which the present-day law of compulsory education is based. Its author, Yeshua Ben Sira, wrote in Old Testament Hebrew. In the final exhortation of his book he exclaims, "Draw near to me, you who are untaught, and lodge in my school... I opened my mouth ...without charge ... let your souls receive instruction." Sirach had his own academy in Jerusalem, where they taught ethical questions and the Law.

About one hundred years later, Shimon Ben Shetah suggested that the Jewish community should provide free teaching to its members.

Rabbi Gamaliel, familiar from the book of Acts, often repeated that everyone should provide himself with a teacher, because it also prepares us "for the life to come." At first teaching was restricted mainly to religious issues.

Very early on children were also taught other skills of life. Scholars said, "Torah which is not combined with the teaching of skill with the hands leads finally to laziness and sin." Thus inactivity gives way to "the evil impulse", and that leads to a fall. A "profession" meant studying "the things of heaven" and practical life. "He who does not teach his son a profession makes him a good-for-nothing." A father should also teach his children to swim, for instance; thus they had a chance of survival even in difficult circumstances --- we remember that Paul once "spent a night and a day in the open sea."

Paul tells of himself: "I am a Jew, from Tarsus in Cilicia, a citizen of no ordinary city." "I was circumcised on the eighth day, of the people of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew born of Hebrews, as to the Law a Pharisee." I have been a Roman citizen "since I was born." "The Jews all know the way I have lived ever since I was a child, from the beginning of my life in my own country, and also in Jerusalem." And I was "taught at the feet of Gamaliel." Paul felt, however, that he was like an "abnormally born" weakling and "the least of the Apostles" because he had persecuted the church.

Organized schools originated in connection with the synagogue. They usually had a so-called "beit ha-sefer" or "house of the book". The subject-matter of teaching was principally the Bible. Early on the so-called "beit talmud", "the house of learning", was distinguished from it. Here they concentrated on explaining the traditions of the fathers. One teacher was always entrusted with twenty-five pupils, but if the number of children rose to forty, he was assigned an assistant. In this way Israel might remain "the people of the book."

Fathers often saw to it that when they grew up boys were sent to Jerusalem for further study. Rabbi Gamaliel had founded there a school for five hundred pupils, where they also taught Greek philosophy, so that the pupils could later keep in contact with their provincial governors. It is estimated that in the whole Mediterranean area there were then over one hundred and fifty centres with their synagogues. Once Professor David Flusser of the Hebrew University of Jerusalem pointed out that the areas mentioned in Acts in the description of Pentecost, the areas from which Jews had come to the festival, covered the most important Jewish colonies of the time.

Paul was evidently influenced mainly by Stoicism. This can be deduced from, for instance, his discipline and self-denial in missionary work. Paul indeed avoided using the names of scholars of his time, although he might borrow their ideas. In Acts 17 he refers to what "some of your poets" have said. In his Areiopagus speech he shows that he knows the poets Epimenides, who lived five hundred years earlier, and Aratus from Cilicia (315-245 B.C.). They wrote that "we are the kin of the gods." In Titus 1:12 Paul also quotes the words of Epimenides, who was from the island of Crete: "Cretans are always liars, evil brutes, lazy gluttons."""

PAUL'S CHILDHOOD AND EDUCATION

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Daniel Marsh said:
Bottom line, research shows that Jw's have lower education levels than the general public.

My understanding is that JWs have zero universities. They frown on getting higher education or attending universities because they view them as places of sin and moral corruption. Which means that JW families would have less interest than the average family in getting their children into high education

Over and out.

Acts 17:11, Acts 18:4, Acts 1:1-5 , 2 Tim 3:16-17 show that the Early Christians could read Greek. My question is whether JWs have any Bible language scholars at all in their midst that are remotely connected with translating the NWT.

At first I "assumed" that given a denomination of 8 million they had at least 5 or ten such scholars... but I am starting to wonder if possibly that severe hatchet-job they did on the NWT chased off anyone who might have at first had an interest in JW teaching until they saw how abusive their treatment of the text was as seen in the NWT.

• Winner
Reactions: Daniel Marsh
Upvote 0