Sounds like US was best prepared for pandemic

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Execution =/= preparedness

You can check the steepness of the exponential for the US compared to other countries. The US doesn't come out looking good.

Very likely because of the medical system, death rates and health outcomes may be better here, but that's not the whole story. How and how fast did we turn our preparedness into action?
This bears quoting again, this thread is a red herring. Being prepared to address a crisis is not the same thing as responding to a crisis. Had they responded to the crisis in the way South Korea responded to the crisis, we would likely be in a different position (both countries had their first recorded case of coronavirus on the same day). What matters is whether you responded to the threat appropriately; South Korea did, the United States did not.

• Agree
Reactions: Paulos23
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,002.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
What policies and procedures didn't we follow in in the preparedness plan?

If you read the report, that’s not nearly the entirety of what it looks at. Yes, it looks at whether we’ve made certain plans or run certain simulations, but it also looks at things like access to communication, access to healthcare, and capacity of government to halt travel and trade.

But to answer your question of what we didn’t follow through on, here’s one example:

3.5 Risk Communication

3.5.1) Risk communication systems

1 Questions under this indicator:
Question 1:
3.5.1a) Does the country have in place, either in the national public health emergency response plan or in other legislation, regulation or strategy documents, a section detailing a risk communication plan that is specifically intended for use during a public health emergency?
Score and/or Justification:
The US government provides guidance on risk communication as part of its general disaster management system and in information relating specifically to public health emergencies. The Incident Communications Emergency Policy and Procedures (ICEPP), part of the National Response Framework for disasters and emergencies of all kinds, provide guidance for risk communicators during a coordinated federal response.[1] The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) under the Department of Health and Human Services is responsible for leading public health emergency preparedness and response. CDC’s Crisis and Emergency Risk Communication (CERC) programme “provides trainings, tools, and resources to help health communicators, emergency responders, and leaders of organizations communicate effectively during emergencies.” Details of the programme and a CERC manual are available from the CDC’s website.[1,2,3]

3.5.2) Public communication

2 Questions under this indicator:
Question 1:
3.5.2a) Is there evidence that the government utilises media platforms (eg social media, website updates) to inform the public about public health emergencies?
Score and/or Justification:
In the US, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), under the Department for Health and Human Services, utilises website updates and social media platforms to inform the public about public health emergencies. The CDC updates pages on its own website with alerts on local and global disease outbreaks and related travel advice.[1,2] The CDC’s Office of Public Health Preparedness and Response (OPHPR) has Twitter and Facebook accounts which provide public alerts about disease outbreaks and public health emergencies.[3,4]

Trump undermines the professional communications every time he says or tweets something inaccurate or misleading. That represents a failure to implement the plan for which this report awarded a high score.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,267.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Is there where you tell us you know better than people like Max Brooks? Yea, that's what I thought.
The fact is rjs330, no matter what I write here, you will find some excuse for the President's incompetence. What a waste of time.

What incompetence? You cannot say someone is incompetent if they followed the plan. Do you have evidence that the plan was presented and the president said "we are not going to follow the plan"?

Does Brooke's? Maybe previous administrations should have consulted with Brooke's in order to create the plan. Did they?

I will say the president botched this IF you can show that the people presented the plan to the president and he decided not to follow it. If they said "Mr President our plan says we need to do this now." And the president said"No we are not going to" then he totally botched it.

Until then, criticize the plan. Because if the plan failed then it's the plan, not the president.

Upvote 0

solid_core

Oct 13, 2019
Vienna
✟50,919.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
It appears America was best prepared for this pandemic than any one else in the world.
If you want to ignore Germany, South Korea and many other countries, then yes, you are the best in the world.

In a real universe, you are doing better than Italy, Spain, France and Iran, for now. But still, they have enough of toilet paper.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,267.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Not sure if you are correct.

Given the number of new cases as of today, the USA sits in third place behind Italy.
The number of new cases today in the USA was double the number of new cases in Italy.

The USA had 11,200 new cases while Italy had 5,200 new cases.

It sure looks like the USA will quickly surpass Italy and be chasing down China who sits in first place. China incidentally only had 67 new cases.

I'm backing the USA to win and by a large margin; due to it's business as usual obsession.

At some point governor's, mayor's, American citizens themselves have to take responsibility for the spread. We've been told for quite some time what we need to do to flatten the curve. Yet we still travelz go on Spring break, crowd together etc. Most of this taking place in the crowded cities. The refusal of people to do what's necessary does not rest on the president or the federal plan.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟367,610.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
To have a system described as prepared and yet having one of the worst results, in my mind's, falls squarely on ineffective leadership that did not use the right tools at the right time.

Whichs is not to say the right tools are not being used now. Just that they weren't used for greatest impact. Perhaps that happens when the seriousness of the disease is constantly downplayed as a threat for over a month

Upvote 0

GreatLakes4Ever

Jan 2, 2019
Midwest
✟264,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Engaged
At some point governor's, mayor's, American citizens themselves have to take responsibility for the spread. We've been told for quite some time what we need to do to flatten the curve. Yet we still travelz go on Spring break, crowd together etc. Most of this taking place in the crowded cities. The refusal of people to do what's necessary does not rest on the president or the federal plan.

Governors are taking responsibility with their “Safe at Home” orders and attempting to purchase medical equipment (when Trump doesn’t outbid them). They for sure are going to be responsible when Trump says the country is open again on Easter and they flat out ignore him and continue their policies. He’ll probably have a psychotic break when he is clearly not listened to anymore. It’s why he needs the stock of medical supplies as leverage, otherwise he will be wholly irrelevant in this crisis which is the last thing you want from a leader.

Upvote 0

GreatLakes4Ever

Jan 2, 2019
Midwest
✟264,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Engaged
It appears America was best prepared for this pandemic than any one else in the world. We had processes and procedures in place to deal with this sort of thing. That's of course no thanks to any one person or president but a work of our government as a whole. So for those claiming we were I'll prepared and it was all of Trump's fault, we actually we're very prepared as of 2019. So as long as we followed our policies and procedures, which I'm sure we have it appears the leftists are barking up the wrong tree with the blame game.

That's not to say we can't be better. Ranking #1 in the world just means we were the best, it doesn't mean we have achieved everything we could. It appears we definitely need to make more changes in the way we do things and have those processes in place for the next one. I am confident we will.
US was ranked the best-prepared country for a pandemic in late 2019 by a Johns Hopkins study

I’m honestly still trying to figure out what you were hoping to accomplish with this thread. It could be effectively argued that USA’s problems dealing with Covid-19 is systemic. Just how our country is designed could be a major hinderance. You bring up how we are “the best prepared”. Look outside, we’re one of the worst countries at dealing with this. What happened? Execution, which starts at the Executive Branch of the Federal Government, failed. In my view, you just scored an own goal against yourself by highlighting how we should be fine but aren’t due to a failure in execution.

If you wanted to carry water for Big Papa Trump, you would have been significantly better off never mentioning this report which I didn’t know existed until you brought it up.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,267.00
Faith
Pentecostal
It says we should have acted more when we first heard about covid-19. We should have been testing everyone coming in. We should have been getting ready.

Instead, we have a President who thinks the worse is behind us, when it is not, and states that are scrambling to do something when there is no leadership from the top.

How soon from our first knowledge of this virus coming here does the plan say we should have started testing everyone? Apparently the plan esyablishes the CDC is in charge of the testing proceedures and if there is a failure of the tests it's NOT ON THE PRESIDENT. The plan was followed.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,267.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Yeah, that we’re probably going to brush past China by the end of this month is...unsettling. Though, I’m not sure I 100% trust China’s reports. That is sort of the problem with some of the reports, we have to take every country at their word.

I don't trust China either. With any of this. The other point to make is that China is also a communist country with total full control of it's citizens. They will use the military to shut things and people down hard. We don't do that here. Can you imagine the uproar if the military marched in and started shutting everyone down at gun point?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,267.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Well, yes - you can read about the timeline in any number of places.

We have the timeline wehere we acted and the proceedures we took. Does that timeline match the plan? Where does the plan say we should do something and the president refuses to do it?

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We have the timeline wehere we acted and the proceedures we took. Does that timeline match the plan? Where does the plan say we should do something and the president refuses to do it?

You really need to reflect a bit on how ridiculous this line of thought is.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,267.00
Faith
Pentecostal
I’m honestly still trying to figure out what you were hoping to accomplish with this thread. It could be effectively argued that USA’s problems dealing with Covid-19 is systemic. Just how our country is designed could be a major hinderance. You bring up how we are “the best prepared”. Look outside, we’re one of the worst countries at dealing with this. What happened? Execution, which starts at the Executive Branch of the Federal Government, failed. In my view, you just scored an own goal against yourself by highlighting how we should be fine but aren’t due to a failure in execution.

If you wanted to carry water for Big Papa Trump, you would have been significantly better off never mentioning this report which I didn’t know existed until you brought it up.

You still have yet to provide evidence that we failed to follow the policies and procedures. A bunch of opinions, but no actual evidence.

Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟311,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How soon from our first knowledge of this virus coming here does the plan say we should have started testing everyone? Apparently the plan esyablishes the CDC is in charge of the testing proceedures and if there is a failure of the tests it's NOT ON THE PRESIDENT. The plan was followed.
And who is in charge of the CDC? The President.

I am sure, and I think there is reporting on this, that the CDC and other people came to the White House saying plans should be activated. The President didn't act, and based on his statements at the time thought it would stay in China. Anyone in the CDC would have told him no, but the President claims to be an expert on everything, and when you counter him he shuts down or shuts you down.

The more you claim the President is not responsible for this crisis, the more it is clear that he is. The buck stops at the President's desk, whether he likes it or not.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,267.00
Faith
Pentecostal
If you read the report, that’s not nearly the entirety of what it looks at. Yes, it looks at whether we’ve made certain plans or run certain simulations, but it also looks at things like access to communication, access to healthcare, and capacity of government to halt travel and trade.

But to answer your question of what we didn’t follow through on, here’s one example:

Trump undermines the professional communications every time he says or tweets something inaccurate or misleading. That represents a failure to implement the plan for which this report awarded a high score.

I think you are right on this one. I do believe he was trying to be optimistic about stuff originally. He's changed his tune though. BUT he shouldn't have said stuff like "15 then 0". That was totally inaccurate.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GreatLakes4Ever

Jan 2, 2019
Midwest
✟264,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Engaged
You still have yet to provide evidence that we failed to follow the policies and procedures. A bunch of opinions, but no actual evidence.

Where is this plan you speak of? Your link in the OP goes to stats. Show me the plan and I’ll find where Trump failed. The stats say we should be succeeding but aren’t.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,428,363.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What incompetence? You cannot say someone is incompetent if they followed the plan. Do you have evidence that the plan was presented and the president said "we are not going to follow the plan"?

pffft. Obviously, none of us were in the White House meetings. We can, however, judge the President's performance by the lack of results.

Let's take one example:
Respirators

By early February (if not sooner) it was obvious, based on the experience in China, that x number of respirators would needed to support an infected population.

What did the President do?

• Useful
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,267.00
Faith
Pentecostal
And who is in charge of the CDC? The President.

I am sure, and I think there is reporting on this, that the CDC and other people came to the White House saying plans should be activated. The President didn't act, and based on his statements at the time thought it would stay in China. Anyone in the CDC would have told him no, but the President claims to be an expert on everything, and when you counter him he shuts down or shuts you down.

The more you claim the President is not responsible for this crisis, the more it is clear that he is. The buck stops at the President's desk, whether he likes it or not.

The buck does stop at his desk. But if you are president you depend in established plans on procedures. Otherwise why bother having them? You don't build these things in order just to ignore them. So if the plan say to do this or that and you do this or that and it doesn't work it's not the presidents fault.

So my question stands. When did the CDC say, "Mr. President, we need to do this now cause that's the established plan" and the president refused to do it?

If you have proof of this and it was a critical incident then the president failed.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,267.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Where is this plan you speak of? Your link in the OP goes to stats. Show me the plan and I’ll find where Trump failed. The stats say we should be succeeding but aren’t.

The report says we were the best prepared. You say we failed. So it's up to you to prove that we failed to follow our plan. If we did follow the plan thennits a failure of the PLAN which was created long before the president took office.

Upvote 0